“Unforgettable dining experience ”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #35 of 2,024 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

Reserved a table for two through pur hotel concierge. Were seated at a very nice table for two upstairs. Service was impeccable at all times. Food was spectacular and in appropriate quantities. Highly recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,959)

Reviewed 17 November 2017

Oh. My. The food was the best we had on our 5 day trip to NOLA. A spur of the moment decision literally an hour before we were due to leave for the airport. Luckily they had room for our party of 4 at Lunch. Our waiter ensured we could have the legendary turtle soup and a main course as well as 3 x 25 cent martinis (take the blue ones!) within the hour. Our waiter was great - attentive and humorous (he made a great John Bercow impression!). On arrival let them know you need to be in and out quickly. Taxi stand outside for easy transportation.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

Fantastic service and very personable musicians going from table to table. Our table was in a nice air conditioned room overlooking the garden/patio. It was unseasonably HOT (90's) and it was great to be cool, but have natural light. I suggest calling to be sure you understand the various room options and availability. I had the Soups 1-1-1 (Gumbo, Turtle, & Soup du Jour) to start and the Curried Shrimp as an entrée. My wife had a beautiful salad and the Gulf Fish. For dessert, naturally I ordered in advance, the Creole Bread Pudding Soufflé. My wife had a fantastic sorbet. The owner came by our table near the end of our meal. She was very nice. I told her that I lived almost across the street in the 60's, but she was obviously younger than me and did not relate to being able to come in the back kitchen door just for turtle soup. Maybe not the best food in New Orleans, but very good, and the overall experience was wonderful.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

How can I explain it? The entrees arrived well over 2 hours after we were seated and after 2 other parties in the room seated after us were done and left. We are fine with a leisurely meal, but our waiter Argyle was gone. We were ready to leave if we could have found someone to bring us the check, but the food arrived. Nothing special at that point. There are so many other excellent restaurants in New Orleans, the Palace is one to skip. The same owner of this restaurant has a new sister restaurant Sobou in the French Quarter that I do recommend for new presentations of local ingredients with small plates, and excellent service.

1  Thank TravelForFood11
Sam F, Community Manager at Commander's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Dear TravelForFood11:

Thank you for taking the time to visit Commander's Palace and to review us. We really appreciate it! We take all guest comments very seriously and will do the same with yours. I am so sorry to hear that your food took too long and that you were not satisfied with your experience. We aim to offer the best dining experience in the city and I'm sorry that we failed to wow you.
I hope you'll give us another chance on your next visit to New Orleans. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further comments or suggestions. Again, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not great at Commander's Palace. Thank you for the feedback.
Sam Fritz, Community Manager of The Commander's Family of Restaurants

Reviewed 17 November 2017

Best place for a daytime birthday celebration! Call for the reservation and do dress up a bit for this is refined and respectable place where they take the mantra- Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies & Gentlemen to heart.

AS the 30th year approached one of my youthful companions, her erstwhile husband indicated that day drinking should on our agenda. THe $.25 Martini (limit 3 as they are southern strength- meaning powerful) was just the ticket.
THe Turtle Soup was amazing as was the grilled Shrimp so much so that my companions gave me extra credit points for delivering them to this fine establishment and insisting on wearing sport coats. The AC is set to Canada Summer levels (sub 40') so ladies do prepare for a slight chill in the air.
Again to the cocktails, I had a wonderful pair of House French 75's that had a basil leaf garnish which were delightful and Antoine our Main Server was frighteningly fast on their near spontaneous regeneration. THese drinks made for an entertaining afternoon as the birthday girl was truly happy and started to have errant ideas of philosophy. THey were quickly grounded by her husband's unusually deliberate insistence on informing his wife that she was a beautiful redhead to which she profusely denied. It was the poignant phrase "your hairbrush looks like it lost a fight with a wild orangoutang as their is so much red hair in that that thing..." that made me instantly appreciate this gentleman's company much more.
Entree that were both artistically fabulous and incredibly tasty that we had were the Seared Shrimp with Chilies, Veal with truffled Mashed potatoes and the Angus Filet with Asparagus.
Thankfully, the server jubilantly informed us of the Bread Pudding Souffle dessert option in advance so we had that as well as a celebatory dessert from the house. Their were ballons present on the table (advance notice required for these btw); however, they were of air and not helium as we were told of the Helium pricing scandal of a few years back so we could not perform the chipmunks impersonation on the delightful occasion.
Please do go here (also see their new movie on their origin- fascinating!) and appreciate the refinement and elegance that is missing in many of our finer dining establishments these days.