“Great service, and the butternut shrimp bisque is DIVINE!”

Brigtsen's Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 2,105 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed March 26, 2015

My husband and I recently went here for a date night, and it was a great choice! The dress code is a bit nicer, so it gave us the opportunity to dress up :) (Not overly fancy though--I went with a standard black dress and heels.) I had the rabbit tenderloin appetizer (yummy) with the tilapia entree (very light and fresh, and the potatoes and white asparagus went with it super-well!), and my husband had the butternut shrimp bisque (AMAZING, and I don't even care for shrimp bisque that much) and the cochon du lait (good, but a bit heavier, so not really my taste). We both finished up with the banana bread pudding. The waitstaff are very attentive, the atmosphere is great, and Chef Frank makes it a point to come by and speak to everyone. Great for special occasions!

1  Thank Laura M

Reviewed March 22, 2015

We seldom eat at the pricier restaurants in our city - there are simply so many in our price range. We do, however visit some of the more exclusive ones and finally made it to Brigtsen's last weekend. We will never take guests anywhere else for a special meal. There were 4 of us and we ordered 4 different meals and each of us thought we had the best. Even the sides were delicious. All of us chose the pecan pie for dessert and it was as excellent as everything else. It's my new favorite restaurant.

2  Thank Madelyn E
Reviewed March 19, 2015

Brigtsen's is THE restaurant I always make of point of visiting when I'm in NOLA. Do be prepared to take a long cab ride to and from the Quarter if you're staying in town. I assure you it's worth it. Brigtsen's is one of the compelling reasons to go to New Orleans in the first place. In the twenty or more meals I've eaten there over the years, I've never had a bad meal and most were absolutely phenomenal. Franks is the only person on the planet who can take a dish as simple as mashed potatoes and turn it into a delicacy. Seriously. Try the place. You'll love it.

The only thing better than the food here is the service. The restaurant is located in a quaint house in the Riverbend and everything about the place is friendly and homy in a very Old South homy way. The restaurant is run by Chef Frank Brigtsen, his wife Marna and her two sisters Rhonda and Sandra. Frank came up under Paul Prudhomme, eventually becoming lead chef at K-Paul before setting out on his own (with Prudhomme's encouragement) nearly thirty years ago. These days Frank is recognized as a singular talent in the culinary landscape of New Orleans. He's passionate about his craft and he's surrounded himself with a spectacular staff

HIGHLY recommended!

1  Thank popawoody
Reviewed March 18, 2015

Brigtsen's is in a little cottage in a quiet area of New Orleans. The owner is wonderful and very friendly! You can tell lots of locals go there. The food was also fantastic. My mother had speckled trout breaded with pecans and she's still talking about it.

1  Thank eln333
Reviewed March 17, 2015

Had the seafood platter as usual and as far as I am concerned it is great with great variety -not fried-a mixed of both items and tastes-I honestly should but will not try something else. Then the finish -every body has bread pudding but here the banana bread pudding is awesome