“Great Local Coffee Shop”
Review of Cafe Zoma

Cafe Zoma
Ranked #29 of 53 Coffee & Tea in Madison
Price range: US$5 - US$8
Reviewed March 24, 2016

I'm no coffee snob, so I'm speaking more to the atmosphere than the drinks. Though I've never been disappointed by any of the food or drinks there. It's a nice place to sit and read or chat, the back seating area is awesome on summer nights. I've gone there several times to work and the staff is friendly and they always have some local artwork on the walls, frequently from local schools. I'd recommend stopping by to support a local business and skip the chain up the street.

Reviewed March 17, 2016

As one that frequent coffee shops, I feel I can make my comments concerning Cafe Zoma with some credibility. First the coffee. I have ordered expresso and cafe Americano many times. Each time I have order it, no matter what Barista (and I am using that term, loosely as I think many working there, do not deserve that title), it comes without a crema. Crema (please look it up as you do not know what it is apparently) is a signature of a well made expresso. Without crema, it is clear sign something is not done correctly. I would argue that Zoma is one of the only coffee shops that actually cannot make a crema on their expresso. The taste of the expresso's and Americano's resembles dinner coffee that has been sitting in the glass coffee pot 5 hours, burning away. Second the servers. I have complained once with an email to the owner without a reply. That one particular server stopped texting me, conveying at attitude that I was interrupting her to be waiting on. Without any so much as hi, took my payment without even acknowledging my presence. None the less the majority of the staff share in some entitled attitude that service and being friendly is not part of being a barista. I will say there was one Barista over the several years that was terrific and no longer works there. A word to the severs…if you do not like people do not do this job. Your in customer service, remember that. It should be mentioned that the turnover has been remarkable. I see many Baristas, in other places and have a first name bases when I frequent there establishments. For the owner It would be a good idea to explain to the servers, learn your craft, remember there are many excellent Baristas in Madison, and you would be wise to know that. Yes, I frequent small local establishments as I believe in supporting local business. But if I am going to pay for poor quality and poor service i will at least let you know. And given that you did not return an email from a customer, demonstrates that you do not care care about your customers, its understandable how your employees and coffee are poor. I will say that they have a very good bakery goods.

Reviewed November 6, 2014

The drinks are always really good. Their decaf coffee is delicious. On this visit I had a chai-der, which was half chai and half apple cider. I had it hot. Loved it.

Reviewed November 3, 2014

I recently met someone for an informal interview at Cafe Zoma. I hadn't been there in a while and was reminded of what a delightful place it is! The tables are so well-spaced that it is easy to carry on a good conversation without either hearing too much of others' conversations or fear of being easily overheard yourself. The coffee drink menu is creative and fairly-priced. I also love that when you buy a pound of their terrific coffee beans (which they will happily grind for you) that you get a FREE coffee or tea drink! That's an awesome "perk"!! We sat inside, but there is some lovely outdoor seating, when the weather cooperates!

Reviewed October 9, 2014

Good sandwiches and coffee in a great Willy St. location - makes me feel like a student again! Great variety of sandwiches with very fresh ingredients. Outdoor seating in the summer.