“Depends on which room you get”

Historic Streetcar Inn
Ranked #137 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Alexandria, Louisiana
“Depends on which room you get”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

There were three of us in an upstairs double room (26). The staff could only find one key to give us when we checked in. Really? The room was clean enough but dated. Funky old bedspreads. Very bland decor in the room. Missing toilet paper roll holder bar. Really? One of the mattress sets seemed worn out, somewhat sunken. The window overlooked a space between an adjacent building where two guard dogs barked at random times in the afternoon and early morning. Internet service dropped one morning of the three nights we were there. There was no coffeemaker in the room and coffee wasn't made downstairs until 8 a.m. Saturday--that seemed late to us. It was prepared by 7 on the other two mornings.

The good points: Great location, easy access to street car. Friendly staff. Reasonable rate. Nice patio/courtyard. Charming hallway.

We knew the hotel did not provide parking when we reserved the room. There were cones on the street in front of the hotel which provided for unloading and loading. And there was no problem finding spots to park along the nearby cross street.

This would not be my first, second or third choice on future trips to New Orleans. There are so many wonderful hotels in this city. And often good deals can be found. But, when an event is going on and other places are booked up, I could see turning to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LivingIcon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My husband helped me choose this hotel, for my road trip with Mom to New Orleans last weekend, based on the great reviews on Tripadvisor.. I was very excited and Mom was curious since she had never experienced staying in other than fancy, more impersonal hotels.

Before I start complaining, I must say that the staff is very nice and friendly and that the place looks charming and cozy.

We were greeted by a nice lady called Aura and a gentleman who helped us out with our luggage; Aura showed us the way to our room. At first I thought it was very convenient because it was located on the first floor (no elevators here, of course) and in the back of the building, next to the breakfast area. It seemed to be very quiet too. The bathroom had the smallest sink I've ever seen in a hotel (or motel!); no room for toiletries and the towels were clean but pretty old.
When I was ready to go to bed, the heater smelled weird, like when something is burning, and soon enough it broke; we woke up in the middle of the night freezing, and to top it of, a garbage truck stopped by and spent what seemed hours on the side of the street emptying the huge dumpsters and making the loudest noise, and a dog who lived in the building behind the hotel (right outside our window) started barking and didn't stop until late morning....
Breakfast was pretty lame: some coffee, teas, some red juice they said was apple juice, half and half, oatmeal, cake and bagels and a cheap cream cheese; no healthy protein, no milk, no fruits.
After a very lovely day out, we got back to the hotel at around 10:30pm to learn that we had to move our stuff to another room on the second floor, because they could not repair the air conditioning unit. We thought that even though it was very inconvenient, (since we had to leave the hotel next morning) it was worth it, so we packed and up we went. What seemed to be a nicer and warm room with a fake fireplace, ended up being just another room right above the one we stayed the first night, with an extremely slippery bathtub, and the noise from the garbage truck and the barking dog repeated all over again waking us up way too early.

I feel bad for writing a review like this, and I wish I could say that we just got and unlucky bedroom and an isolated issue, but unfortunately I can't. Mom left thinking that Ave Garden should not be considered a 'hotel'......

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Nanybel

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Mt. Vernon
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We love it and will go back. We had 3 people an a room with 2 large beds. We felt like we were staying in someone's home. The staff was great, friendly, helpful, courteous, and made us feel like family. Our cruise was detained for 2 days due to tropical storm Lee and there was no problem stayed in same room. We pack too much and they kept our overage and when we returned for one more night they were glad to see us back. The trolley stopped right in front of the Avenue but you do have to be patient fro the trolley. The cost is $1.25 each way. Breakfast the coffee cake and muffins by Melissa will be missed. After hugs goodbye we will try to get back to the avenue.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Brian H
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I was in need of a month plus place to stay. Had an upstairs room w a kitchen.
Staff was more than accomadating! They are always quick to help or fix somethng!
Prime location, great rates!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank midnightkitty5582
Prosser, Washington
Reviewed 29 August 2011

charming building and interior, but alas got into my room pulled back the bed covers and found stained sheets, went into bathroom there was toothpaste splatter on mirror and a dirty toilet, went to office to report the condition and the person on duty came to my room and gave me two sheets, so I could remake the bed.. did not offer me another room , or to reclean the room, As it was late, and I was very tired I remade the bed, and cleaned up the bathroom myself, night clerk said the manager would be notified, she was there in the A.m. and ducked into a room to avoid me.... the building itself is charming, to bad the staff doesnot have the same ...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank unhappy58691
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The mister and I stayed here during our anniversary trip, and we had an amazing time! Everyone was really sweet and really friendly, and didn't seem to mind us coming in and out of the hotel as we needed to change clothes, or retrieve items from our room. They have a continental breakfast waiting for you every morning, which turned out to be really useful when we weren't quite ready to change out of our pajamas to go to find breakfast. At first I felt kind of awkward walking out of my room to get a cup of tea in my pjs, but felt immediately at ease when I realized that everyone else was doing it too! The coziness of the hotel almost makes you feel as though you're staying in someone's house, in a way.
They also have a resident kitty, who was the sweetest thing, and let me snuggle her when I was missing my own cat.

The rooms are nice and the sheets are clean. There was ample storage space for clothes (a closet, and a nightstand with giant drawers). The room also came with a microwave and mini refrigerator, which was so useful to have when we wanted to snack on our leftovers from that day's dinner. The kitchenette also has a sink and some cupboards which were great for extra storage. Housekeeping was great in the sense that we didn't even know that they had been in there, until we went to the bathroom to see that we had fresh towels and that things were tidied up a bit. They very much respected our belongings, and everything was just as we had left it.

One of the best perks of this hotel is that it was walking distance (or trolley distance) from everywhere that we needed to be! We walked to/from the train station which is about four blocks away. On our first night there we went walking around to familiarize ourselves with the area, and before we knew it, we were in the Quarter! It was about a twenty minute walk, and when we didn't want to walk, we didn't have to because the trolley line is right outside the front door! There are also some awesome restaurants right up and down the street from the hotel, including a great sushi place, and the tavern right next door. Also, if you find yourself running out of toothpaste or something like that, then there's a Walgreen's about three blocks away!

All in all, it was a great stay. Very comfortable for a very decent price considering that we were on a budget. We'll definitely be staying here again on our next trip back!

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gabi B
Waco
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The Avenue Garden Hotel is one of the best kept secrets of the New Orleans Garden District. This historic hotel is priced reasonably and has enormous charm. The hospitality of the staff and the ambiance of this beautiful European style boutique made me feel right at home. It is conveniently located right along St. Charles Avenue. The streetcar stops frequently almost right outside the front door of the hotel. It is within walking to distance to ATM's, restaurants, and the World War II Museum. The streetcar line (St. Charles Line) ends at the intersection of CanaI and Bourbon Street s in the French Quarter. Streetcar fare is $1.50 per trip. Free parallel parking is available on the streets near the hotel. I never had to move my car once during my stay. The staff is caring and considerate of your needs. I asked for a slightly quieter room and was accommodated accordingly with a room with a small kitchenette (refrigerator, microwave, sink, and pantry). Any requests you need, be sure and ask. On-site management is available to make sure your stay is enjoyable. Complimentary continental breakfast. Thanks to Lydia for a great stay! Will be a returning guest.

Room Tip: Let management know of any special requests you have at check-in.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo