“A completely new vacation experience....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crescent City Cooks

Crescent City Cooks
Barrington, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A completely new vacation experience....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

My family and I arrived a few days early in New Orleans on our way to catch a cruise ship that was leaving from there. We've all been to NOLA before and we were looking for a new experience. My son in law found a place on the internet (www.crescentcitycooks.com) that gives a 3 hour cooking class, so he signed up 4 of us for the class. The class was held in the Riverwalk Marketplace which is a very large building that houses 140 retail shops and restaurants, and is located in downtown New Orleans next to the Mississippi River.

Upon arriving we were met by the owner Nita who took us into a classroom with a wall of glass that overlooked the Mississippi River. I'm over 70 years old I've been in many, many classrooms in my lifetime, but this was by far the most scenic one I've ever been in. And the best part is there was a modern kitchen located at the front of the classroom.

Nita, and her assistant Jamie, proceeded to show about 20 of us students just how to properly cook 3 different dishes. She made a File Seafood Gumbo, Crawfish/ Shrimp Etouffee, and a Bread Pudding with a Bourbon or Rum Sauce. During the preparation of the three dishes she answered any questions we may have had, and allowed us to gather around her and see close up just how she was doing it.

And then after completing each of the dishes she gave us a large sample of the finished product. It was perhaps the best Gumbo, Etouffee, and Bread Pudding I've ever eaten. And since the class only cost $30.00
I figure that after eating all that wonderful food, I got the cooking class for free.

Thank you Nita and Jamie......And I will be back the next time I visit NOLA.

Bob and Wally,Georgia and Savannah...

Visited March 2012
2 Thank snowpro

Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun way to get acquainted with local cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

The demonstration was fun, informative, and easy to fit into our vacation. The class started at 10am and lasted a couple hours, we did this before catching our flight that afternoon. The demonstrator also talked about regional influences on the dishes we learned to make, offering several possibilities beyond the recipes they gave us. Their gift shop offers all the local products used in the class which was very convenient.

A great way to spend the morning. And, the pralines were much better than the ones I picked up in the French Quarter. They live up to the hype.

2 Thank Magellan26
Antioch, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Come to New Orleans for the food, come to Crescent City Cooks and learn how to cook at home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Took the demonstration. Lass with the owner as our chef had a great time. Learn some tips for Gumbo, helped to make the étouffée (scrapping that pot for that "gradoux") was my favorite tip. The bread pudding was great and I never liked bread pudding before. The food origins and history lesson was just a lil lagniappe. It was great class with great recipes. Only problem she wouldn't give up the family recipe for the pralines! Man those were good!

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Abjamesjd
Mount Holly, New Jersey
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“SO SO”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Thought we would get to cook but it was just a demo. Also asked if she had any discounts (AAA, etc..), she replied only for the military. The next day we saw a discount coupon in the hotels travel guide. I hate liars!!!

Would I do it again, NO!!! I'd watch the food network and save the $60 for Acme Oyster House!!!

Visited February 2012
3 Thank George O
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“so much fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I loved learning how to cook some traditional creole food, and of course eating it!

Visited September 2011