All reviews workout room stayed here game amenities lobby property
Reviewed October 4, 2018

Tried to find the perfect place and may have found it for right around $100. Independence has a bit of a bad reputation but the around surrounding this property is perfectly fine. Few places to eat, everything looked new and nice.

Wish I'd gotten the name of the gal who checked us in as she was very polite. The lobby was very clean and quiet and I learned it was this way even though there was a bunch of dance kids (and moms) and a bachelorette party in the works.

Our room was great...comfy bed in which I slept above average. A toilet that will suck you in if you're not ready. Plenty of hot water in a clean, well-lit bathroom. Lots of space in the sleeping area with a big tv, big counter, and many kitchen amenities.

There was good coffee available 24/7. Lots of add-on items in a pantry. Lots of free items like games and cookware. An above-average workout room. Didn't get to use the pool and hot tub but it seemed nice. It's right next to a game room with free pool and a foos ball table. We played unbothered for about an hour before it closed and watched TV while doing so.

Finally, everything was very quiet at night. I thought I'd say it was the quietest hotel in which I've ever stayed but turns out we did hear voices outside in the hall in the morning, and we could hear staff vacuuming. Not a complaint, just an observation. I've always stayed closer to Kansas City when in the area. This may well be our new stay each time we're in town.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
JAIMEJ570, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kansas City - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for the kind words and in words showing how truly impressed you where. It is always exciting to know that our guest enjoy their stay and what the property has to offer. Please make sure to stop by my office and introduce yourself they next time you are at the hotel, I would really enjoy meeting you.

Kind Regards,
Dawn, GM

Reviewed September 25, 2018 via mobile

After much research we choose this hotel on our way home from RMNP to St. Louis & so glad we did! Beautiful, new hotel in a great safe area with lots of very nice newer restaurants close! Friendly staff! Great price! Beautiful big room with everything you would need for long term stay! Nice shower with lots of storage space! Great work station with lots of outlets. Beautiful kitchen area with counter & chairs , full size refrigerator, stove & microwave. Free popcorn. Coffee maker. Very comfortable king bed! Quiet rooms!
Would definitely stay here again!
The only negative was I was under the impression breakfast was included but it was not & not a deal breaker!
Maybe 10 minute drive to Harry S Truman Library & Museum.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be safe and accommodating for your stay. The next time you come to town or are passing through we would enjoy having you stay again.

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

The hotel is new, was very clean, and had a very friendly staff. Nice large rooms with the usual full refrigerator, cooktop, large area to work, comfortable bed and pillows. Laundry facilities available as well as a workout room, a game room, a cupboard and area (in case your hungry and you don’t want to get out).

I choose Candlewood for all of the above listed amenities. It’s nice to pay the same price as all the hotels and have a place that feels more like home.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
JAIME J, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kansas City - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We love hearing that our property and staff have exceeded your expectations. The fact you feel at home is the best compliment you can give. The next time you are in town we hope you choose to stay with us again.

Have a great day!

Reviewed August 19, 2018

Booked a one-bedroom suite at this property using Cash + Points. Traveling with dogs, we search specifically for pet-friendly hotels with one-bedroom suites. This bedroom provides an area where the dogs can stay when we people are away, to minimize chances of them hearing guests in the hallway, prompting barking and disturbance of other guests. Found and booked such a one-room (rather than studio) suite at this Candlewood location. Upon check-in, the desk agent informed us we were booked in a studio - not the one-bedroom suite we'd booked online. Unlike at some other hotels, only a select block of rooms at this Candlewood are designated pet friendly (this is owner discretion, and I suppose fairly sensible given guest allergies) , and all one-room pet-friendly suites were occupied. It sounds like by virtue of burning points for this stay, that a "flow-through" rate code was used, reserving us a studio suite room type. The agent was apologetic, and explained what he thought happened. When we (thankfully) found another pet-friendly hotel with a one-bedroom suite available near the KCI airport, the desk agent there said other guests with pets who'd checked in to their property that night likewise complained of issues at both this AND another Candlewood property. Complaints to IHG took several attempts (callbacks), with transfer to the UK customer service center voicemail (we were clearly calling from the US, given the inbound phone number that should have shown on their caller ID), and unacceptably long waits to speak with a customer agent. Points were redeposited back in to IHG account. Very disappointing, given Gold Elite status with IHG and regular guest at Candlewood and Holiday Inn Express properties over the years. Also, the cash portion of the stay booked went to a credit card, but it was NOT refunded, as they claimed this is IHG policy. This policy, too, is unacceptable. We did not get value as we did not stay at this hotel.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Kevin,

As the General Manager of the hotel I greatly apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered when trying to stay at our hotel. I can only imagine how frustrating this hole ordeal was for you and your family. Not being aware of this issue I was unable to look into it. If you could contact me at the hotel I would more then happy to see if we could give you the refund for the money that you are out.

816-381-7300 ext. 4905

Reviewed July 6, 2018

Stayed here with my family on our vacation and the staff was incredibly friendly, the facilities spotless, and the rooms were the best of any Candlewood I've stayed at. If this is what all new Candlewoods are going to look like, it's a high bar to meet. Fantastic hotel.

Room tip: There's a really lovely area out by the pool, with a grill and some chairs and a view of a small wooded area. Favorite part of the place
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
JAIME J, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kansas City - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

Thank you for choosing our Candlewood Suites location. We value our guest feedback to ensure we meeting our guest needs. Our staff is delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay. We hope to see you in the near future.