“Average at best”

Gumbo Shop
Ranked #172 of 2,124 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Established in 1948, The Award Winning Gumbo Shop features a wide range of New Orleans cuisine at its finest. Enjoy fantastic customer service and great food. Patrons are also welcome to order from our full wine list including 30 Wines by the Glass.Gumbo Shop is located at 630 St. Peters Street, 1/2 block from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. As the name implies, gumbo is a fixture on the menu, but our menu also features Creole and Cajun inspired dishes that represent New Orleans' truly unique cuisine. Gumbo Shop was founded in 1948 in a former French Quarter home built in the late 1700's. The building represents a typical French Quarter layout with central courtyard and former kitchen in the rear. For the past 20 consecutive years, Gumbo Shop has received the "Best of New Orleans" best place to eat gumbo from Gambit, a local publication that relies on reader polls to determine the winners in all categories.
Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Don't let the long lines fool you, this place is just average. I can make better gumbo at home. I was so unimpressed and disappointed due to the long lines and the tour guide recommendation. It may be time to update the menu as I would not go back. Local told me a 'general rule' is don't eat in any of the tourist areas to eat in the arts district or warehouse district; that's where the good stuff is for New Orleans. But, do try Ruby Slipper Cafe for breakfast.

1  Thank Denesha M
Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2018

We appreciate you giving us a try, Denesha, but it's upsetting to know we didn't win you over. In the future, if there are any specific concerns about your meal, please don't hesitate to let us know -- we're happy to do what we can to serve you the perfect dish. I hope you'll consider trying some of our other items in the future.

Best regards,
Gaylin McAllister, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,926)

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

This quaint restaurant was the best restaurant I ate at in New Orleans. We sat outside in the garden patio which made the experience even more fun. The gumbo was absolutely amazing. Delicious, and filling. We had the seafood gumbo and the chicken gumbo. Both were outstanding. Prices are extremely reasonable. When in New Orleans this restaurant is a must. HIGHLY recommend.

I'm excited that we served some of the best food you had while in town -- thanks for sharing such a high recommendation! We'll be looking forward to serving you another delicious dish of gumbo next time.

All the best,

Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stop here for lunch every time we visit New Orleans. The setting, style, and food are unbeatable! Plus the turtle soup is to die for!

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

It's always a pleasure to welcome the two of you back to New Orleans, CheyAnne. Thanks for making us a regular stop! I hope your next visit will be sometime soon.

Yours,

Reviewed September 7, 2018

We found the food and drinks here to be wonderful. We went in the late afternoon, so it was easy to get seated and not noisy or too busy.

This is wonderful to hear! Thanks so much for sharing that you enjoyed your visit. I hope we'll see you in again sometime soon.

All the best,

Reviewed September 5, 2018

My husband and I just ate at dinner at the Gumbo Shop on Labor Day. We were greeted promptly, and only had to wait a couple minutes for a table. Our waiter was friendly and efficient and took our drink orders. I ordered a red sangria, and my husband ordered an old fashioned. The sangria was pretty good. The Old fashioned was apparently the worst my husband has ever had. Pure sugar. For our meals, I ordered a roast beef po-boy (I am not a big sea food person) and my husband ordered the sampler platter. Our waiter brought out some warm bread and butter for us to enjoy before the meal. It was good! About 15 minutes later he comes to me and says I am sorry but we can't make your po-boy because we don't have enough bread. What? You just put a 'loaf' of bread on my table that would have been perfectly good to use as the bread on a po-boy. I ask about this and am told that they only have bread for the tables, but not enough for po-boys. I have been eating sea food for days and as I am not a fan I opt to eat nothing (except for the bread on the table). 30 seconds later my husbands food arrives, and according to him it is fine, but not amazing. He is not sure why the place is so highly rated. Sarcastically/jokingly I say to my husband ' wouldn't it be funny if I ask for another loaf of bread', (knowing that they are apparently short on bread) and before the words where even out of my mouth there is another loaf of bread dropped off at the table. What? You can give us two loaves of bread that I am not paying for but cannot make me the roast beef po-boy I was willing to pay you money for? This makes absolutely NO business or customer service sense to me at all! We will not return to this establishment. The bad drink, the me'h food and the inability to make my meal have made this decision for us.

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2018

This is truly disappointing to see -- while it sounds like you enjoyed a sangria with us, I understand the disappointment that the po-boy wasn't available. We do our best to keep everything stocked, but I'd like to apologize that this wasn't the case while you were here. We offer a loaf of bread to every table, and while I understand your suggestion, this isn't the same bread we typically use for po-boys. I do hope we'll have another chance to show you what we're capable of.

Best regards,