“So Far So Good For Busy Professional's Long Term Stay”

Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd.
Ranked #46 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This location was chosen based on location and price. Building is quiet and clean. Family like atmosphere. Guests are of all ages. Studio unit is spacious, kitchen has more counter space than my last 2 bedroom apartment. Bathroom is good size, good lighting, water pressure. Kitchen has full size fridge/freezer, four burner stove top, oven, basic cookware/utensils including strainer, small microwave, toaster. Hot water is readily available in shower and kitchen. Entry way is wood floor, tile in bathroom and kitchen. Good size desk for desktop PC. Lots of lighting in unit...floor lamp, six additional table lamps. Full size sofa, comfy recliner. TV swivels for living room or bedroom view. Housekeeping and front desk staff are pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed here for 2 weeks in October, and from the moment we arrived until the day we left, we were treated wonderfully. The ladies at the front desk (sorry can't remember their names) were extremely helpful whenever we needed anything. The property was clean, and well maintained. We did laundry a couple of times - machines were fairly new and did a quick job. If you don't have enough quarters, again the front desk staff were very helpful. Made reservations for next spring already

Room Tip: We liked the room we had on the very north end of the building, which was close to the exit, and we...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I stayed at the Extended Stay Deluxe for almost two weeks.

The best things about it are that it's in a great location, the staff was very friendly and accommodating, it was quiet, and I did sleep well.

Now for the bad. ..When I first checked into my room everything looked okay but there was a stale odor in the room. I opened the window hoping to air out the room. It soon became clear that the room was not just dirty, but filthy -- the doors, the mirrors, the windows, the furniture, everything. I ended up going to the store to buy cleaning supplies and cleaned the room, but I never felt like it was really clean. I think at one time it was a smoking room so the curtains and furniture just reaked, and there were cigarette burns in the carpet and sofa. I ended up putting sheets on the sofa and chair and never actually sat on them. I bought my own blanket at a nearby store and tossed the bedspread in the closet. The rooms have a kitchenette, and the first time I used the oven the whole room started to smell like oven cleaner. When I opened the oven I found that someone had indeed sprayed oven cleaner in the oven but hadn't wiped it off. I finally broke down and wiped off the oven cleaner and found that I half-hearted attempt had been made to clean the oven and a lot of it was still dirty. There was also an apt-size fridge in the room the top of it, handles, and inside were dirty too. Believe it or not, the cleanest part of the room was the bathroom.

They do have a laundry room available for guests and the inside of the washers were filthly, too, and I ended up scrubbing them down before using them.

What's so surprising is that someone always seemed to be cleaning at the hotel, yet it was so dirty. I think they try but totally miss the mark.

They do offer internet service for $4.99 per stay, but it's pretty slow. You can upgrade to a faster service, for (I think) $15 per stay. They also advertised wireless printing where you are supposed to be able to print from your room and pick up your printing in the lobby. But the service wasn't working when I was there. I would check that it's working before you print, because I printed and since the service wasn't working I have no idea where my documents ended up. Thank goodness they were private/sensitive documents.

The hotel seemed to be full of construction workers and other contractors. This isn't a family-type hotel and definitely not a destination hotel experience.

To be honest, I would have checked out and gone somewhere else, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't do that.

If you have to stay there ask for a former non-smoking room that doesn't face the highway

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2010

During my 7 month stay at this hotel, I was treated very poorly by the staff in Madison.
When the desk lamp in my room stopped working, the maintenance person kept replacing it with other desk lamps "in storage" which did not work. After giving me three different lamps, he finally gave me a new desk lamp which actually worked. This situation occurred at a time critical period, when I was working at night from the hotel room via the internet and needed a decent desk lamp.

The same situation was repeated when the coffee maker stopped working. I was given old coffee makers from "Storage". Eventually I was given a working model.

The Laundry room was rarely cleaned. The third floor passageway from the elevator to my room had obnoxious and pungent cooking smells 24/7 from the tenants and also because the windows at the ends of the passageway were NEVER opened.

When I mentioned these challenges to the staff their reply was "We understand your frustration" and then they promptly went ahead and did nothing about it.

On Friday 17, September at 2 a.m the side entrance door to the building was damaged and the safety glass destroyed by a tenant trying to enter the building. On other occasions teenagers were running up and down the passageway racing each other at 12.30 at night.

In view of the fact I was paying over $1000.00 per month to stay here while on a work assignment, I find this kind of treatment unbelievable.
I doubt that after this I will ever stay at one of their hotel chains again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Danny M
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We had three rooms to accommodate three families. Our purpose in coming to Madison was to visit a relative (turning 90yrs) that lives across the street at the Attic Angels senior living facility. We could have walked between the two if we had wanted to.

The kitchenette saved us from eating every meal in a restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We have stayed at many hotels and this by far is the best. We had 5 adults, 8 children (4 older kids who are 6ft and taller. We reserved 3 rooms and the stay was spacious. In these deluxe rooms we had 2 queen beds with a sofa sleeper and recliner. In my room we had a very spacious living area and a nice size kitchen with a full size refrigerator and stove. Each room had dishes for 4 people and pot and skillet plus toaster and coffee maker. It was the best room we have ever had. Customer service was very kind and polite, even the cleaning staff took and other employees took the time to speak when passing us in the hall. Location was very good as the mall was right around down the street, gas station in the back and even a shopping mall that had valet parking (OMG!!) We love this place and look forward to staying at Extended Stay Deluxe for any travel stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Found these guys through a local website: http://rentrodger.com/extended-stay-hotels/
and I was very pleased. Next time I travel back to Madison I will be staying here again, I have stayed quite a few times in Madison, and this ranks as one of the top hotels for the money.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business