“What an experience”

Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
London, Ontario, Canada
“What an experience”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I am from Ontario, Canada and was recently in Madison for training at the Sub Zero and Wolf factory. We stayed at the Hilton there and I had to write how great my experience was. The rooms were fantastic!! Clean, spacious with all the amedities. The staff was always smiling and always ready to help. One inparticular helped make the experience even better. His name is Ethan and was working at the bar durring the trip. His service was fantastic, and took great pride in his work. I rarely write reviews, as I have a high expectation when I am paying for any service, but Ethan gave me a reason to do so. When I go back to Madison, there is no doubt that it's where I will stay. And lastly.....what a beautiful city.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
I am very glad to hear you had such a great experience. We always enjoy having guests from Sub Zero and Wolf! I have already passed on your wonderful comments to Ethan. Thank you very much for your review, and we hope you will be able to join us again sometime. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Greek first
Lincolnshire, Illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We were visiting Madison for a wedding and were very happy with the hotel and it's location. The beds and Pillows were very comfortable, they served a great breakfast with wonderful options for a reasonable price. The terrace cafe also overlooked the lake and had nice lighter fare with a fantastic view. The location was just a couple of blocks from the Capitol and surrounding shops and restaurants. My kids had a much larger room with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa, but the sleeper was disguised in a large sectional couch. The rooms either have a view of the lake or the Capitol building. Great stay, very nice hotel, and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share you experience on TripAdvisor. We love our location here in downtown Madison and our views of the Capitol or Lake Monona. We look forward to your next stay with us! Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The location of the hotel can't be beat. The renovations have really upgraded the rooms and the overall comfort level. There are still some rough edges in some of the rooms. Overnight parking is $13 and in really, really narrow spaces, as others have written about. You can walk across the skybridge to the lakefront, which is great for walking or running.

A solid but nothing spectacular hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
I am glad you noticed all the renovations we have made, and we are just finishing the final details this week. We are very proud of the improvements. Thank you for staying and sharing! Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I was only here for one night, but my stay was comfortable and the location can't be beat. The Hilton is just blocks from the capitol and the heart of Madison. The lobby was spacious and nice, though quite formal. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The room was comfortable and offered a nice view of the isthmus.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
We can't begin to express how fortunate we are to be in such a great location in beautiful downtown Madison! Thank you so much for your review, and we hope you will be able to join us again soon. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
Richland Center, WI
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I stayed at the hotel on Friday, June 22. I had booked the hotel on Hotwire for an incredible price of $55 plus tax for the night. When my traveling companion and I returned to the hotel at approximately 2AM, we heard a man screaming. It was short bursts, but there were several of them. At first we thought maybe they were coming from the street, but we were on the 9th floor and they sounded much closer than that. They dissipated within a few minutes, as though it were horseplay, and we fell asleep. At 5:23 AM, I was awoken by the same sound. Again, it sounded very close, like perhaps in an adjoining room. The screams were indiscernible as to their nature. I went down to the front desk and reported the screaming, indicating that I didn't know if there was a medical emergency or if this was something sexual in nature. I was assured that security would be notified. I should mention that I could clearly hear the screaming from the elevator and I indicated this to the front desk worker. At 6AM, we could still hear the screaming. It was incredibly creepy and there was no way we were getting back to sleep, so we simply packed up and left. While our hotel only cost $55 plus tax for the night, it was a rip off for only getting 3 hours of sleep. I would have expected more prompt service as I was clearly shaken when I contacted the desk.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank PromQueen10
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I want to apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. I did follow up with security and want to assure you that they did respond right when you brought it to our attention. When they went up however, they were unable to find or hear anything out of the ordinary. I'm sorry again for the strange noises that night and hope you will give us a chance again in the future. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Sheri Lee is outstanding at the Olive lounge. The service is fantastic, the drinks and food are even better.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
I am glad to hear you had such a fantastic experience in the Olive Lounge. We have a great bar staff there. Be sure to join us next time for happy hour from 5-7pm on Monday through Friday! Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I went to a conference here and was underwhelmed. The rooms were $176/night which is about $75 under the non-conference price. Parking is $13 per night extra or $18 if you don't request it to be added to your hotel bill. However, you don't find this out until you leave! If you get annoyed, only then does the parking attendant offer to add it to your hotel bill at $13/night.

There is no wi-fi in the rooms, it's dial-up! Seriously! it is dial-up! And it's $3.95 an hour or $9.95 a day! Who has dial-up? and who would charge for dial-up? You can connect to wi-fi in the bar, lobby or business center for free, however, I prefer to be able to use my coputer in my room.

The meals for the conference were not good. The food was cold. Scrambled eggs with chives and Rosemary potatoes every morning! Ewww! Nasty! I also ate in the Olive Room, that was somewhat better, but still mediocre.

The housekeeping/maintenance staff were friendly as was the conference/banquet manager. The wait staff and front desk staff were not friendly and sometimes downright snarky!

The location is great if you need a close to the capitol location. The hotel rooms, okay. The furniture, i.e. chairs in the room are better quality than some motels. The lighting was poor so reading in the chairs was not great. Beds were okay. I did like that the comforters were covered by a clean sheet, so one could lay on the bed without wondering what nasties the seldom-washed comforter held!

The motel was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and is outwardly attractive. The convention center is very nice (if you ignore the ugly carpet!) and is right on Lake Monona for a lovely view.

Getting to the convention center is awkward-you walk through the bar, then take a skywalk. If you have materials needing a cart, you must take an elevator to the parking garage, get out on the first floor, maneveur your cart through the bar patrons, down the skywalk, then down another elevator to the convention floor, then through the 4th floor to another elevator if your room is on one of the two lower floors.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are nice, however, they cost additional dollars.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments here. This kind of feedback is how we continually improve our service. I wanted to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay. This is not our typical guest experience and for that I am very sorry. I want to assure you that we are priced right in line with other comparable hotels in the area. Thank you again for your review, and we hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the future. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager