New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Great hostel, area felt very safe. 10 min walk to the St Charles Street Car to take you to the French Quarter. Comfortable room, very clean. Lovely, helpful staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank 2penguin4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Tillicoultry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

This was a nice place to stay at a good price. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and there are all the normal amenities like a kitchen and laundry. The staff were also really lovely and accommodating - they switched me from a top to a bottom bunk when I asked (because I have a strange fear of crushing the person below me to death in the middle of the night - I don't know why).

My one bugbear is that there didn't seem to be any curfew for noise and that meant that I didn't get much sleep. The location is also just average. It's near the street car line but there are many more hostels/cheap hotels nearer the heart of the city.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

We arrived by train and were picked up at the station by the hostel shuttle. The room was very small, concrete box but reasonably comfortable with AC that helped cut through the humidity. The shared bathroom was like a swamp.
Breakfast was okay, with pancakes and cereal available.
Cheap backpacker's place with reasonable facilities.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

My friend and I stayed at Bourbon House for 2 nights over the weekend. After being worried about location based on reviews I read on this site, the location was not a problem. It was a 10 min walk to the street car, or alternatively a $10 taxi from the French Quater. The owners where amazing, really accommodating and lovely and provided us with great suggestions for food and nightlife. My only negative comment is that the 6 person dorm we stayed in had NO window - this made sleeping pretty difficult as the room was extremely stuffy, there was a fan on the ceiling but with 6 people in one room and no ventilation, this did not do much. Other then that, great place and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure that you as for a room with a window!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Shelby, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

After such a bad experience at an AAE hostel in Boston which charged me an unexpected non-member fee after I had already booked it, I determined never to stay in another AAE hostel. I am super glad that I decided to give this one a chance because it was great in every way (including not charging a non-member fee). It is located in a nice neighborhood 6-8 blocks from a cheap city bus and streetcar. The staff is friendly and helpful, it is clean and secure and the pancake breakfast was a great touch! The only thing I didn't like was a $2.00 charge for lockers. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it highly to others.

Room Tip: They have a stange policy of not permitting older guests to reserve beds in dormitories, but if you...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

The staff is amazing! Anna is a such nice person!!!! Loved the free pancakes at the breakfast!!!! The place is simple, but comfortable and clean!!!! Good location: close to trolly, supermarket, Garden District, bus stop, etc!! It was a good choice!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

First Impression:
We arrived here and the first thing we witnessed was the an employee threatening to throw a young girl out in the street. The reason we found out was that she had booked a private room, was given a dorm instead, and was complaining.

The Room:
On our way to the room, we notices several cockroaches in the hallway. The sink and the tub in the bathroom was full of water and the drains were clogged with sand. Also the location was a good 10 min walk to the tram that takes you to the French Quarter, so my friend and I decided to find another place for the rest of our stay.

The Employees:
We got up, collected our stuff and were at the reception desk at 8AM to checkout. Here is where the unreasonablity comes in. We said we would like to check out, please charge us for the one night we stayed, but not charge us for the next three nights, because we are checking out. After a long and stressful discussion (this was a different person than the day before) they decided to charge us for four nights and later contact the owner in Michigan. Eventually, after a week, we got our money back. It should not have been this difficult =/

General Comments:
Pay a few dollars more and stay at a hotel.
The hostel culture in the US is rather sad. A hostel should not be a dirty rundown place, it should be a clean, but modest accommodation for budget travelers (i.e. students). And the employees have no right to treat their customers in such a manner. This place was not clean and the employees were not friendly, so I do not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Scott M, Owner at AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Dear Guest
Your review of "not clean and unreasonable employees" alarmed me. I am the "owner in Michigan" you mention. I took action and wen there to review. It is not often we get such a bad rap!

Too be honest, what you witnessed at the reception desk was the reverse of what was stated. It was a female who booked a dorm and was forced to accept a private room or leave. We have a policy for protection of all our guest. If you are a New Orleans resident, you are not allowed to stay with us. If your visiting to review schools and only have Louisiana State ID- we still consider you "local" and your not allowed a dorm bed - instead a private room. We do this to ensure that our guest are mingled with like mind travelers and true "back packers" out to experience our great city. We don't want locals just looking for a cheap bed and free food at 15 bucks a night.

On my visit, the place was very clean and bathroom schedules of cleaning were maintained. I reviewed what you said with staff. On the cockroach thing, unfortunately New Orleans is a humid city and the entire area is rich in soil and moistness. cockroaches are prevalent at any ground floor entry during the summer in all areas of NOLA. We do our best to keep doors closed, appropriate hallway poisons and repellants. But, sometimes they seem to "make a run" for it. We do very well at keeping them out of guest rooms and bathrooms. This problem is only in the summer months and they go away the rest.
As for the refund issue, I am sorry- the desk clerk was following policies on refunds after a guest has used room. We did refund your stay- even if it took a few days. I hope you enjoyed New Orleans on your vacation after you re settled! Thanks for trying us, Josh

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels