“Hidden Gem”

Lakeview Bakery and Deli
Ranked #276 of 1,083 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed June 30, 2016 via mobile

This place is great, it's hard to understand why it has taken me seven years to come here. The food is simple, well priced and very tasty. Staff and friendly and helpful, the food came out quickly and the atmosphere is great. There is free parking in the back. I would recommend have one of their cookies. They are large, most and full of stuff. Very nice. It's part of the Essen House, Hotel Ruby Marie etc. They also have a small patio but it was shut due to being booked out already. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed May 23, 2016 via mobile

I got the cooks choice sandwich where she randomly puts a sandwich. It was awesome. The cheese was melted, the edges of the spinach were still crisp and cool, there was a ton of ham and it fills you up. The lady was really nice.

You get a sliver view of the lake and a good area to watch traffic and people.

If I lived here if probably become a regular.

Reviewed October 30, 2015

Breakfast was included with our stay @ the Hotel Ruby Marie which is connected. The omelet was delicious and the topper was the homemade bread options. The amazing smell of fresh baked sourdough made my mouth water!

Reviewed September 30, 2015 via mobile

The coffee and everything else was delicious. My wife and I decided to spoil ourselves for breakfast one morning. We went to lakeview and tried the croissants, the cinnamon rolls, and several stuffed breakfast rolls. It was incredible. The courtyard is ridiculously charming (though in all fairness, it was a perfect day, so I think God gets as much credit as the bakery. But croissants, coffee and a beautiful day with my best friend was about as perfect of a way to start off a week as I could have imagined!

Reviewed April 25, 2015

This was the third or fourth time we ate at LAKEVIEW Bakery and Deli. The first time we wanted German food for lunch, but found that restaurant wasn't open at lunchtime, so since the Lakeview is in the same building decided to try it. My wife and I now make it a point to try and have a free lunch date here when we are visiting Madison. We also get some of Lakeview's specialty breads every time we are in town even if we can't stop for lunch.

Our favorites are the "Lunchbox" and "Lite Lunchbox" combos. Mine has been the Bangkok Pig (ham, shaved pork loin, and Swiss cheese with Bangkok cucumber relish) with a cup of chili and chips. This time my wife chose the Turkey Avocado Melt (turkey, bacon, red peppers, spinach and pepper jack cheese) with a cup of the soup of the day and chips. We enjoy a good cup of black coffee (bottomless) and share a large peanut butter cookie topped with thick rich chocolate for dessert. :)

The man who runs the Lakeside Bakery is also the baker and always has a variety of unique breads (many are made with herbs, and beer) sometimes with sun-dried tomatoes, or ham and different cheeses, or nuts and fruits - all have been delicious! It is worth a trip into downtown Madison just to get a couple of loaves of bread. But don't go late in the afternoon or evening as they are only open during the mornings and at lunchtime.