“Jazz Fest” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #99 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
NYC
“Jazz Fest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stayed at the Wyndham Garden Barone for six nights for Jazz Fest.. Hotel was very accommodating. Friendly staff. Good Location, one block from Canal St where you can catch the trolley car on the opposite side of Canal from Bourbon St. (3 blocks away.)
Bed was extremely comfortable. Large room, water and coffee maker in the room.
Would consider staying here on our next visit.
CVS and Walgreens very close. ONe block from the St Charles Streetcar too.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a window facing the street so we had no idea if it was raining or not.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful review! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Thai first
New Orleans
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Great location for Jazz Fest and access to French Quarter, and primary tourist attractions. Very quiet. We were given poor advice by the booking desk. We were put in an "atrium" room and told it was preferable to street facing rooms with windows----not so. Atrium rooms are the equivalent to living in a cave.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Gretchen H
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your post recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important. Even though your stay was not 100% satisfactory, please know we value your business and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Please contact us at 504-522-0083 if you have any further questions or comments.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Besides the fact that there was no window except to the atrium, our room and one of our friends rooms had a horrible, moldy, stench. We both used anti microbial Febreeze which helped a little but every time we reentered the room the stench hit us. It was really unbearable. The hotel said they could not change our room because it was during Jazzfest and they were fully booked. That said, the Wyndham beds are the best in the hotel business. I would avoid this hotel.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan O
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Susan O,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important. Would you be so kind to contact us and let us know which room you were staying in so we can forward these issues to our Housekeeping and Maintenance Department? We hope to see you again so please do not hesitate to contact us (504-522-0083).

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Great Location - 1 block west of Canal Street and 1 block north of Bourbon Street. Parking garage in basement. Modern, clean, and quiet. Great value too. Could not have asked for a better centrally located hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mljohn
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

We stayed at the hotel last weekend, Aug. 25-29. I woke up the second morning of our stay with bug bites covering my arms, face, back and legs. After spending some time online researching bed bug bites and comparing them to mine, these were no doubt bed bug bites -- painfully itchy and in rows of three all over my body. We alerted the front desk and they moved us into another room.

I've worked in the hotel/travel industry for ten years and understand that sometimes these things happen. We were very calm and polite with the hotel staff about the issue and the general manager said he would contact Orbitz about a refund.

Later on that day I thought I had left my phone charger in the infested room. I asked the front desk if I could go in the room and grab it but they told me new guests had been checked in to that room. I couldn't believe that the hotel would knowingly place guests in a room with bed bug problems -- especially on the same day we made a complaint.

Upon returning home, I contacted the general manager to inquire about the refund. He said the best they could do is comp me for one night. Ridiculous. Bed bugs are a major headache and can be very expensive to exterminate if they hitch a ride back home with you in your luggage. I spent an entire day thoroughly washing all of our clothes and we decided to pitch our luggage as we don't want to risk having the bugs in our home.

I asked the GM why they placed other guests in the bed bug room on the same day we made the complaint. Apparently an exterminator came that day and sprayed a chemical that allows the hotel to flip a room in four hours. Seriously??? Disgusting.

I requested a full refund at this point. He again insisted the best he could do was refund one night. He also said that the exterminator was an additional cost to the hotel so they would be unable to spend any more money giving me a refund. Such a bizarre conversation, as if it was my fault or problem the hotel had to bring in an exterminator.

I contacted Wyndham corporate about the issue as the GM obviously didn't understand how to handle it. The response from Wyndham was that the Wyndham Garden Baronne was a franchised property so not Wyndham's problem. They passed my complaint on to the franchise owner. It has been four days and I haven't heard anything from them. Unacceptable.

I didn't want to go down this Tripadvisor route, but here we are...

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank june80
Dear june80,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear your stay was not 100% satisfactory . As with any report of suspected bed bugs in a guest's room, we do take them very seriously. After thoroughly researching this incident, we did in fact move you to another room and immediately contacted our local pest control services. Upon inspection, the pest control inspector informed us he found no signs of bed bugs (with documentation on record). Even with that being the case, a one night refund was issued as an apology for the inconvenience. In addition, we do offer guests the option to check-out early (without penalty) in the event they do not wish to continue staying at our property, for your comfort and satisfaction is very important to us.

Since this incident, our local pest control inspector did return back to our property to re-inspect the room (as well as the rooms next door and above) and again, found no signs of bed bugs. In addition, we have not received any further report or complaints and will continue to take immediate action in the event another case is reported again. Feel free to contact our management team if you have any further questions regarding this issue.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband and I came to New OrIeans for the Ironman 70.3 Triathlon on April 22. I used Priceline to to put a bid in for a hotel downtown and it was accepted at the Wyndham Garden. I did some research and was pleasantly excited to see that this was a unique building with a lot of character. It also eased my mind that it had gotten a lot of good reviews. I also saw that if you wanted a room with an outside window, you had to ask. Otherwise you may get one with a window to the inside.
Check in was quick and the clerk was very pleasant and helpful. I had requested an outside window room with a king bed, but had gotten a double. This was not a real issue for us, and as I noticed later on, almost all of the rooms with outside windows were double beds, so it's possible that they may all be that way.
We made our way up to the room on the 2nd floor. We were happy to see that the room was larger than what were expecting. There was plenty of storage space, including a bench with drawers under it, a small cabinet, and a very large cabinet for hanging up clothes and storing shoes. This was very handy as we had a lot of triathlon gear and clothing for our 4 night stay. There was ample space for his bike and bike box and everything had a place and we did not feel cluttered or crowded in.
The bathrooms were nice and modern with a lot of room to put our toiletries. The shower pressure was great and took only a few seconds to get hot water.
The beds are indeed some of the best and most comfortable in any hotel we have stayed in (have also heard that from other reviewers and yes, it is true).
The free WIFI was super fast, and I never had a problem connecting.
The room was very clean and we did not find any problems with it at all.
The hotel is also within great walking distance to downtown and Bourbon Street. There is only a small cafe on site, and I highly recommend going to the nearby Streetcar Cafe. Had a nice breakfast there and the owner is very friendly and knowledgeable about events in the city. Also if you are craving good Cajun food, try Sammy's on Bourbon Street. We ate there 3 times and were never dissatisfied!
The only downside is the self parking. It is limited and only smaller vehicles can fit,
When we come back to New Orleans, we will definitely stay here!

Room Tip: It may be that all rooms with an outside view are double beds. Have not seen one that had a king in...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrownSquirrel77
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review and selecting our hotel during your stay in New Orleans for this event! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

We had a LOT of bags, and while still unpacking our ride at the front door we looked up to find helpful hands grabbing bags and putting them on a luggage cart. THANK YOU. The lobby is fabulous; sparkling clean, bright, shiny - I love Art Deco. Until I just read it here, I didn't realize the building had been a department store at one time - great, creative reuse of the space. The front desk was friendly, professional and looking sharp. The nice guy with our luggage waited with us to check in and we all went together up to the room, no waiting for luggage to appear. Our king room was not spacious, but it was certainly large enough, clean, cozy, and very comfortable (the bed was particularly nice). We didn't have an outside window, but our 3rd floor interior window over looked the 5 story open space rather than having a foot traffic path right outside our window so it was fine.

We tried to book a room the day before our arrival but there was no availability (I didn't book another hotel because when I saw the pix and read the reviews of this place, that's where I wanted to stay). We tried again the next morning before we headed that way (with or without a room reservation!) and were then successful. I mention because I assume based on that and seeing a good number of people milling about in the common areas, that the hotel was pretty full up yet we had no noise problems. Perfect location, short walk to Harrah's, Bourbon Street, shopping, and many restaurants. As importantly, we were also just far enough away from Bourbon Street.

My husband met me down in the lobby the next morning for a short walk to IHOP (also very clean) and declared this hotel one worth making a trip back to (don't think I've heard that from him before!). We used the free wifi, and we often saw people using the business center off the lobby. No pool, but we didn't go to swim. I don't know if there was room service (so many places to eat right in this area that I didn't check in spite of my being a BIG fan of room service). We did not have a car (with this location we didn't need one for any of the things we wanted to do), so didn't need to deal with parking.

I thought the room was fairly priced for this area and location. I don't know how far it is from the airport, but it seemed to be less than a mile from the Amtrak station (which is also a Greyhound station). Thanks to this Wyndham hotel and Amtrak's "City of New Orleans", we had a great trip!

Room Tip: We had a 3rd floor room that over looked the 1st to 5th floor open atrium, rather than a traffic pat...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gail K
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, 29 April 2012