“Excellent huge Lunch”

Ranked #70 of 1,083 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Always striving to bring the best Indian food to Madison, Wi.
Reviewed January 2, 2018

My wife & I had Swagat's well known lunch buffet. It's huge. One station has a sign labeling it for appetizers & soups. There is a long hot table with various offerings. I was befuddled with all the unfamiliar Indian names of dishes, & it was helpful to have little signs explaining the contents.

Usually, when I was about half way through the goodies on my plate, I could no longer remember what I was eating. I just knew it was delicious. Seasoning ranged from mild to spicy. It was good to have an occasional bite of salad greens or other raw vegetables between bites of cooked items.

I wanted to try everything, but it was not possible, particularly because I decided that I would sample their desserts. Desserts included an egg custard similar to Mexican flan, mango sherbet & bread pudding. Their were a couple other treats, but I was out of room.

Service was prompt & courteous. A couple notes of caution: 1) This is not a cheap fast food lunch. Unless you're rich, you're not going to eat here every other day. 2) This spread presents a very serious invitation to overeat. (I accepted the invitation.)

Beyond the great food, the setting guarantees that I give Swagat the full 5 stars. I hate eating where it's noisy. This restaurant has a lot of seating, & they had lots of customers that day, but it was not noisy. There was Indian music playing quietly in the background, & we were very comfortable.

Reviewed December 31, 2017 via mobile

So many choices, and each better than the last. Everyone was happy, even the vegetarian in our group found more than enough to eat.

Reviewed December 21, 2017

went to lunch (opens at 11:30) buffet. so many things to try if you've never been to an indian restaurant before. choices were perfect. the waiters were very attentive.
can't wait to go again. food was hot and delicious, and not too spicy.

Reviewed November 15, 2017

Had a terrific dinner in a comfortable setting with excellent service! Expansive menu with good descriptions of dishes most of us are not familiar with. Ask your server for guidance. All dishes are served with basmati rice which is nothing like the bland, sticky starch you're used to.Light, fluffy...delicious! We had two chicken and one shrimp dish. The server will ask if you want it mild, medium, or spicy hot. We ordered one of each and everyone was happy. Be sure and start with one of the fresh baked Indian breads.

Reviewed October 29, 2017

Everything tastes the same. Not for the connoisseur, but definitely for the "in-a-rush" patron who just wants to fill his stomach and get back to his smart-phone. Never again...

Been to Swagat? Share your experiences!