“The Folly's fully experience”
Review of The Folly

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pottuvil
The Folly
Ranked #1 of 29 Pottuvil B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2016

The first person i talked to when i got to Sri Lanka was this french guy and he told me about the place. He was so enthousiastic about it that i couldn't wait to get here. And it didn't dissapoint me one bit.

I got a beachhut with an overview on the sea. It is actually one real big matrass with a lot a lot of pillows and a colourfull musquitonet in it. You can also close it, if it would rain, which it didn't for me. It even has light, a fan and powerpoints. It is just amazing to wake up to the sound of the ocean with a small breeze. They really captured a small piece of paradise.

The first night i arrived here we had a barbeque with everybody. We would be eating the catch of the day, which was this huge tuna. We got a fresh grilled tuna and it was totally amazing. The food here will not dissapoint you at all. For me the must-tries on the menu are definitely: Floating boat and Shakshuka, delicious.

Then i haven't even talked about the hospitality. The owner, Muba, is literally one of the sweetest people i ever met. He truthfully will want to arrange anything for you. And i am not lying if i say ANYTHING. So you can imagine that the atmosphere in this place is close to perfect.

If you are planning to go to go Arugam Bay, which I strongly suggest you do, don't miss Folly's. 'Cause i think Folly's completes the beauty of the place where it is. And if you do, don't forget to give the owner a big hug from me.

Room Tip: Take a folly at the beach, you won't regret it
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Adriane T

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

The Folly is a can't miss stop on your Arugam Bay itinerary.

Where to begin?

We stayed in a cabana with a private bathroom for three nights. The room was quaint and the bed was perfect after a long day of enjoying the friendly seas not more than 20 yards away from the property.

The staff is excellent and will accommodate your desires be they food, surfboard rental, drink or just pleasant conversation.

Muba, the owner of the establishment, is one of the most gracious and hospitable people my girlfriend and I have ever come across in our travels. It is worth staying at The Folly if only to meet a genuinely kind soul like him.

When we return to Sri Lanka we will certainly stay at The Folly.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank woolpeacoat
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

A very nice place right on the beach of arugam bay.
Very good prices for accomadation (folly and cabbanas).
The staff is super nice and helpful.
Basicly will help you anytime with any problem or issue.
The vibe in the hotel is just amazing.
I highly recomand staying at The Folly!
It is good for friends couples and families.
Thank you for a wonderful vacation :)

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ben T
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

Love the Folly ! The food is amazing, the bed (I stayed in a 'folly') is great and authentic, the staff is so nice and helpful. This on-the-beach stay is the place you have to stay at for your next visit at Arugam. The atmosphere is amazing and you will probably meet other backpackers/travellers.
Thanks boys & see you soon

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Hyoogs
Reviewed 27 June 2016 via mobile

Stayed at the Follys due to good reviews on Trip Advisor and wasn't disappointed. The accommodation was clean and comfortable and Mabu and his staff were friendly and very helpful. The staff are constantly around so felt very safe with my belongings. Set in a lovely location on the beach. I would recommend a stay here.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Annief5
Reviewed 26 June 2016

Staff very friendly and helpufull... That creates a good armosphear, guests are cool :)
Here you live barefoot, you sleep with the sound of the ocean, you wake up and just walk few meters and then just run few seconds to the ocean.
Sam very good tuk tuk driver, siraj very good surf instructor , and the food is good :)))

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Pierre-jean P
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

My stay at The Folly was perfect and this place really stole my heart! I have to say we arrived there by coincidence, we were welcomed by Mubaris in the beach and we decided to stay in the Folly. Really nice cabanas. I didn't think to stay more than 2 nights, but when you are there for just one day you feel like at home and you don't want to leave this place, never. At the end, we were there for 11 or 12 days!!!! So all our time in Sri Lanka. I felt very comfortable. It's the first time travelling that I feel like at home, in family.

Good service (thanks Mubaris, Munas, Sam, Siraj...), good surf lessons with Siraj (I could stand up in my first lesson, I felt very safe with him, he is friendly, funny and good people,100% recommended!!!!), good food (you have to eat every morning shakshuka (one of the best breakfast I've ever tried, super tasty), bbq nights with very tasty fish!, funny and good music....

We always received very good service and attention. We did a safari to the National Park with Sam (100% recommend). The best is to be next to the beach and wake up, walk a few metres and watch the sunrise, very nice surrounding, garden with flowers, nice bar in the beach, sleep with the sound of the waves (or the music, because the party lasts until late!), take a shower in the outside bathroom while seeing the fullmoon (unique!).

In recap, could not be a better stay! And as a plus we received a cup as a present with a picture of us! :) Very nice detail! Very kind staff and good persons! (It was the most important) Also good prices!

They also have tuk tuk service, and the surf lesson includes tuktuk, if not they can always call the friendly and niceTuk tuk driver called Ammar!
Also taxi service directly to the airport.
The ubication is also good because of the beach and next to the main road with a lot of restaurants and shops.

Thanks The Folly! We love you! If I go to Sri Lanka again, I definetely will come back to your cabanas! :) Best place to stay in Arugam Bay for sure! Very friendly! I felt like a real queen!

The Little queen
Irene, Daniel & Hannes
Spain & Germany

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Irene M
Riyas155, Owner at The Folly, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2016

Thanks for your valuable review, we are continuously working to deliver the excellent customer service.your always welcome to our paradise.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pottuvil
1 km away
Stay Golden
#3 of 105 in Arugam Bay
4.3 km away
Kottukal Beach House by Jetwing

Been to The Folly? Share your experiences!