“Alila Villa Soori Beautiful ocean view”
Review of Soori Bali

Soori Bali
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Tabanan
Singapore, Singapore
“Alila Villa Soori Beautiful ocean view”
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Ocean suit Villa facing Indian Ocean with private pool offer an oasis of Blissful feeling.
Point to note: Room rate may not include breakfast...........

Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
, Manager at Soori Bali, responded to this review, 7 December 2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 4 June 2010

The villa is nicely designed, however I think it's a bit too dark inside, I don't think it is good to read during the evening. It's equipped with an Apple TV, and an nespresso machine. The bed and the couch is so comfy that you wouldn't wanna leave. There is a black sand beach right in front of the villa, which you can hear the waves pounding the sand.
The resort itself is relatively small, there are only a few F&B outlets. There is quite a lot to choose from the menu during breakfast, and you can have your own in villa breakfast as well.
The only minus is the loaction, it's like in the middle of nowhere, it takes at least an hr and half to get to seminyak, where all the actions are. But it's perfect for couples to have a tranquil get away.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank NiCpapa
Miranda, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Architecture and design have combined with the sparkling black sand beach to create the WOW factor everywhere you look.
I was welcomed and escorted to my villa. Check in and reception is done behind the scenes and baggage transferred discreetly,VIP treatment .
My villa was ocean view; private, spotless elegant with high end inclusions. A friendly user coffee machine, milk in the fridge, plenty of bottled water.
The bathroom is a work of art cleverly divided into His and Hers with exclusive premium bath products. Bath pillows and bubble bath to entice.Plush towels are plentiful.
The bed is extremely comfortable.Crisp white high thread- count sheets. There are various pillows available. Once my head hit the contoured pillow I slept peacefully.
Staff arent always seen, but are never too far away. My only criticism would be that some requests need to be reinforced and phone requests can cause confusion.
Breakfast has a small buffet for those unfamiliar with english and an extensive menu that caters for all tastes. The freshest orange juice. The perfect poached egg resting proudly on toast in a holandaise sauce that was delightful. A crisp shell that breaks into a soft heart of a delicious croissant is repeated day after day.The menu has a 5 day turnaround but you can order what you like.
The restaurants serve creative modern cuisine. There is the choice of A/C room if the tropical ocean breeze isnt to your liking.
I found the dark secretive relaxing ambiance of the spa an ideal way to calm the senses before your treatment. Almost an homage to an Oriental opium den, where your senses will be heightened and restored.I had a massage which was thorough. The foot bath to begin was excellent. I had a pedicure. Fantastic. Of course its going to be more expensive than the place in Legian but the products are high end, the surroundings are dark and delicious, and the whole experience is exquisitely performed. I floated from the spa to my villa.
I took advantage of the room sale on the net. I went to afternoon tea. I also stayed at Alila Ubud and Uluwatu.
This is the confident supermodel sister to Ulu.The best of everything. She is breezy and different to her slick brother.You can marvel at her architecture.Its grand and captures the peace of the surrounds.It will capture you and if you let it, it will give you a magical holiday.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 14 May 2010

My wife and I stayed at Soori for 2 nights at the end of our 5 day honeymoon in April. We first stayed at St. Regis then Soori. I'll say it right out that Soori--brand new opened--is barely worth its promotional price and not more.

The main disappointment was the room. We stayed at villa 108. There were multiple signs of water leakage on the floor, lousy paint jobs on the wall, and even dark spots on the mirror. I'll try to upload photos to show these problems.

Further, the television was broken since we checked in. The second day the shower ran out of water, leaving us unable to shower after we return from the beach. Both problems were not fixed until the second day afternoon.

The location and its beach were not great either. But those are more about its fundamentals and not its service. There are also good things about Soori. The swimming pool was nice, the greeting honeymoon cake was nice, the staff was pleasant and really working hard; the spa was top notch; and the view of fishing boats at night was magnificent.

But the poor decorations and broken facilities were inexcusable. Overall I wouldn't recommend Soori unless these problems are proven fixed.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chin-Hua
AlilaHotels, General Manager at Soori Bali, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
Dear Chin-Hua,

Thank you for staying with us at Alila Villas Soori.

We appreciate you took the time to write the review about your recent experience with us. We apologize for the fact that your stay was less than perfect and that you experienced facilities that were not reflecting our standard.

We are in full swing working on solving the construction defects throughout the entire resort and in most of the villas leakage, paint and shower issues have been addressed. We are planning to complete these works within the next month

Fortunately you enjoyed our facilities, the spa, the friendliness and the service of our team. We hope that we will have an opportunity to show you the hardware changes during a future stay.

Best regards from West Bali,

Marco Groten
Taipei
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Overall, I had a nice experience during my stay in Alila Soori. The rooms are impeccable, staff is friendly and very helpful. The Spa was top notch and we fully enjoyed our massages. Me and my wife toured the market and took cooking lessons with Made and it was quite an experience. The food was good but inconsistent. I personally found the room service food to be better than the one served in Cotta, their main restaurant. The only problem with the hotel is lack of organization which I attribute to the fact that it just opened recently. For example, I booked a spa treatment 3 weeks in advance, only to be told that same day that my session had to be rescheduled. The hotel has a lot of potential but it has to overcome the fact that it is quite secluded, with nothing within a 45-minute ride, and strong waves that makes it virtually impossible to do anything in the beach.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2010

We stayed here in early March. The hotel had only opened for a few months and there were still some work being done. They were building a 10-bedroom villas, we were told. But the construction or noise was minimal and didn't bother us at all. After you checked in to the resort, you pretty much wouldn't leave as there isn't much around the hotel. Although, we were able to walk just out the front door of the hotel and took some pictures of the beautiful rice patty fields.
We had all our meals at the hotel and it was really good. I didn't really expect great food so I was surprised. I also liked the fact that breakfast is served until 11:30am!! Breakfast is also when we saw the most guests of the hotel. At other times, we hardly saw anyone.
The staffs are really friendly and helpful. We were greeted by the manager with a brief introduction to the hotel. They made us felt like we were VIPs.
Needless to say, the design of the hotel is great. We love the modern chic decor and the coziness. It is not a very big resort, but yet, you are opened to a big, wide, black sand beach. If weather permits, you'll get great sunset pictures from the beach.
But I have to agree on the steep price (as mentioned in another review) they charge for the transfer. I am almost willing to pay that USD60 ($50++) from the airport because you don't have to worry about getting a taxi and they do have nice touches in the car such as cold water and towels, snacks, sunscreen, cooling mist, etc. The driver was also really nice. But, since we were going to another Alila resort for the second half of the trip, we also ordered transfer from the hotel and they charged us the same price! The biggest turned off was that it wasn't even a hotel vehicle. They had outsource it to some company. That means I could've ordered a taxi and paid much less. O well.
By the way, the spa was great! The treatment was great!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Ok, first and foremost, my husband & I would go back(if the regular prices are adjusted accordingly) but like most of the reviewers who had frequented similiarly-priced/ranked/reputed hotels like Banyan Tree, currently, the stay was worthy of the promotion rate that is availiable until end of May. However, the hotel still has some "polishing" or roughing out the edges to be done..

Butler service is non-existent. Considering we checked in after 8pm and yet the room service menu was missing and still took them 30 mins to bring to our room after brought to their attention was not ideal.

Lots of ants in cupboards & shelves(Kind of grossed out when ants were crawling all over your vitamins in the weeklong dispenser) . Though I was happy to not have gotten any mosquito bites. However, we've stayed at Kayumanis Nusa Dua years ago when the entire villa smelled like the harmful insect repellant and almost suffocated us too..Having said that, I rather have some ants. Security seems sufficient . But if you're looking for a romantic getaway, this might not be a good option because this is a very family friendly villa resort which is fine but not ideal for couples if u're yearning for an opportunity to enjoy the idyllic setting with your spouse/partner while having breakfast.

Food is very good in the hotel which I'm very pleased with, fantastic breakfast menu, beats Banyan Tree anytime. I do wish there are some blinds in the washroom area as there are tall coconut trees within sight in the bathroom(which the locals actually climb to get the coconuts). Yoga classes provided is of high quality , the GM, Marco is very polite , personable & nice . The spa is a tad too dark, almost basement feel. My husband enjoyed his treatment but mine was only so-so.

The hotel hires a few locals to clean up the unavoidable swept up garbage .The horses that were ridden up & down the beach also left piles of "souveniors". But the blacksand beach is beautifully powdery with ideal water temperature .

Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
, Manager at Soori Bali, responded to this review, 7 December 2016
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
16.0 km away
26.3 km away
Viceroy Bali
Viceroy Bali
#8 of 198 in Ubud

Been to Soori Bali? Share your experiences!