Colonel's Beach Villa
Punnamada Resort(Alappuzha)
US$114
US$72
Agoda.com
Kondai Lip Backwater Heritage Resort(Alappuzha)(Great Value!)
US$63
  • Breakfast included
The World Backwaters(Alappuzha)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$46
  • Breakfast included
Lemon Tree Vembanad Lake Resort(Alappuzha)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$56
  • Breakfast included
Abad Turtle Beach(Alappuzha)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$150
US$48
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewssound of the wavesretired armyenjoyed every momenta nice place to staymain buildingexcellent hostslocal cuisinehis wifeanthonybalconyrickshawcomfortkeralabangbamboorelaxationcook
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 March 2018

My wife and I spent two weeks there, in the biggest of the bungalows, all named after the colonel's children (Stella & Joel). It is a big house, all made of palm leaves and bamboo, although the main room (bedroom) is "heatproof" since it can be air-conditionned in the hot season - but in February the ceiling fan was quite sufficient. The house is located quite near the seaside, from which it is separated by an (anti-tsunami ?) rock wall and a small footpath. The interesting thing about our stay (as far as I know nobody has commented upon that) is that we had a two-week ayurveda session going on during that time, mornings and afternoons. The 2 treatment rooms are located in the main building that also houses the reception, the kitchen and a few guestrooms upstairs with a nice terrace (you can be accommodated there even if you don't undergo any treatment). Every day the two professional masseurs came especially for us from the Shreekrishna Institute in town (Allepey, 6 kms away) . We also had a special veg diet that consisted in 3 meals prepared by the cook (except the wonderful breakfast that was made by the lovely colonel's wife). Of course the place is secluded, but in our case it was perfect since such a treatment can be a bit tiring at times and you may need some rest. And from our terrace overlooking the footpath we had a great (and daily) view of all sorts of people passing by (who always said hello cheerfully) and on either side of the compound are two fishermen's harbours where we could admire the skill of the fishermen returning early morning when they had to pass the dangerous rip current near the beach. Other fishermen walked along the beach surveying the sea, ready to throw their net, while others were paddling furiously sitting on their tiny rubber boat not bigger than a rubber mattress which they used to lower and recover their fishing net. In the village of Thumpoli nearby a huge christian church dating back to the first Portuguese is really worth a visit. Lastly a local fisherman used to swim every morning tugging a metal basin whence he took his fishing net that he lowered into the sea, gratefully helped by the stream. The hot season being in May June, the temperature was perfect during our stay. We enjoyed every moment of it, except that swimming in the sea was not recommended (for us) because of our treatment ! What a shame - the water was soooo warm ! And, to finish, a little suggestion: the sofa in the dining-room really needs refurbishing (or refreshing) - I personally would suggest replacement !

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jeanmariepetit17
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

When I booked this online I hadn't realised I booked the tent. When we arrived the staff asked if we wanted to move to a room rather than tent but we asked to see it anyway! It was more like a marquee than a tent, a nice front portch, a large double bedroom and a private bathroom!
The tent walls did have some damp growing on them and the bathroom water did run out at one point but other than that we had a pleasant nights sleep here (and those 2 things didn't really bother us!) The second night we moved to a room as they had double booked - it was more expensive but they honored the tent rate - we actually preferred the tent to the room! The room felt less private as there were multiple holes in the walls which looked like they led into the adjoining rooms. The bed was still comfy though.
The staff were nice although we didn't see them much. The wifi isn't great and it seemed when we needed it we would have to ask and they would bring the dongle out to the table.
The hotel is right on the beach front, after you climb over a rocky wall your on the sand, we were the only ones on it when we were there so I think it's quite secluded!
In terms of location, we had a motorbike so getting around was easy. If you don't have transport it is quite a walk down a dark road before you hit the main road, it's then a good 5 minutes or so by bike to the main town with bars and restaurants. We did see a taxi pull up so I'm sure there must be a taxi service available if you ask the staff.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2018

The colonel's beach villa is an absolute gem. We spent some time travelling in India through November and December and spent a few days here, the colonel and Simon the cook are absolutely lovely people and we can't wait to go back and visit them again. The fun and quirky design (by the colonel) all help to make this a great place to stay. Had I known what it would be like I would definitely planned my trip to spend more time here.If you just want to put your feet up and enjoy a lovely location or get a rickshaw into town for a little more liveliness you won't regret staying here

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
ColAnto, Owner at Colonel's Beach Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

This is an middle class small hotell located directly on beach. Location is just a couple kilometers from the village Alappuzha, and thanks to that it is very calm and peaceful here. The standard is good and the owner is trying to take the place to an higher level. The hotel has an chef and he make you both breakfast, lunch and dinner - if you want.
The balcony on the main building facing the sea is just wonderful. The sunsets from the balcony was magic :)
I did some work of my own there, on computer, and it was really the perfect surrounding for that. Calm, quiet and beautiful and someone there to service you. I really enjoyed my days here, and if I return I will stay there again.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
ColAnto, Owner at Colonel's Beach Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

Dear Mikael,
You were a wonderful guest. We enjoyed looking after you.
Do come back
Col Antony

Reviewed 6 January 2018

There's rustic, and there's just plain dirty. Don't be fooled by the romantic portrayal of this isolated beach accommodation. The bedding was woeful - a ghastly grubby blanket of a heavy synthetic plush pile that I would not use in a dog kennel, and no top sheet. We were given a single small towel between the two of us and the mats on the floor around the bed were filthy. The tiled bathroom floor became treacherously slippery with the smallest amount of water, let alone after the cold shower as there was no hot to be had. I'd question the structural safety of the balcony and stairs as the corner of the veranda is propped up with a slender stick that is attached to the overhanging eaves with twine. The only dinner option we were offered was a small sloppy dish of prawns with rice and charged for separately. We gave breakfast a miss. All I all, an awful experience, despite its setting I'm sorry to say.

Room Tip: Ask if there are proper sheets and hot water in the room
Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank denmother62

Thank you very much for the oblique suggestions.... the points are being looked into.... and regarding the structural safety, the contraptions have been weight tested and have been there for two years now... To pass on a remark on the same after a one night stay....i must say.... i should take with a bag full of salt....
Anyway thanks for the suggestions...
it keeps me on my toes...
Regards