Open today: 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Old River Road Plantation Adventure
from US$150.00
from US$90.00
from US$150.00
More Info
All reviews oak alley swamp tour slave cabins mint julep laura tour scenic route included lunch explore the grounds cajun pride old south combo tour sugar cane great tour half day tour southern louisiana dropped off gift shop
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We visited 2 plantations, had a very good local lunch, and toured the swamp in a manner to see, but not disturb, wildlife. It did seem rushed, but we knew that to do all that in 1 day, it had to be. Our safe driver and narrator was wonderfully knowledgeable. The van was tight (we are tall people) but newer and clean, and the sound was excellent. I highly recommend this tour if you want to see a lot in a short amount of time (we visited both Oak Alley and Laura). We would take this tour again. I would not recommend it for those with small children or individuals who expect a lot of time at each entity.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank Cheryl R
Reviewed April 2, 2018

My friend and I chose this tour company because they had an option to tour 2 plantations and do a swamp tour in one day. Our driver was particularly excellent as he is a historian and gave us a much richer experience than we could have guessed. We visited Oak Alley and Laura plantations. We had the option to visit San Francisco instead of Laura, but our driver informed us that the San Francisco tour is severely lacking in quality (i.e. mostly ignores the issue of slavery), whereas the Laura plantation tour is one of the best. I couldn't agree more. The Laura plantation tour was especially fantastic. Learning about the difference between a Creole and and American plantation was really helpful. Our tour guide at Laura was a 4th generation Creole himself, and so that combined with the fact that the tour is based on first person narrative from Laura was incredible. The lunch and swamp tour were less fantastic, so I'm really glad they were combined with the plantation tours. Note that if you do the tour combined with the swamp tour, this swamp feeds the alligators marshmallows, not animals, which I appreciated. The swamp tour was fun and silly and I got to hold an alligator, so I would ultimately recommend it, even if it's not as enriching as the plantation tours. The only thing I wish is that ORRPA offered transport to the Whitney Plantation, as our driver informed us that this is considered America's only slavery museum and I would have been very interested in going, though very few tour companies offer transport there.

1  Thank DinoDinoSpatula
Reviewed March 31, 2018

This is the most awesome preservation of history in the Old South. It takes you back to the time when Antebellum ruled, it is beautiful to see these old buildings but heartbreaking to think about what Pain it took to build them. Great history lesson for the entire family.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

My family, husband, 2 children, and I took this tour this past week and highly recommend this tour. We learned a whole lot about the history of the area, Katrina's impact, and the culture of the area. The slavery portion of the tours were insightful and necessary lessons that brought to life a part of the US's history. The gorgeous buildings on the plantations and the slave quarters were highlights. Our guides were thorough, knowledgeable and engaging. In particular, the bus driver narrated the whole drive and pointed out areas of history on our way there. We were very pleased with that portion of the trip as it was a long drive.

Reviewed March 19, 2018

Decided to do 2 plantations and are glad we did. Booked last minute, so couldn't get our first choice of the morning tour. Was a long afternoon and we didn't get back to the French Quarter until 6:15, but we had brought some snacks/water with us, so didn't mind not having lunch. The bus driver gave us a lot of information on the ride to the plantations about what we passed and the flooding of 05. The Laura plantation wasn't as Gone With The Wind type like Oak Alley, but had some original slave cabins. The tour guide there gave us great information of plantation life for both the owners and slaves along with the family history of both. Oak Alley has more elaborate furnished rooms, along with some other exhibits to see. Worth the trip just to see the magnificent oak trees lining the driveway.

3  Thank Jane and Bob F