“Great little spot for lunch and wave watching”

Upali Beach Surf Cafe
Ranked #5 of 25 Restaurants in Pottuvil
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: European, Cafe
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Our cuisine is a blend of european and asian food, using as much as possible of locally sourced ingredients. Our cafe is open all year but relies on products seasonal availability. Some dishes may not be available everyday or for some part of the year. We try our best to get more and more eco-friendly and for example don't sell any longer plastic bottles, including water (starting from April 2017). We serve water by the glass or pitcher. We are not open for diner unless special occasions or on reservation. During the season, we are open from : 6am to 12pm for breakfast 12am to 6pm for lunch or snacks During the low season, we are open from : 7am to 10am for breakfast 12pm to 2.30pm for lunch 7pm to 9pm for diner
Reviewed June 1, 2018 via mobile

Had a really tasty and healthy lunch here - a Vietnamese salad bowl with chicken. It was sooo good, I only wish there had been more chicken :) The staff are really friendly and you can sit on a shaded sun bed right next to the ocean and watch the surfers as you eat. Really chilled lovely place.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank h0llyelaine
Asanka W, Owner at Upali Beach Surf Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2018

Thank you for your review and sharing the love!

Reviewed May 24, 2018 via mobile

Legit beachfront view, toes in the sand and the ocean just footsteps away. Relaxing atmosphere to work on your laptop, read a book, or lay on the daybeds. Sit back and watch the surfers whilst sipping on real coffee, fresh juices or trying some delicious food. Would highly recommend for families, friends, or the solo traveller.
Pictured here is the ‘Shashuka’ dish, but because I’m vegan, I substituted the egg for pasta, and it was incredible! Chef’s get a 10/10 as always.

Date of visit: May 2018

Thank you for your review and sharing the love!

Reviewed April 22, 2018

I only had one meal here and I really enjoyed it. I had the fish of the day which was perfectly cooked and served with rice and a delicious cucumber and carrot salad. We had lunch at 4 p.m. so the opening times of the restaurant were a real advantage for us! Their drinks are really good too, I recommend the rose lassi.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed November 1, 2017 via mobile

Very unfriendly Stuff People. Price what is written on card is not what you have to pay. You pay the double! Not good!! Never cone back to Arugam Bay...

Date of visit: November 2017
Asanka W, Owner at Upali Beach Surf Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2017

Dear Soldano

The prices listed on the menu are inclusive of everything but the service charge, so a 10% tax is added to any bill, which is a very common practice in Sri Lanka and all around the world.
Furthermore this shouldn't have been a surprise as it is written on top of all our menus in big letters "All prices are subjects to a 10% service charge" and also on the blackboard on top of our bar/counter.
Hence you have paid only a 10% extra and not double price like you've been reporting here.
Kind regards,

Asanka

Reviewed October 25, 2017 via mobile

We went there to chill before surfing. The drinks and self made fries were very good and the waiter served us well. Also the sunbeds were very comfy.
The only bad thing about our stay was the reaction of the owner after I lost the fins of his surfing board. The material is not in good shape anyway. I would highly recommend not to rent a board at this place.

Date of visit: October 2017
Asanka W, Owner at Upali Beach Surf Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2017

Dear Anna,

I'm glad you really enjoyed the place, food and drinks and really sorry about your bad experience when renting surf gears. But I'm afraid and happy as it sounds like there was a confusion, my name is Asanka and I'm the only owner at Upali Beach and if I do give surf lesson at Upali Surf School, I do not rent any boards. I guess you have rented the board from Richard or VJ who offer some at Main Point, but I must underline that as it is disclaimed on our Website, the surf rental, repairs and lessons given by Richard and VJ are completely independent from us as we don't even take any commission.Nevertheless I'm really sorry if one has been unpleasant and I hope you'll accept my most sincere apologies on their behalf.

Kind regards,