“Best Meal We’ve Had”

Gumbo Shop
Ranked #172 of 2,124 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Established in 1948, The Award Winning Gumbo Shop features a wide range of New Orleans cuisine at its finest. Enjoy fantastic customer service and great food. Patrons are also welcome to order from our full wine list including 30 Wines by the Glass.Gumbo Shop is located at 630 St. Peters Street, 1/2 block from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. As the name implies, gumbo is a fixture on the menu, but our menu also features Creole and Cajun inspired dishes that represent New Orleans' truly unique cuisine. Gumbo Shop was founded in 1948 in a former French Quarter home built in the late 1700's. The building represents a typical French Quarter layout with central courtyard and former kitchen in the rear. For the past 20 consecutive years, Gumbo Shop has received the "Best of New Orleans" best place to eat gumbo from Gambit, a local publication that relies on reader polls to determine the winners in all categories.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Delicious, delicious gumbo.

Like any good tourists, we’ve basically eaten our way through this town and this was the best meal so far.

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

There's a lot of good food here, Micah, so it's kind of you to share that we were the best. Thank you for this! Can't wait to invite you back again.

Have a good one,
Gaylin McAllister, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,926)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Two Words: Crawfish Etouffee. The best I've ever had. Ordered the Complete Creole Dinner and chose the crawfish for my entree. Best decision since arriving in New Orleans.

We had a 20 minute wait but it went by quickly as we talked with others waiting in line.

I usually don't care for bread pudding, but this was such a tasty dessert it made me question why I didn't care for it in the first place.

Can't wait to visit New Orleans again.

We can't wait for your return trip either, Daniel, because it sounds like we'll be seeing you again! I'm thrilled to know you made some of your best decisions with us -- including trying something you didn't think you'd love. I'm glad you so enjoyed the crawfish etouffee and dessert! See you again real soon.

Until then,

Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

The food was amazing... I had the corn and lobster bisque as well as the chicken gumbo, my friend had the crawfish... we finished with bread pudding for dessert as well as a few of the creole cosmopolitans each! Keri was an amazing server—attentive to all of our needs (shrimp allergy among them), had wonderful recommendations, and was cheery and bright! We will definitely be back next time we visit New Orleans!

Anya, it's amazing to hear the corn and lobster bisque won you over! It sounds like we impressed you with a few of our dishes, actually, and I'm excited to know that. Thanks so much for a wonderful review. Can't wait til your next visit.

Until then,

Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed a late lunch at this restaurant. We each had different entrees, ranging from rice, beans and sausage platters to several different kinds of gumbo and jambalaya, all delicious.

I'm happy you were able to try a few of our dishes, Jane, and it's even better that nothing let you down. Thanks for this shoutout! We'll be looking forward to having you in again next time.

Have a good one,

Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

I ate at the gum shop 3 times in one week it was that good!

The line up at dinner and lunch can be long so the trick is to go a bit early and no problem. Service is real speedy and the staff were very courteous.

My wife had ate here many times before and was excited to share the spot with me.

The combo platter was excellent as is the chicken gumbo.

They serve fresh, warm bread with your meal which puts it over the top.

The courtyard is cool and a great spot to sit if not too busy.

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2018

I'm thrilled to know our food kept you coming back for more, Scott! And it sounds like you're an expert when it comes to our place -- thanks so much for a great recommendation. We can't wait to see you here again sometime soon.

Yours,