“Travel back in time...”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$150.00*
and up
Full-Day Oak Alley and Evergreen Plantations from...
Ranked #16 of 383 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Take a exciting narrated journey through swamps and wetlands to a magical place where time has stood still, the Old River Road. Tour majestic Oak Alley Plantation's antebellum mansion and charming Laura plantation or historic Evergreen and view her 22 slave cabins. Haunted Manchac Swamp and a Cajun lunch are also available as a combo with the plantations. Named New Orleans Best Swamp Plantation combination with lunch. Antebellum mansion tours at their finest by Old River Road Plantation Adventure.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was a wonderful way to experience the plantations without having to worry about driving, or booking several tours. Nick was our guide, and he was entertaining the entire way to the plantations. He knew so much about New Orleans, and we ended up learning about the history of how NOLA came to be- as well as the levee systems that protect the city. Nick communicated well prior to the tour and made sure we were up on time and had specific directions for picking us up. We got to relax the entire time. The plantations themselves were amazing. I couldn't get enough of it..hope to visit more plantations the next time I am in NOLA. GO ON THIS TOUR!

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"dropped off"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited 2 plantations, had a very good local lunch, and toured the swamp in a manner to see, but not disturb, wildlife. It did seem rushed, but we knew that to do all that in 1 day, it had to be. Our safe driver and narrator was wonderfully knowledgeable. The van was tight (we are tall people) but newer and clean, and the sound was excellent. I highly recommend this tour if you want to see a lot in a short amount of time (we visited both Oak Alley and Laura). We would take this tour again. I would not recommend it for those with small children or individuals who expect a lot of time at each entity.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My friend and I chose this tour company because they had an option to tour 2 plantations and do a swamp tour in one day. Our driver was particularly excellent as he is a historian and gave us a much richer experience than we could have guessed. We visited Oak Alley and Laura plantations. We had the option to visit San Francisco instead of Laura, but our driver informed us that the San Francisco tour is severely lacking in quality (i.e. mostly ignores the issue of slavery), whereas the Laura plantation tour is one of the best. I couldn't agree more. The Laura plantation tour was especially fantastic. Learning about the difference between a Creole and and American plantation was really helpful. Our tour guide at Laura was a 4th generation Creole himself, and so that combined with the fact that the tour is based on first person narrative from Laura was incredible. The lunch and swamp tour were less fantastic, so I'm really glad they were combined with the plantation tours. Note that if you do the tour combined with the swamp tour, this swamp feeds the alligators marshmallows, not animals, which I appreciated. The swamp tour was fun and silly and I got to hold an alligator, so I would ultimately recommend it, even if it's not as enriching as the plantation tours. The only thing I wish is that ORRPA offered transport to the Whitney Plantation, as our driver informed us that this is considered America's only slavery museum and I would have been very interested in going, though very few tour companies offer transport there.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is the most awesome preservation of history in the Old South. It takes you back to the time when Antebellum ruled, it is beautiful to see these old buildings but heartbreaking to think about what Pain it took to build them. Great history lesson for the entire family.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My family, husband, 2 children, and I took this tour this past week and highly recommend this tour. We learned a whole lot about the history of the area, Katrina's impact, and the culture of the area. The slavery portion of the tours were insightful and necessary lessons that brought to life a part of the US's history. The gorgeous buildings on the plantations and the slave quarters were highlights. Our guides were thorough, knowledgeable and engaging. In particular, the bus driver narrated the whole drive and pointed out areas of history on our way there. We were very pleased with that portion of the trip as it was a long drive.