“Pralines on parade” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 63 Dessert in New Orleans
Price range: US$1 - US$205
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Southern Candymakers is a family-owned candy store in New Orleans' charming French Quarter. According to Bon Appetit Magazine, we have the best pralines...fresh and handmade daily!
New York NY
“Pralines on parade”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

When I'm in New Orleans I stop by their shop on Decatur Street next door to Iberville Hotel.for a supply of pralines. I'm addicted to them. They are made here every day and I prefer these over the ones on sale at their shop near the French Market.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank johndt41

• Turkish first
Blacksburg, South Carolina
“Sweet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Love, love, love the candy! We stocked up and ate it over a 4 day time period... It was our little night time treat!!!! Staff was wonderful! I'm looking to place an online order in the near future.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank seortega1977
socandy, Customer Service at Southern Candymakers, responded to this review, 30 October 2015
We're glad our staff took care of you and that you enjoyed your candy! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.
Austin, TX
“a sweet tooth's dream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

This place smells AMAZING. They have a fairly good variety -- taffy, pralines, chocolates, and ice cream.
The Trip Advisor map takes you to a different location than the one we visited. We were closer to the Farmer's Market, in a little strip of shops.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Amy C
That's wonderful you had such a savory experience! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.
Morgantown, WV
“Great candy - but there's a caveat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We walked into Southern Candymakers in New Orleans after reading some of the great reviews on TripAdvisor. The first visit was on a Thursday afternoon. There were a couple folks in the store, but it wasn't crowded. When we walked in, the wonderful aroma was almost overwhelming - it was incredible. While we were planning on just trying a couple of their pralines (pronounced "praw-lynes" by the lady at the counter) but were easily talked into taking a couple turtles and mint-covered Oreos as well. The box of candy (which they shrink-wrapped for us) cost around $20 - not cheap by any standards, but it was all so good that we thought it was worth the cost. Over the next couple days, we tried the various items. The pralines were really good - though sweet. The mint-covered Oreos were fabulous as well - the mint really accenting the cookies nicely. But hands-down favorite were the turtles. I highly recommend them.

On Saturday, we returned to Southern Candymakers to pick up a small box of pralines and turtles to bring back to my wife's parents. We asked for two of each - four pieces total (cost somewhere around $10) and asked for them to be put in a box that we could pack in our suitcase. We were rudely informed that we had to buy a minimum of 5 or 6 pieces of candy to get a box - but that we could pay an additional $.50 if we wanted a box. They were busier this day - and while we understood why service was less relaxed than it had been in our first visit, we were shocked by the rudeness of the server. We simply added an extra praline and she put them in a box, but she was snotty throughout the rest of the transaction. Unfortunately, this second, negative experience significantly changed my opinion of Southern Candymakers.

So, I can recommend Southern Candymakers for great candy and a huge assortment to satisfy any sweet tooth. However, if they are busy and you don't purchase enough to please the clerk, you may be left feeling as we were - like second rate customers that would have to pay for packaging because our order was too insignificant for them to bother with boxing up.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank diver26508
Sewell, New Jersey
“"P'cahn prah-leens - that's how you pronounce it."”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

When visiting NOLA, you go to either Laura's or Southern Candymakers or both for your pecan pralines. I, being a sugar addict and candy afficionado, went to both multiple times. I came out of both in a near sugar coma.

The pralines are excellent. I'm not sure if I prefer Laura's or Southern's, they're a little different. I think Laura's are sweeter. But addictive, definitely! The chocolate are especially good. A little pricey, but I think that lends to their mystique.

I'm eating a Southern Candymakers dark chocolate "tortue" as I write this review - basically it's a turtle - pecans, caramel, covered in chocolate. I find the caramel too soft, I like it nice and chewy, but this is pretty tasty. I think their chocolate could be a higher quality, but since I make my own chocolates, I'm a bit of a snob in that area.

Visited April 2012