“An honest, objective review of Harrah's New Orleans”

Harrah's New Orleans
Ranked #11 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Over the past couple of years, I've stayed at Harrahs New Orleans probably a half dozen times. I've also stayed at most of the surrounding hotels as well (Hilton, Marriott, Westin, Wyndham).

First, the Harrah's hotel itself....it's one of the 'newer' hotels in the immediate area. Check-in has always been a breeze. I've never been there when there was more than one person ahead of me in the check-in line. The front desk has always been friendly and helpful.

The rooms are fairly good sized, the beds are very comfortable. The bathrooms are large, with a soaking tub, a seperate shower and private toilet. The rooms have always been clean, and I never had any problems with housekeeping.

The hotel is fairly quiet. You still have the train....but that's true at all the area hotels. If you're a really light sleeper, you may want to ask for a 'city view', which will put you on the oppisite side of the hotel from the train tracks. The noise is less noticeable at Harrahs than at the other area hotels I've stayed in (particularily the Wyndham.....the train is right next to their rooms).

If you're lucky enough to get one of the 'corner rooms', you get a larger room (seperate bedroom), and a nice view. From my experience, unless you're a really 'high roller', your best chance at a corner room comes during a mid-week stay. But, I've never had a bad room during any stay.

Any 'cons' with the hotel?....the elevators....Harrahs has a 'key' system in the elevators...and while this is a plus for security, it seems to me that it's always a bit 'flaky'. I always have to try my key 3-4 times before I get a 'green' light. Not really a complaint, just a nuisance at times.

The hotel itself is 'small', so they don't have a lot of 'services'. There's no spa (although you can request to one at another hotel, Lowes, I believe....but it's in another building). The gym is small, but it's hardly ever used (at least during my experiences).

Parking.......Typical New Orleans parking, or lack thereof. If you plan on parking a car, plan on a little aggrevation. The options you have are....Valet at the hotel (think it's about $30/day), or you can self park at the garage next door. The self parking costs around $20/day, but if you gamble for 30 mins, you can get your parking validated (or if you're a Diamond Rewards member, you can park for 'free' in the self park.....not in the hotel valet). Be forewarned, if you there on the weekend, the parking garage fills up quickly! A car isn't a necessity, as everything is within a nice walking distance of the hotel.

The casino.....it's fairly large. Although they have plenty of slots, they do get crowded on the weekends. The same for the tables. Never had any big wins on the slots there. The table games are plentiful, with a good variety of games, but, again, on the weekends they are crowded, and you're not likely to find any $10 tables. The poker room is decent sized. They always seem to have a variety of levels. The casino can be fun, but if this is first trip to New Orleans, don't spend too much time in the casino!

The buffet .......I've been to almost all of the Harrah's properties around the country, and to several other casino's (buffet's) in NV.....and I would rank the New Orleans one as somewhere near the bottom. But, if you're in New Orleans, there's too many other places to eat, than a buffet. I did find the breakfast to be decent. But would recommend other places to eat.....go down to Cafe du Monde.

Other restaurants in the casino....again, there's too many other choices, so I haven't tried all the ones in the casino. But if you like sweet iced tea, go to the McAllisters deli in the front part of the casino (you have to be a southener probably to like sweet tea...lol). They also make a great club sandwich.

Make sure you go to 'Mothers' while you're in N.O. It's located just up the street, to your left when you come out of the hotel (about a block and a half away). They have the most authentic (and delicious) N.O. and Southern cooking of anywhere downtown (in my humble opinion). But, plan to go 'off peak' hours, unless you want to stand in line. Everyone else knows it's good too! Some of the best 'etoufee' I've ever had.

I will be returning to Harrahs at the end of Feb (right before Mardi Gras), and would recommend the hotel without hesitation.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank Thomsarg

Reviewed 4 January 2011

Went to New Orleans after Christmas to scout some hotels for our Family Reunion coming up in July. Ended up staying at Harrah's because my mom got a comped room.

To start off parking is steep ($30 something dollars) , however if you play atleast 30 minutes on your Total Rewards Card you get 24hours of parking for free in the casino's parking garage (self park). We stayed Monday-Wednesday and didn't pay one penny for parking. Another thing one should note is that Harrah's Casino and Harrah's hotel are not one in the same. They are actually across the street from each other. However, there is a nice covered walkway/tunnel that connects the two.

The hotel's location is great. Steps away from the Riverwalk, the Aquarium and the French Quarters. You are in prime walking distances for many activities. The room itself was very nice and equipped with a large tv and mini fridge. There was even a doorbell for each room and an electric indicator to press if you did not want to be disturubed of if you need housekeeping. My favorite part of the room was the bathroom. It was HUGE! Walk in shower, separate tub big enough for two people. Lastly, the toilet was separated by a door from the rest of the bathroom.

Housekeeping was very attentive along with the other staff. Many times when I came and left I was greeted by someone at the front door and the bellmen were very helpful when trying to hail taxis.

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel, but we did eat at the buffet in the casino. It was okay, not the best but not terrible either. My mother and her friend visited Steak and Bamboo (I believe that was the name of it), they were not impressed with the food and stated that the hostess was very rude because they did not have a reservation. We also ate at McCalisters in the casino. The food tasted nothing like the McCalisters I have been to. In addition, I had to send my 'sweet' tea back because clearly it was unsweetened. When they gave me another one, still no luck so I just gave up.
All in all a great hotel, prime location. Though, I would venture out for food.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank Court18
Reviewed 26 December 2010

i would like recommend this hotel... the staff with very helpful and what a town... just can't wait to go back...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank 55chicos
Reviewed 24 December 2010

I have stayed here 3 times and this place is great. I get free rooms so I can't complain about the price. Besh steakhouse is really good, best filet i ever had. Yes they are expensive but most of the top level restaurants are.
Rooms are very nice with great bedding.
If you do gamble make sure you grab a total rewards player card. This card gets you comps for your play and free or reduced rooms at all of the harrah's properties. The staff was always polite and helpfull. I am heading back down in January can't wait.
Jeff C.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daginty
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Stayed a few days in October at Harrah's New Orleans. Should have done more checking. This hotel needs an over haul. The rooms are small and need to be remodeled. They are dark and ugly. The service of housing keeping is poor. I called for two towels at 3:00 on a Saturday afternoon and they did not arrive until 6:37 after I called four times. There is no pool (inside or outside). Small lobby - Ruth Chris is decent rest. on property. Besh Steak is expensive for the quality of food. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it a 6.5. We had breakfast at the buffet. Please find somewhere else to eat. I suggest Mamma's about 2 block away. Also there is a fun seafood place called the Crazy Lobster across the street on the water that has great seafood. They do serve steaks, hamberrgers etc. but great seafood. We had a bucket and it was fab.

Checked out Lowes and Westin when I was there. Now I know where to stay.

The casino is ok - you don't win on the slots. I did not see anyone win on slots. The table games seemed to win more.

I stayed in a lot of hotels all over the Carribean and US and Harrah's New Orleans is just not good.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Very pleasant stay and we have both travelled ito many destinations. Fast efficient check in and check out; bravo- great job!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Check in went smoothly. Room was ready when promised and was clean and bright. Linens in order. We were on the 24th floor so traffice, sirens, trains etc were not too noticable! Great views of the river and downtown! Absolutely great beds to sleep in!
Besh Steak is really good! Buffet superb as well!
Casino a little tight...but who isin't right now?

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple