“Anniversary Dinner”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 1,052 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$60 - US$80
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: University Avenue
Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

Ruth's Chris is really my go to place for a fine dining experience. Do they give you more than you need? Absolutely. Did I eat it all? You bet. Is it pricey? Yes, it is. But in this case, I think you get what you pay for. They have a currently active Seasonal Menu which gets you a starter, entrée, side, and dessert. Now understand, the choices are not unlimited, but what is available meet me desires beautifully. Caesar salad to start, their standard large filet, crab fried rice side dish, and apple galette with ice cream for dessert. I also need to mention that their drinks are quite large. They knew it was our anniversary, so there were mock rose petals in the table, our server, Mary, acknowledged the event, as did other on staff. The manager, Lee, also stopped a couple of times to make sure that everything was okay. Now my one negative. There are add-ons in several corners. When we were first seated, we were asked if we wanted still or sparkling water. One of us asked for each. When the server left two bottles, I figured that we had a problem. We would have been charged, but Lee agreed to drop the charge. The offer for tap water should have been made up front. When ordering the Caesar salad, I was asked if I wanted anchovies. On further questioning, I learned there would have been an additional charge to add them. So just be aware. The food and service are top notch. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Reviewed August 2, 2017

Great service and excellent steak. The almond coated walleye was ok but not excellent. We ate there during restaurant week so this may be part of the reason.

Reviewed May 28, 2017

First off, we have been to RC many times in the past and always had a terrific experience, last night was the exception though. In the initial reservation, we requested a quiet location because of a hearing impaired member of our party- tried to seat us next to the door to the kitchen- rerequested something quieter and moved to a great small alcove near the rear of the restaurant. Not sure why we weren't given that location immediately. Dinner was rushed, something that shouldn't happen at RC. Husband was still eating his salad when plates were being cleared and next course was arriving (he is NOT a slow eater.) Ordered my steak medium-well and it arrived rare. Wait staff acknowledged this and said I received the wrong order, she would take it back and recook. Came back well done. I did not eat the steak. Staff did ask if it was okay, but everyone else had already finished eating so, what was I supposed to do at that point. Water was not refilled, and I was drinking my husband's water at the end of the meal. With so many great choices in the Madison area like Tornado, Eno Vino, and Rare; we will not be returning to RC.

Reviewed May 16, 2017

This restaurant in Middleton, just outside of Madison, provided 14 of us a pleasurable if not outstanding dining experience. Terrific appetizers, desserts and of without question, the main courses were wonderful and quite filling. I would recommend the 11 ounce Filet which was made to perfection. The wait staff was marvelous, especially our server Gee. Certainly not cheap but not incredibly overpriced either. It was a special treat for the graduates and their families and if you like steak, a place you should go.

Reviewed May 5, 2017

Everything was fabulous. Steaks were tender, sides were great, particularly the hash browns. Server - Debbie - was attentive without intruding. It is pricey, but great for a special occasion .

Been to Ruth's Chris Steak House? Share your experiences!