“Would Never Stay Here Again”

Wingate by Wyndham Greensboro
Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Washington DC
“Would Never Stay Here Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

First time I ever stayed at a Wingate Inn and it will be the last time. From the front lobby, the place looked pretty decent and I received a good rate.

Thin Walls- Sketchy People
Staying there was not good at all. Had paper thin walls and heard a loud party going on all night next door. The people next door were playing loud music, yelling, and cursing. Hotel did nothing about it. Finally turned on my radio's white noise loud to try and block it out. Bottom line is that there were some sketchy people staying here. Looks like this place might have been nice 10 years ago, but is kind of sketch today.

Poor Management
After spending close to $600 at this place on two rooms, I noticed there was a $75 charge on my account several weeks later. I called up to the hotel and two different employees could not tell me what it was. After calling several times and finally getting the manager, I was told it was a charge for a "bed skirt".
Basically, there is no way to contest this. They said the bed skirt was missing, so I'm charged for it. No one called me, notified me, etc. Just a charge shows up and it can't be explained for a while. Why would anyone want that nasty bed skirt? Who knows what in the world has gone on, on that thing. Why would someone want to steal it? Not me, that's for sure.

Rude Manager
After speaking with the manager, I determined I would never stay at one of these places again. She was patronizing in my conversation and informed me that, that bed skirt costs a whole lot more than $75. What am I supposed to do, thank her for the discount? She had no explanation as to why I wasn't contacted about this matter. Even though I spent a ton at her place, she wasn't interested in even talking about this.

Basically, if they say you took something there is no way to contest it or prove you didn't. They won't even ask you about it, you will just get charged and have to figure it out.

BTW, I recently stayed at the Hyatt Place around the corner. Stay there. Wingate Inn is hood, don't stay there.

Room Tip: Go to the Hyatt Place around the corner.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank David D
MOverbeyGM, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Greensboro, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
We are sorry for your experience at our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

This interior corridor motel is conveniently located just off I-40 in an area of shopping and restaurants. There is plenty of free parking. Our check-in was quick and as reserved. In the room we found a small gift bag with bottled water, snacks and a personalized note to us by name, thanking us for our business as Wyndham Rewards members.

The large room was decorated with painted walls and framed art. The furniture included 2 comfortable queen beds, night tables, a desk with office chair, an upholstered chair with ottoman, a wooden chair, a table and lamp, a bench for luggage, and a 3-drawer dresser which served as a stand for a 37” flat panel television. Amenities included a closet, clock radio, microwave, refrigerator, hair dryer, iron and board, and a single-cup type coffeemaker. In addition to the desk phone there was a cordless handset on a night table. Everything was clean and in good working order. The room was comfortable and quiet. The furniture was a step up in quality from the usual style found in motels.

The free wireless Internet connected quickly and maintained a 54Mbps connection. A business center off the large lobby provided several workstations with printers.

The “all-in-one” bathroom included a 6-foot long vanity and was nicely decorated with wallpaper and upgraded surfaces. The only gripe was the faucet spout only extended over the sink area about one inch, causing a lot of water to splash back onto the counter surface around the faucet.

In the morning we found our bill had been slipped under the door, along with a complimentary copy of USA Today. A nice touch!

The free breakfast in the large dining area included coffee, tea, juices, milk, scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles, English muffins, bagels, toast, muffins, Danish, cereal, oatmeal and fresh fruit. An attendant kept everything stocked.

This was one of the most exceptional properties that we have stayed in. It was easily equal in décor, accommodations and room amenities to many luxury hotels, but at a much more reasonable price and without the nitpicking extra charges.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your patronage and taking the time to write such a great review for our hotel.
Hesperia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

Our daughter moved since last year so we had to find a new hotel that was nearer her new home. We tried this hotel and it was quite nice. It was renovated last year and the rooms are big, with a sitting area, coffee maker, fridge and micro. They have a pool, outside, a hot tub, inside, a fitness room and a business center. The staff was very accomodating. Morning brings a great hot breakfast including eggs each day. For all this the price was nominal.
We will stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and had no problems at all.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Newport, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hello,
I have been to this hotel many times before on trips to Greensboro and with little or no problems before. But, while on our trip during Thanksgiving week to see my parents myself and family were very disapointed.
The hot tub didnt work, and the hotel was not as clean as before. Our room must have had the worst matresses to sleep on in the whole place. But the worst was on our return to the room on Saturday night, we didnt have any towels at all in our room.
After staying here several times before on trips, it looks like now we need to find a new place to stay.

Room Tip: I would get a king suite room if I were you!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Rocky Mount
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

If going to Greensboro this is the place Great and friendly staff comfortable room very good breakfast not cheap continental very happy will be back next trip

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank knives4u
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Hotel is fine. Rooms functional and clean. However on weekends, Wingates attract family's with kids. The outside pool can be very active and noisy and persists until dark. Breakfast is the usual and is managed well.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UFO
Charco, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

Found this room at last second when all others were booked so I was skeptical. The room was very nice and the staff bent over backwards for us. There are places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple