“Interesting and fun tour.”
Review of Tours by Isabelle

Small-Group Louisiana Plantations Tour from New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: locally owned and family run New Orleans tour company,first class, small scale, personalized service since 1979. Experienced and knowledgeable Driver-Guides on board comfortable, top of the line 13 passenger vans enthusiastically will make you fall in love with Louisiana!
VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Interesting and fun tour.”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Great way to see 2 beautiful plantations and learn their history. Tour guides were fun and informative. Would recommend this tour to Oak Alley and Laura Plantations.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank VaDaisy

Mitchell, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This woman knew her stuff !! She lived in the 9th quarter where it was the worse. She provided maps that clearly outlined the direction, flow and destruction of Katrina. Being a small van atmosphere was the best for asking and answering questions. This was by far the best decision to hire her, since a big bus group would not be as intimate. Book well ahead since she is a small operation. She would stop for pictures whenever you asked.

4 Thank WolfeMitchell_Canada
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Friendly guide, wonderful stories and history”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Took the Plantation Tour of Laura and Oak Alley Plantation. Our guide narrated the local stories and history and also told us about the connected between the plantations and New Orleans. We were picked up and dropped off at our hotel in the city and our guide was very knowledgable. We had also gone on a cemetery tour with a different company, only to learn that our Tours by Isabelle guide was significantly better at telling stories and did not have to pause to recall dates and stories. Great tour!

Visited March 2012
5 Thank Becca478
Intercourse, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Depends on the guide”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We took the all day combo plantation/swamp boat tour. Here's the good and bad:
The selected destinations i.e. Laura and Oak Alley Plantations and Torres Swamp tours were excellent. In particular Mr Torres is a true experienced Cajun Swamp hunter/fisherman with a wonderful store of knowledge. He gave an excellent tour on his boat- far far better than a prior "airboat" tour I took,( which was loud, cold, uncomfortable and lacking in any interesting wildlife.)
Now here's the not so good: our "guide" was really more of a driver than a guide. There was very little commentary. Most of the driving was in silence. Such a waste because I was hoping to get some background on Creole and Cajun culture. He encouraged us to ask questions but it became clear he didn't know the answers to fairly basic questions, for example:
1) The plantation menu said " Creole and Cajun food" What's the difference?- Didn't know
2) The inventory at the plantation listed slaves as: "African Negro", "American Negro", "Creole Negro". What does this mean? Didn't know.
3) Most of the swamps are privately owned. Why would someone want to own a swamp? Didn't know.
4) What does Creole mean?
Etc etc
After a while it just became embarrassing so we stopped asking questions and just drove in silence. I eventually went on-line to get these basic answers.
So in fact we could have rented a car and with a GPS could have gone to all three places for less money. I have to think that Isabelle has better guides and maybe we just picked a bad day.

8 Thank nyjazzfan
Culver City, California
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Wonderful tour to see New Orlean's plantations”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I took the Laura and Oak Alley half-day tour. The driver/guide, Ginnie, was simply amazing! She was prompt and provided relevant commentary about New Orleans' history and some of the sights as we were driving out to the plantations and back. The van was pretty comfortable for me because I was the first to be picked up and rode shot-gun :). We got some time to browse the plantation gift shops after the plantation tour, but not much time to walk around. The only downside was that I didn't get a chance to go on my first choice tour because not enough people signed up for that day. I was planning on doing Evergreen/Destrehan and save Oak Alley/Laura for my next trip in April with my kids. The tour is not cheap, but the convenience is worth it if you don't have a car. Also, I think the guides' commentary helped me to appreciate New Orleans more.

1 Thank azbz