“Meeting Planners Beware!!”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #22 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I've learned that the word for the day, the word for all days at The Ritz NOLA is a very polite no. Can upgrade to and executive room? No...Despite this executive spending hundreds of thousands o f dollars at this venue the answer is always, no . It plays like a broken record department to department, anything you need, 99.9% of the time the answer will be no.

I fully understand contracts can't be broken, but an upgraded room for the President and CEO, the same one that's footing the bill for the hundreds of thousands of dollars...the same answer goes to him as well…..no, we apologize we can't help you.

Meeting attendance was low and I was actually called by the Regional Manager and accused of not being proactive enough in generating meeting. She proceed to instruct me in how I should do my job, because attendance in the past was wonderful, so why not this time. She gave me unwanted pointers that were counterproductive and not the least bit helpful, actually they were less than helpful
Funny Story, we spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars at recent event at the South Beach venue. I asked my Boss, the CEO be given a nice room with amenities. I was told a bottle of wine would be charged to his room. This after we literally spent thousands of dollars at a receptions, And he was given a room facing the wall. Several moves later someone actually got it and moved him to a nicer room.

Custom service here for large meeting is poor as best, flexibility in contracts even in small request is nonexistent, Save your stress and your money and check out one of the boutique hotels that value customer service and loyalty.

One more story, there were many. We had a member collapse at one of the meeting. I called our meeting planner to summons an ambulance, he texted me back that he did not do that I would have to go to concierge to get help....a man is dying. I ran to the concierge, summoned the security team with the Defibrillator. All was good due to the quick response of the concierge and the security team

As soon I get out of The Ritz and start focusing more on local boutique hotels with better service and value for your money I will be a happy planner. It’s nice to know there are some hotels that are so confident in this down economy that they can treat there loyal client with at best indifference.

Room Tip: I will be staying here April 23rd - April 26 an every step ofthe way so far has painful, I can only...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank WindyCityChicago
RitzManagement, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. Please contact Matt Helms or Donna Brown directly to discuss the issues that you experienced. They can be reached at 504-524-1331. Your review is incredibly important to us and we appreciate your feedback. We hope to earn back your business.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We've stayed at several Ritz Carltons around the country, but this one stands out. I've been to New Orleans countless times, and this hotel is always my favorite. It's around the corner from Bourbon Street and also right across the street from the Streetcar which in my opinion is a perfect location.

The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated, and the bed is extremely comfortable.

The gym made me actually want to work out which doesn't always happen on vacation!

I'd def recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a little bit of luxury while exploring New Orleans.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elisabeth24
RitzManagement, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and are glad to learn that you had a memorable stay. Your review is incredibly important to us as a hotel that prides itself on providing the finest service and facilitates in the city. Thank you for helping us, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We particularly liked returning late at night on Friday and Saturday nights to Jeremy Davenport and his band playing to a full house in the Lounge. And, the outdoor courtyard in the interior atrium is a nice place for an early evening drink before heading out to the clubs. (The only negative, according to my wife, was how quickly the spa booked up. Even midday on weekdays was completely booked several weeks in advance.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing either Canal Street (if you like to watch street activity) or the interior cou...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PLaurino

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and are glad to learn that you had a memorable stay. We apologize that the spa was fully committed during your stay. Your review is incredibly important to us as a hotel that prides itself on providing the finest service and facilitates in the city. Thank you for helping us, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

The location, staff, and facilities were up to par. We did stick with the club level, which was lovely for snacks, and the occasional cocktail. Staff was willing to go above and beyond. The hotel really was an ideal location with an easy stroll to the Canal St shops, Harrah's, etc, and then an equally stroll-able distance in another direction to Jackson Square. The craziness of Bourbon St is incredibly close for being such a quiet hotel. Literally a cross street away. Our new standby for NOLA visits.

Room Tip: We chose a high floor and had zero noise complaints.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BaseballandTiaras

Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for a conference in March. The wifi in our room did not work for our entire stay, and others with the conference had similar issues. It appears to be a hotel-wide problem. Fortunately I have a tether feature on my smartphone, so was able to access the internet using it.

AVOID STAYING AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU NEED RELIABLE WIFI and don't have a backup. They attempted to fix the problem twice, and after that we got tired of having engineers in our room, so just relied on my phone. At some point, at my request, the manager on duty did return a call about the wifi not working, but it was never fixed. It's entirely unacceptable that an upscale hotel doesn't have functioning wifi in its rooms. We were never offered another room, which I suspect is due to the problem not being an isolated one. At check-out, we reiterated our displeasure with the nonfunctioning wifi, which was met with shrugs.

The hotel itself is nice, rooms comfortable in a upscale Marriott type of way. Thick carpeting, plush duvets, comfortable bed, nice sheets, etc. We had a courtyard view, which was nice and quiet. Towels were replenished in the evening with turndown service, and everyone was kind and polite. The maids were especially friendly and considerate.

The location was great, public areas a little tired. The courtyard is nice, but there was never enough staff on hand to remove dirty plates, so we ended up standing up for a drink rather than sitting at a table with dirty dishes. Smoking is allowed in the courtyard, which combined with tables of dirty plates was less than appetizing.

They had this incredibly strong smelling candle in the lobby that apparently was used to cover up a worse smell. We blew it out every chance we got it smelled so bad. Low quality, high petroleum content candle. This can't be something that HQ would approve of.

Adding insult to injury for an already unpleasant experience, I received an invoice 2 weeks after my stay for a minibar charge that we didn't make, and when I called to have it credited (and ask why I was being charged for something 2 weeks after I left) was told that only accounting could help me, and to call back during normal business hours.

Would not stay here again on my own and requested that our conference not be held again here.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank travelerguy5

Reviewed 8 April 2012

I would totally rate this 5-stars, if only wireless signal got to our rooms (1044, 1046). They were right on the corner, and the signal wouldn't reach them - not the best thing if you use an iPad! Anyways, the rooms were as always nice, well-decored, and very very clean! The service was good, but the employees weren't always as kind and professional as the ones in other Ritzs. Location is great, and has a very good experience overall!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank lucaconfavb
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I enjoyed an excellent weekend at the Ritz with my family. This is a wonderful hotel with many nice features. The service was wonderful. Everyone that I interacted with from the doormen, valet parking, housekeeping and wait staff were all incredibly nice and more than accommodating. The rooms were clean and well appointed with modern but classic decor. The beds were very comfortable as well. It has a great Spa and Gym. The location is great as well. It is within a few blocks of Bourbon Street and lots of French Quarter attractions. For some relaxation, spend some time in the courtyard.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family