“"P'cahn prah-leens - that's how you pronounce it."”

Southern Candymakers
Ranked #3 of 63 Dessert in New Orleans
Price range: US$1 - US$205
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Southern Candymakers is a family-owned candy store in New Orleans' charming French Quarter. According to Bon Appetit Magazine, we have the best pralines...fresh and handmade daily!
Sewell, New Jersey
“"P'cahn prah-leens - that's how you pronounce it."”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

When visiting NOLA, you go to either Laura's or Southern Candymakers or both for your pecan pralines. I, being a sugar addict and candy afficionado, went to both multiple times. I came out of both in a near sugar coma.

The pralines are excellent. I'm not sure if I prefer Laura's or Southern's, they're a little different. I think Laura's are sweeter. But addictive, definitely! The chocolate are especially good. A little pricey, but I think that lends to their mystique.

I'm eating a Southern Candymakers dark chocolate "tortue" as I write this review - basically it's a turtle - pecans, caramel, covered in chocolate. I find the caramel too soft, I like it nice and chewy, but this is pretty tasty. I think their chocolate could be a higher quality, but since I make my own chocolates, I'm a bit of a snob in that area.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Dulcinea10

• Turkish first
Roswell, Georgia
“Pleasant stop for a sweet tooth”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We visited both locations during our trip and both were nice. The staff was very pleasant and the selection offered something for everyone. The "prawlines" were sweet but very good and certainly a "must-try" during a New Orleans vacation. (Feel free to ask for samples!) The tortues (turtles) were also great for satisfying a sweet tooth. Prepare to wait in line as these are popular shops but, the lines move quickly.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank Jennifer M
socandy, Customer Service at Southern Candymakers, responded to this review, 2 November 2015
We're so happy you had a wonderful experience! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Awesome candy shop for all things chocolate!”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I love this place. This second you walk in all that you smell is deliciousness! We stop in 2-3 times in a week when we are in New Orleans. The peanut butter filled ritz dipped in chocolate is to die for! It's huge and rich so best to share with someone. The pralines are top rated, but I don't care for them myself. I prefer everything chocolate, and if you do too you won't be disappointed getting a quick treat from here!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank maryhochda
Thank you for your enthusiastic praise for our chocolate treats and for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Best candy in Nola”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Get over there now. By far the best praline I have ever had. This is a must do if you are visiting the city.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Ben C
Thank you for your review and your enthusiastic praise for our fresh pralines! Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.
Slidell, Louisiana
“Best candy in town!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great pralines as well as fun alligators and frogs made of chocolate. Fun for the kids!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank TurboJudy
socandy, Customer Service at Southern Candymakers, responded to this review, 3 November 2015
Thank you for your review and your enthusiastic praise for our fresh pralines, alligators and frogs! Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.