“Great food, great value”

August Moon Restaurant
Ranked #1,013 of 2,084 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Reviewed December 30, 2015

I've been to August Moon before and always enjoyed it. Stopped in this afternoon because (a) I had a coupon that was about to expire, (b) I was in the neighborhood, and (c) I'd been in the mood for Chinese food all week (and the supermarket's frozen egg rolls just didn't cut it). My game plan was to have the wonton soup and egg rolls there, and take the Triple Dragon entree home for dinner.

Wonton soup--Simply the BEST I've ever had anywhere. Most wonton soups contain the wonton and a few pieces of cut up green onions, right? This one had, in addition to the plump wonton, a number of quartered mushrooms (I think shiitake but when I asked all I was told was that they were "fresh", "whole" and "cut-up" which they were ;-]), a generous portion of some sort of greens, and a few small slabs of pork--absolutely delicious! Add to this that, by adding it on to an entree order, it only cost $2.95--such a deal!!

Egg rolls--excellent with lots of small shrimp in them. Very, very tasty. And the sauce that came with them is lite, not the gummy duck sauce of old.

As for the Triple Dragon, looking forward to having it later, but it smells yummy!

Reviewed December 21, 2015

I like this restaurant because it is near my home, it is easy to get to and pretty quick in it's turn around. I usually get take out because I'm tired, but they are always kind and quick in my order. The food is authentic and well prepared. I enjoy their dumplings the most of course. It is decently priced, as they have a good meal which includes the entree, fried rice and egg roll or crab rangoon. It isn't my New York style Chinese food but it is where I go when I want that feeling.

Reviewed August 24, 2015

Did a job at the hospital that kept me in NO for an extended time. Ate lunch and diner at the August Moon a bunch of times over a couple months. Not the most outstanding Chinese food I have encountered, but it was fresh and of good quality. Servings are abundant.

Reviewed August 13, 2015

While New Orleans is known for good food, they're not known for being very healthy. But the August Moon has its standards. First off they don't use any MSG. Perhaps this has become a trendy thing for some people to avoid. I'm not one of them. I will get a violent, debilitating migraine from it. And I can't tell until it's too late. I've had many restaurants tell me that I can order my food with out MSG, only to find out later that they were lying or they messed up.
Next, you can order brown rice instead of white rice here. To diabetics this is a big difference. To a lot of health conscious people this is a very pleasant surprise. There are also many vegetarian dishes to choose from. There are also lots of Vietnamese dishes as well. I honestly don't know how the food varies, I'm sure it does, I'm just not well versed on this subject.
Everything seems to be very fresh. I've been here many times over the years. The service doesn't seem too quick. But some things can't be rushed. This food was not sitting under a heat lamp for two hours before you walked in. No. Sit down, order your food and relax. Go someplace else if you're in a hurry. But when you come here you'll be glad you came.

Reviewed April 9, 2015

I have tried August Moon a few times for lunch and dinner. It was just vile. New Orleans has pretty poor Chinese food offerings to begin with, so I am being kind with the 2 stars.
The basics like Kung Pao Chicken have way too many filler veggies. I love veggies, but using copious onion, water chestnut, and celery is just a trick to offset to lack of meat. The sauces are weak. Everything needs more spice. Nothing tastes fresh.
There is a McDonalds 2-3 blocks away. I would rather eat there.