“Old School Charm”

Nick's Restaurant
Ranked #363 of 1,097 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Reviewed March 25, 2018

This place had a super old school vibe. The kitchen was right when you walk in and they cook it up for all to see which is great! Food was pretty good. I had some lemon rice soup and I was a bit overwhelmed by the lemon but that was probably just my taste buds. The chops were recommended to me and they were pretty good although I think they needed a bit of seasoning. However the french fries were FABULOUS!!! No need for dipping sauce they were fried to perfection!

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed February 25, 2018 via mobile

My son and I went to see a concert at the Orpheum Theater next door, we had reserved seats so didn't want to stand in line so we thought we would kill time in Nick's, glad we did. Pretty busy but got a table right away. Service was very good and prompt. We both had bacon cheeseburgers and fries. They were cooked perfectly and tasted good. Don't think we waited five minutes after ordering. You don't see that too much anymore. We were very happy with the meal and experience. If we're in downtown Madison again I would definitely eat there.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed December 16, 2017

Kind of tucked out of the way on State Street, Nick's is just a hidden jewel. A Greek-leaning menu is supplemented by American classics. Awesome pie and fries. Get the strawberry shortcake when it is in season. Only downside is the bathrooms are in the basement. Otherwise a quiet, easy going place for good food.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed November 13, 2017

Nick's is our new favorite restaurant in the Overture Theater neighborhood of downtown Madison. We chose it last night because driving down from Sun Prairie we wanted to make sure we got down there and parked in time for the performance with a little leeway in case of traffic/parking ramp delays. First, let me say that there was no long wait to order or to have the food arrive; that can be important if there's somewhere you have to be afterward. They have an extensive menu and everything is prepared to order. We had a view of the kitchen (right behind the bar) and it was a one man show. French fries came with my Reuben sandwich (excellent, by the way), and the fries were fresh out of the fryer, piping hot. Best restaurant french fries I can ever remember anywhere! So delicious that it would be a sin to douse them with ketchup. The decor is a classic right out of the 1940's-'50's look. Wallpaper on the walls, one of those wood frame and glass pie pie cabinets, and a bar from the same era. We had an idea what the interior would be like before we went in; the tall Nick''s sign hanging out front over the door looked like those you see in old black and white photos from back in the day. All in all it was a great experience for us, food, ambience, waitstaff, you name it. We will be back for sure and not necessarily in connection with going to the theater. It would be a nice place to take out of town guests for a taste of classic Madsison.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed November 9, 2017

We were looking for a meal and it was a busy weekend; the Badgers playing Northwestern. Every place was packed and we stumbled upon NIck's and it was a good pick. Good tasting food, quick service and great waitstaff. No attitudes here, just great service. We felt very satisfied after our meal.

Date of visit: October 2017