“Great experience. Be near to the waters”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kerala Kayaking

Kerala Kayaking
Ranked #1 of 37 Tours in Alappuzha
More attraction details
Owner description: Kerala Kayaking is 1st company in Alleppey introduce kayaking tour in Alleppey backwater. we are also provide single track cycling in village. Travelers can choose Kayak and cycle together. See the peaceful villages, smiling children and farmers hard at work. An excellent opportunity to see day today life of villagers, local people engaged in paddy cultivation, Temples, fishing, duck rearing, and shell and mud collection for the farms. Mechanized shikkara boat act as support boat.Morning Trips Starts at 6:30 AM onward. Sit On Top beginners advance kayak with guide. Enjoy the real local life. Mineral water, Juice, Snacks, Tender Coconut, Tea, taste toddy & local dishes. Visit the small canal with kayak. We are doing 4 hour, 7 hours, 10 hours daily kayaking tours as well as 1 night, 2 night, 3 night kayaking expedition tour packages also.
San Diego
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great experience. Be near to the waters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Let me first put it straight. Do not compare house boats and a canoe. They are two different experiences. You wont have the luxury of a/c rooms in a canoe and you wont have the adventure of canoeing in a house boat. So what i did was took house boat for one day and on the next i and my wife went on a canoe..

Do carry mosquito repellent with you as there would be more insects as you are more near to the water and no protection. Do ask the person who is rowing the boat to take you into the narrow channels because there is where the fun lies. Take a 3- 4 hr tour. It is worth it. The person took us to a village for lunch where i was again amazed to find all the facilities for food. We could have veg , non veg, maggi, tea, coffee, drinks, etc in a small restaurant located by the waters ..

Orillia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“An alternative to the polluting houseboats for experiencing the backwaters of Alleppey, Kerala.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

When planning a trip to the backwaters of Alleppey, Kerala, my wife and I had all intentions of spending a night or two on a houseboat of which we had heard so much. However upon arriving and seeing the scores of huge lumbering boats with only two or four people aboard, the oil slicks along the shore and realizing the inability of these boats to get into the small intimate canals, the price was not worth it.
We looked for kayaks and were fortunate to find Keralkayaking, the only business renting kayaks in the area. It is a new business with at the time only two kayaks, both sit-on-tops. Initially I thought that would be a drawback but was pleasantly surprised at how nibble the tandem responded. Grant it, we were just poking around but I would recommend sit-on-tops in this situation. The owner, Binu Joseph informed me that he had twenty more on order from New Zealand.
I thought the price of 1000 rps for four hours a bit expensive but when I realized Binu required a motor boat and operator to take us to the starting point and keep an eye on us and that we were the only kayak, I had no issue with the cost.
For those who like to have a little adventure, some exercise and get a more intimate feel for the life in the backwaters, kayaking is the way to go.
In the future when Binu has more kayaks it may be worth inquiring if a kayak could be rented for a few days to be taken on board the houseboats for those that want both activities.

binu j, Owner at Kerala Kayaking, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
hi,

Thank you very much for your comments. We really happy to get you as our client. Because you have some much knowledge about kayaking. And also you share lots things about kayaking & kayak. we are really thankful you to inspect our kayak & give a best feedback. Convey my regards to your wife too..

Once again many thanks from all team

Kerala kayaking
State College, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Has potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I chose this activity because I did not want to sit on a fuel-guzzling houseboat, which seems to be an expensive tourist trap. Kayaking on the backwaters is a fabulous idea (and I think it will blossom as a tourist activity in the future), but both myself and the person I was kayaking with felt that KeralaKayaking has a long way to go. We did the 7 hour tour with Binu as our "guide".

First, the equipment is lacking. The tandem kayak was too small, so we were clashing paddles. One of the seats had a broken strap, making it quite stressful on the lower back. Binu said that they are ordering 7 new kayaks next season, so hopefully the equipment will improve. The poorest part of the experience was the service. Binu awkwardly shadowed us in a motorboat, giving no information to us about our natural surroundings. It was more of a rental than a tour. I would expect the leader of a kayaking tour to be sitting alongside in a kayak, giving information as we quietly paddle the backwaters. I'm not sure if Binu has ever been kayaking. How can you run a kayaking business with no experienced kayaking staff? Lastly, when we were at the end of our trip and eager to get back to our lodging and clean up, he left us waiting on the boat for 20 minutes while he took the kayak back to his hut, cleaned it at a leisurely pace, etc. This should be done after the customer is dropped off. Typical frustrating experience of waiting in India.

Some positives: Binu was very nice. He took pictures of us kayaking with his camera and emailed them to me. He took us to a backwater bar that served traditional fermented coconut water. Lunch and snacks were included on the 7 hour tour that cost 3700 for 2 people (too expensive for the quality of our experience, but worth it if the service and equipment improved).

Potentially a great experience, but at this stage (business only 3 months old) I do not recommend KeralaKayaking.

2 Thank Samuel S
binu j, Owner at Kerala Kayaking, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Hi,
We are really very sad to hear you that; you are rate our tour are average. We are really thankful to Trip Advisor given platform to respond your review. It is helpful to the future travelers can also decide themself’s whether the review relevant for them.

1) Equipment: - it is really hard to find kayak selling company in India. We take 1year to complete all the process & get the kayak to my home town alappuzha. We are offering Sit-on – Top Beginners advanced kayak. One of the seats in the kayak had only 1 strap. That is true. It is not broken, on shipment time also it is same. We have adjustable paddles get from the kayak. On the kayaking tour I meet some kayaking instructors from different country & they inspect the kayak & give me good comments. I have single seat kayak from “Feel Free” . We are ordered 7 more feel free kayak for next consignment.
2) Service: - we are shocked to know that; “you feel our service was poor”. I know, I shared some information about the, boat race, Nehru trophy venue, houseboats, school, toddy tapping, today shop, shell, etc… But I didn’t get much response from you & your friend then I stops to talking much more. Because some people they don’t like to speak much more.
3) About me: - I am born in the backwater village. I know kayaking. If a person have previous kayaking experience or familiar with kayak, no need for basic information. In our earlier review you can read a review of traveler; “Lots of Fun”. They are two ladies from Pune they are kayaked 1st time to the backwater. I given some basic training, 1st time the fall, second time they do fantastically well
4) Sightseeing: - . I didn’t kayak with travelers. In future we have more clients may be that time I do. I don’t think it is necessary. I get lots enquiry from the traveler give to kayak for rent. I didn’t do that. I know 99 % travelers like to kayak along. See, touch, and observe the things. That I why I bring you to small canal (named Society thode) given the time for 1 hour to see the very small canal. For keep the time given my watch. I am sitting in boat that’s why I can take your kayaking pictures.
5) Local information: - “a person gets more information about the place, culture, lifingstand, if he/she sits with local people or travel through country side. Then only we get more information about place “. That is the reason, we bring you a local village restaurant, toddy shop, & paddle through 5 very small canal especially Umpekaran thode very small canal in backwaters. Both side you seen home, schools, paddy, fisher man etc…. We made best kayaking itinerary & away from all tourist traffic. I done 100 % best itinerary I am sure. I think only 5 % travelers get this kind of itinerary.
6) Motor boat: - of course we need a motor boat on kayaking trip then only we can go through the inner backwater area. And also if person need rest or Emergency. We went through umpikarn thode (smallest canal in backwaters) some portion of canal is filled the waterleaf. We drive the boat through risk route & make the path clear and that help you to paddle through that area. Without any motorboat we can’t paddle that canal. On cruise time we face two small bridges, me & my driver sajeev worked hard to cross that bridge because yesterday raining so water level come up. Why I am writing this because readers of this review have to know that.
7) Cleaning Time: - after every trip we clean the kayaks then only it take in store room. Our store is backwater area. We can go that place only with help of ferry. Sometimes clients are also joined this kind of process.
The thing happen is; you are not made any payment; “you told me that you made the payment after that trip at your hotel. Because you not take bag, I agreed that. So I also want to come with you after trip to collect the payment. You don’t tell me that you are in hurry… So take 15 minetus to end up all process. So you called me I finished fast. Then boat drop of the point we take autorishaw to your home stay. That’s why paid your Autoriskshaw charge to drop your home stay. Transportation is not included .We are really sorry for that…
8) Cost: - I am surprised you tell; Rs 3700/- is costly than the quality of our tour than your expectation.
Let me explain: - if you take normal boat trip for 7 hours cost Rs 2100/- without any guide nothing, especially a different route. If you take lunch in this menu ( Rice, Sambar, Rasam, Curd, thoran, mezhukupuratty,pinapple curry,fish curry,fish fry ( pearls spot) chicken curry, pappad, pickles,banana) cost Rs 800/- and more for 2 person .
Mineral water, juice, snacks,Tender Coconut,Tea, Breakfast ( you don’t take, but I asked) cost Rs 400/- and more…
If you visit a toddy shop; todday, Shell fry, Tapiyoca or Uppumavu cost Rs 300/- and more. Transportation cost additional.
It is seems if a person go for motor boat/Shikkara cruise average he/she want spend Rs 3600/-
Once again, we are very sad to receive such feedback.
9) What we offer

We write for this for the future travelers who choose our trip

a) We are not offering a big kayaking expedition tour .we offer a different way to see the backwaters on kayak. Visit small canals, interact villages, taste local dishes, toddy shop visit, fishing, motor boat ride, village walk etc...
b) We are giving more importance to backwater beauty, Routes, Places , understand the local village life .
c) We have only Sit- On –Top Beginners advanced Kayak. We don’t have any most modern kayaks. Please don’t expect more
d) Me and my boat driver with clients to give 100 % support
e) Travelers can paddle ourselves, We are not offering any leader
f) We are taking the clients different routes & see the every eye of the backwaters. And also away from all tourist traffic
Le Havre, France
“Magnificent exêrience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Kayaking in the bacwaters was a really incredible trip. So quiet and peacefull you are alone in the smallest backwaters
We have travel in a boathouse the day before kayaking but it was a different experience because it is not the same landscape.
we take time
When you are tired a motor boat car bring you so it s really confortable

binu j, Owner at Kerala Kayaking, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
hi,

Thanks for you to share your experience. You are real a wonderful couple i meet during my carrier .

Many Thanks to choose us,

Once again Thank you ,
From All the Team Members

Kerala Kayaking
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best way to experience adventure and beautiful sight seeing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Kerala kayaking was the best place that i found on some advertisement in alleppy after a phone call we made an appointment for tour package tarriff is so fair and stuff are polte.
Hope you will enjoy too

binu j, Owner at Kerala Kayaking, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Hi,

Thanks to share you experience . We are really happy provide a great opportunity to prove our best service . I hope you enjoy the houseboat trip after your kayaking tour.

Thanks Once again,