“Interesting, friendly restaurant that is now closed, darn it all!”
Review of The Bayou - CLOSED

The Bayou
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2016

I stopped in early July and had a beer, then returned later for dinner. I had a marvelous piece of red snapper served over a mild but delicious jambalaya, along with two oysters broiled with jalepeno bacon. It was a lovely meal, and a large portion which made two meals and a snack for me.

I found myself in Madison again on 7/23/16, and found out that this restaurant is permanently closed. I was SO disappointed!

Reviewed 12 May 2016

My son and I in town looking for something unique.. This place had what we were looking for. Great live music, great food (oysters on the half shell were wonderful! as was the jambalaya).... Highly recommend. Very friendly too.

Reviewed 10 April 2016

I dined at the Bayou for lunch on a recent weekday afternoon and really enjoyed it. I followed it up with a visit during Happy Hour a couple of days later. The atmosphere is French Quarter New Orleans. There's a giant statue of a Mardi Gras dancer. There's balconies around the inside reminiscent of the French Quarter. The staff were all friendly and fun and seemed to be enjoying themselves. It feels festive.

They serve a wide variety of beverages from the Abita brewery. I tried a couple of them and thoroughly enjoyed both. I'm not usually much of an IPA drinker, but the Abita IPA was very good. I also enjoyed a raspberry iced-tea. Great raspberry flavor. If you like sweet tea, you'll love this.

The food is creole inspired. We started with a dozen raw oysters. They have an oyster bar behind the regular bar where you can see them at work. The oysters were briny and delicious. Bits of shell did come off while slurping up a couple of them, but I enjoyed it all the same. The battered cheese curds were fine. I can't say I noticed much Cajun flavor, but they are cheese curds so you can't go wrong. Both the cheese curds and the oysters were served with a smattering of fresh mixed greens. For entrees we had the crawfish etouffee and jambalaya. The etouffee was just a little spicy. The roux was great. I really enjoyed this dish. I had ordered the lunch portion but I wish I had gotten the full-size. It was really good. My companion ordered the jambalaya and thought it was a little too spicy, but I thought it was delicious and would order it.

If you are looking for a taste of New Orleans, this is a great place to go.

Reviewed 17 March 2016 via mobile

I went to the Bayou at night after it became Club Voodoo. My friend was DJing there this past weekend and it was an absolute blast! So much to look at, an interesting place. The ceiling looks like a starry night sky and the lasers are awesome.
The bartender was unforgettable with superb customer service. At the end of the night he wasn't rude like most other places, and he stood by the door and said goodbye to all the guests as they left. He also came out and asked if there were any last minute bathroom breaks before he locked up. My boyfriend and I couldn't believe how great he was! You can really tell when a person loves their job.

Reviewed 26 February 2016

I've been here several times and have never had a bad meal. Our favorites are the Red Beans and Rice, Chicken an Sausage Jambalaya and OMG! the fish fry is awesome! Service is fantastic.