“Best Pastrami I've ever had.”
Review of Cafe Maspero

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Reviewed March 25, 2016

The service isn't too great, but the food is great. I got the Pastrami on the roll (not the po-boy bread) and it was so fabulous I want to go back for another. It's very good, but probably not worth waiting in line, which we saw as we were leaving.

Thomas B, Area Director at Cafe Maspero, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2016

Cyn
Thank you for the great review on Tripadvisor. Of course its worth waiting in line. Why do you think theres a line? Seriously though, we appreciate your comments and look forward to having you join us again in the future.
Sincerely
Creole Cuisine Restaurant Concepts

Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed March 23, 2016 via mobile

Came here for lunch, it was busy so I guessed it would be great. I got the roast beef sandwich, with red beans and rice on the side. They have big portions. The sandwich was messy and was not that flavorful and bland. I needed to add tons of salt, same with the French fries that my friend ordered. But they weren't hot enough for the salt to stick. I was excited to eat the red beans& rice. Yuck super salad in NM makes it better. No sausage it was like eating pinto beans with some rice thrown in. If I return to NOLA I will not ever come to this place again.

1  Thank ValerieG7
Thomas B, Area Director at Cafe Maspero, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2016

Valerie,
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your visit to Café Maspero and I have shared your comments with my kitchen manager and staff. We do hope you give us another opportunity in the future to win you over. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 22, 2016

The Manager (male) was an embarrassment and the waitress was afraid to face up to her mistake. What initially started out as descent customer service with the waitress, ended up with us being chased down Decatur St. by the manager, the waitress and some unknown staff person, like we were criminals. The manager flagged down the state trooper to stop us for not paying our total bill. So, what happened? My family and I are here on spring break vacation and we were told Maspero was a good place to eat. First mistake--we stopped at "Cafe Maspero", not "Maspero". Second mistake--waitress brought me a seafood platter (with fries I requested to be substituted for gumbo instead, and she said "no problem"). Well, it was a problem. The fries were buried beneath my seafood platter, and were not noticed. I had to ask for my gumbo, as she seemed to have forgotten it. Third mistake--my family ate the fries, which turned out to be the big mistake. A descent manager/staff would have overlooked the fact that they goofed up the order--but not this crew. Fourth mistake--we assumed wrong. Fifth mistake--we were charged not only the full price for the platter, but also $5.50 for a full cup of gumbo AND another $4.00 for the substitution of the gumbo for the fries. That's a problem. We brought this to the waitress' attention, she then asked me did I receive fries. I told her yes. She then told me there was nothing she could do since I ate the fries. I asked her did she prefer that I had scooped up the fries to give to her once I noticed they were there? She said she'll see about correcting it and getting the manager. She came back with the same receipt, yet blaming me for eating fries they gave, we again asked for the manager. She came back for the 3rd time with only the $4.00 upcharge removed, while I was charged for a full cup of gumbo. They should have removed the $5.50 and charged the $4 upcharge (but she didn't inform me there would be an upcharge--I was told "no problem"). My mother waved for the manager to come over, but instead he pointed at the waitress, but my mother again waved for him to come over. He didn't. Instead, he decided to sit down to eat his dinner! We were frustrated, tired and felt very disrespected. So, we took matters into our own hands, we paid our $90+ bill in cash, subtracted the $5.50 from our bill, left no tip, gathered our things and left. How many times must we request for a manager to come speak to us to correct the wrong? As I stated earlier, as we walked down the sidewalk, the manager and his crew decided now they wanted to make a scene by stating we were stealing. He demanded we pay the $5.50 which State Trooper Nations sided with the restaurant. In the end we settled up $5 and decided to take this up with corporate and to let you all know how you can be treated as 2nd class citizens, especially if you are of a different race. Unfortunately, we felt racially discriminated in the end. Shame on Cafe Maspero.

Thomas B, General Manager at Cafe Maspero, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2016

Ned,
I would like to personally apologize for the way this situation was handled. I actually arrived at the location immediately following the incident and wish I would have arrived a few minutes earlier. The way this situation was handled is not the way our company or managers have been trained to deal with this kind of incident. To begin with, the fault was ours from the beginning and it never should have escalated to the degree it did. We should have gotten the order correct from the beginning and resolved the issue by removing the charges from the check before you ever received the bill. I have counseled the manager as well as staff to make it clear where we dropped the ball. I cannot apologize enough for the embarrassment you and your family experienced being stopped and accused wrongly. You are absolutely correct, Shame on us. I do not know if you will receive this response before leaving our city but I would love to invite you to contact me personally to attempt to remedy this situation. Again, I apologize for the entire incident and wish I would have been faster to the scene. Thank you again. The phone number at the restaurant is 504-523-6250 or my email is thomasb@creolecuisine.com. If you would like to send me an email, I will give you my personal contact information.
Thomas W Burns
Area Director of Operations

Reviewed March 21, 2016 via mobile

By far the worst food in New Orleans. Pastrami sandwich dry and tasteless. Muffaletta was a sandwich piled with meat and little olives. Fried catfish sandwich was just okay a little greasy which probably means the grease needs to be changed. With so many awesome places to eat, avoid this one.

Barb
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I do hate to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Café Maspero, especially after we came recommended by the buggy drivers. It is difficult to get their endorsement so I hope this was an isolated experience. I have shared your comments with my management and staff so we can live up to the reputation we have. Thank you again for your comments and we do hope you give us another opportunity during a future visit to New Orleans.
Sincerely
Creole House Restaurant and Oyster Bar

Reviewed March 17, 2016 via mobile

My family stopped in here for dinner in our first night in New Orleans. There was a small wait but it wasn't long. The food was good, and the portions were good. The only thing I thought was odd was when a waitress dropped an entire tray of drinks which splashed on all of us and our table and no one came over to ask if we were ok or apologized.