“Room Quality vs. Staff Service”

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #64 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
“Room Quality vs. Staff Service”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

What an unpleasant experience. All excited to be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras weekend. Check in was a nightmare. Staff at the front desk were dazed and confused and unpleasant Arm bands were required to get in and out of the building, our guests were treated like second class people, the security even grabbed my grand daughter's arm to tighten her arm band so much that it cut the circulation in her arm. I complained to management, but the next day, they did the same thing to my son-in-law. Arm bands for guests cost $20.00 each for each day. This was salt in the wound. I have never stayed anywhere where I had to pay for guests to visit me while in town. We paid $1970.00 for five nights.

I would say the room was nice, but the torture of dealing with the staff was so unpleasant it nearly ruined our experience. I absolutely hated going in and out of the place. For the money we paid to be treated like that was horrible. Every day was a nightmare.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank granny11_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Vancouver
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had a studio with a kitchenette. The unit was comfortable, clean and everything was in working order. Flat screen TV, fridge, stove, micro-wave ... Two comfortable queen beds and a galore of pillows. No bathtub but a spacious shower.
Staff was friendly and helpful. One piece of advice though : avoid the concierge as he or she is actually more a sales agent for Wyndham properties than a real concierge.
Parking is available only as valet parking. $20+ tax per day, half price if you are a timeshare owner.
But the real asset of this resort is its location, right on Charles Street on the streetcar green line. Easy access to the French quarter and other places. Close to the Garden District which is, from what I have seen, a good neighborhood at least in New Orleans' standard.
Our studio was overlooking a sort of interior backyard, so it was quiet.
There is a steakhouse on the premises. Good but expensive. There is another restaurant one block east (Cheesecake something ...) which has more reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the backyard and it was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank beachcomber381
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Room and amenities were all great. Most of these extra items we did not use. Did not realize it was a time share. The telephone and desk staff were patient and courteous. Baggage men were excellent but don't know how much to tip them. The concierge staff was great but they seem to want sell you something. AC was not working but they fixed it right away. $20 fee for parking was questionable but it's safe and better than getting a parking ticket or your car towed. If Mardi gras parades went in front of the hotel it would have been a lot better. Steak restaurant was closed but the Trolley Stop next door was great.

Room Tip: Ask and you may get what you want if available.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russell B A
Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We had a one bedroom suite that was recently redone all the furniture and appliances seemed quite new. For 3 of us staying in unit it was enough space. All the staff we encountered we're very helpful. Best thing was the trolley car stop right across the street. Very quick to get you down to the french quarter . Our favorite places were on Frenchman street . Drinks and eats at The Three Muses and also listened to some good music at The Spotted Cat. It was very busy when we were there so we walked a lot and never felt unsafe. All in all it was a great stay and we would stay at Avenue Plaza again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mayansunloungers4
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We love this hotel. It's perfect if you want to be at quiet place, away from the noise and also in the middle of french quarters and University and garden district area. Street Car stop is right in front of the hotel which is very convenient. We are in 1 BR suit and had a full kitchen, Nice comfortable bed. Loved their Gym. We went in x-mas week and it was in 60s out side but their pool was on with steaming water. very warm water. Nice roof deck but couldn't enjoy as it was cold. Verify friendly staff. I will certainly go back to stay at Avenue Plaza resort. The concierge helped us out to plan our days and recommended different places to visit, book our city tour etc. It 's fully renovated and our unit had brand new carpet, bed, furniture and kitchen appliances. Even the whole way carpet still smelled fresh.

Room Tip: I was on the 4th floor and didn't go on any other floor but all the units looked new on that flo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank avnis
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Friends and I spent a week at the Avenue Plaza earlier this month. We found the hotel to be very well located. It's situation in the Garden district makes it very easy and pleasant to take in the wonderful heritage homes in the area. The St Charles streetcar stops in front which makes it simple to reach the French Quarter etc. from the hotel. There are shops and some excellent restaurants close by. The suite itself was nicely furnished and well- stocked. A minor inconvenience was that there was only one mirror in the WC (slowed things down in the morning).The hotel offers complimentary coffee and other beverages all day which one can enjoy in the courtyard or by the lovely pool. The staff were pleasant, helpful and very polite. We were very happy with our visit to New Orleans and our stay at the Avenue Plaza clearly contributed to our enjoyment of this beautiful and interesting city.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ILudovica
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I really enjoyed my 5 day stay at the Avenue Plaza (Dec 19-24th) in a completely upgraded one bedroom condo. Bathroom was small but otherwise great. Loved the overhead rain shower. FYI: It will tilt to any position you prefer, thus you can use without getting your hair wet (there is a handheld blow dryer in the bottom drawer of cabinet, if needed).
The staff was very pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable about area. Since I forgot my laptop charger, I used their convenient business center. Because they have 3 computer stations, I seldom had to wait or return to use one.
Location good, especially if you'd like to add a work-out to your visit, without having to use a treadmill. Using a city map & directions, given to me by the concierge, I was able to walk downtown and to the waterfront (abt 25 minute walk). I did use the trolley once, because it was late at night. Although the trolley is quite antiquated, it conveniently stops right in front of the hotel. Cost $1.25 plus $.25 for transfer. Caution, must have exact change-but does take dollar bills.St Charles Street is fairly well lit at night and not a lot of foot traffic, so I felt comfortable walking alone to nearby restaurants in the early evening. FYI: Walgreens and Office Depot only a few blocks away.
The only somewhat con I had, was parking. However, paid parking is quite common. I was fortunately able to find free parking on the adjacent side street, which was more convenient for me than the current daily $22 hotel parking fee.
No maid service, but wasn't it included in my vacation plan, so not expected and not an issue for me.
Unfortunately I was only able to stay a few days, thus couldn't explore the city as much as I'd like. Therefore, I plan to return with a friend sometime next year, and will definitely plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: My one bedroom corner unit was very quite.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo