“Friendly guide, wonderful stories and history” 5 of 5 bubbles

Small-Group Bayou Airboat Ride with Transport from New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: locally owned and family run New Orleans tour company,first class, small scale, personalized service since 1979. Experienced and knowledgeable Driver-Guides on board comfortable, top of the line 13 passenger vans enthusiastically will make you fall in love with Louisiana!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Friendly guide, wonderful stories and history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Took the Plantation Tour of Laura and Oak Alley Plantation. Our guide narrated the local stories and history and also told us about the connected between the plantations and New Orleans. We were picked up and dropped off at our hotel in the city and our guide was very knowledgable. We had also gone on a cemetery tour with a different company, only to learn that our Tours by Isabelle guide was significantly better at telling stories and did not have to pause to recall dates and stories. Great tour!

Visited March 2012
5 Thank Becca478

Intercourse, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Depends on the guide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We took the all day combo plantation/swamp boat tour. Here's the good and bad:
The selected destinations i.e. Laura and Oak Alley Plantations and Torres Swamp tours were excellent. In particular Mr Torres is a true experienced Cajun Swamp hunter/fisherman with a wonderful store of knowledge. He gave an excellent tour on his boat- far far better than a prior "airboat" tour I took,( which was loud, cold, uncomfortable and lacking in any interesting wildlife.)
Now here's the not so good: our "guide" was really more of a driver than a guide. There was very little commentary. Most of the driving was in silence. Such a waste because I was hoping to get some background on Creole and Cajun culture. He encouraged us to ask questions but it became clear he didn't know the answers to fairly basic questions, for example:
1) The plantation menu said " Creole and Cajun food" What's the difference?- Didn't know
2) The inventory at the plantation listed slaves as: "African Negro", "American Negro", "Creole Negro". What does this mean? Didn't know.
3) Most of the swamps are privately owned. Why would someone want to own a swamp? Didn't know.
4) What does Creole mean?
Etc etc
After a while it just became embarrassing so we stopped asking questions and just drove in silence. I eventually went on-line to get these basic answers.
So in fact we could have rented a car and with a GPS could have gone to all three places for less money. I have to think that Isabelle has better guides and maybe we just picked a bad day.

8 Thank nyjazzfan
Culver City, California
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Wonderful tour to see New Orlean's plantations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I took the Laura and Oak Alley half-day tour. The driver/guide, Ginnie, was simply amazing! She was prompt and provided relevant commentary about New Orleans' history and some of the sights as we were driving out to the plantations and back. The van was pretty comfortable for me because I was the first to be picked up and rode shot-gun :). We got some time to browse the plantation gift shops after the plantation tour, but not much time to walk around. The only downside was that I didn't get a chance to go on my first choice tour because not enough people signed up for that day. I was planning on doing Evergreen/Destrehan and save Oak Alley/Laura for my next trip in April with my kids. The tour is not cheap, but the convenience is worth it if you don't have a car. Also, I think the guides' commentary helped me to appreciate New Orleans more.

1 Thank azbz
Fremont, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent half-day tour to Laura and Oak Alley Plantations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Tours by Isabelle picked us up at the restaurant where we had brunch and took us on a fascinating and educational 6-hour trip through Lousiana history. Our guide, Muriel, gave a running commentary on where we were going, what we would see, what it was like to live in Lousiana during the plantation era plus more current history. Her perspective on past and present events was refreshing (and also entertaining) but respectful of veracity. Laura and Oak Alley provide two very different glimpses of life on the River Road. At the plantations, the plantation staff provide the tours--Laura's was very good, Oak Alley was very good but a bit too rushed. Excellent value and time well spent in the bayou!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank S M
San Jose, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Never can get her to confirm a booking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have tried twice to use this outfit once on each of my trips to New Orleans. She wont confirm until she has 6 people at least. This is Ok if you want to wait until the very last minute to go. Howver if she doesnt get enough people you are out that tour. Both times I ended up having to make alternative tour arrangements. WIth as many tours that are our there why put yourself though this. Others will confirm on the spot & go with fewer people if necessary. I will never call them again.

6 Thank Susie M