“A completely new vacation experience....”

Crescent City Cooks
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My family and I arrived a few days early in New Orleans on our way to catch a cruise ship that was leaving from there. We've all been to NOLA before and we were looking for a new experience. My son in law found a place on the internet (www.crescentcitycooks.com) that gives a 3 hour cooking class, so he signed up 4 of us for the class. The class was held in the Riverwalk Marketplace which is a very large building that houses 140 retail shops and restaurants, and is located in downtown New Orleans next to the Mississippi River.

Upon arriving we were met by the owner Nita who took us into a classroom with a wall of glass that overlooked the Mississippi River. I'm over 70 years old I've been in many, many classrooms in my lifetime, but this was by far the most scenic one I've ever been in. And the best part is there was a modern kitchen located at the front of the classroom.

Nita, and her assistant Jamie, proceeded to show about 20 of us students just how to properly cook 3 different dishes. She made a File Seafood Gumbo, Crawfish/ Shrimp Etouffee, and a Bread Pudding with a Bourbon or Rum Sauce. During the preparation of the three dishes she answered any questions we may have had, and allowed us to gather around her and see close up just how she was doing it.

And then after completing each of the dishes she gave us a large sample of the finished product. It was perhaps the best Gumbo, Etouffee, and Bread Pudding I've ever eaten. And since the class only cost $30.00
I figure that after eating all that wonderful food, I got the cooking class for free.

Thank you Nita and Jamie......And I will be back the next time I visit NOLA.

Bob and Wally,Georgia and Savannah...

2  Thank snowpro
"cooking school"
in 11 reviews
"red bean"
in 6 reviews
"creole and cajun cooking"
"great cooking"
"nice store"
"sunday brunch"
"great class"

Reviewed 14 March 2012

The demonstration was fun, informative, and easy to fit into our vacation. The class started at 10am and lasted a couple hours, we did this before catching our flight that afternoon. The demonstrator also talked about regional influences on the dishes we learned to make, offering several possibilities beyond the recipes they gave us. Their gift shop offers all the local products used in the class which was very convenient.

A great way to spend the morning. And, the pralines were much better than the ones I picked up in the French Quarter. They live up to the hype.

2  Thank Magellan26
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Took the demonstration. Lass with the owner as our chef had a great time. Learn some tips for Gumbo, helped to make the étouffée (scrapping that pot for that "gradoux") was my favorite tip. The bread pudding was great and I never liked bread pudding before. The food origins and history lesson was just a lil lagniappe. It was great class with great recipes. Only problem she wouldn't give up the family recipe for the pralines! Man those were good!

2  Thank Abjamesjd
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Thought we would get to cook but it was just a demo. Also asked if she had any discounts (AAA, etc..), she replied only for the military. The next day we saw a discount coupon in the hotels travel guide. I hate liars!!!

Would I do it again, NO!!! I'd watch the food network and save the $60 for Acme Oyster House!!!

3  Thank George O