“Cool place off the beaten path”

Liuzza's by the Track
Ranked #97 of 2,063 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: Fairgrounds
Description: Local flavor at it's best near the Fairgrounds! BBQ Shrimp poboys, Gumbo,Bloody Marys etc.
Reviewed April 28, 2017

After hearing from many people how good this place was I decided to give it a try. We took a cab from the Quarter it was about $12 each way. When we arrived a nice gentleman opened the door for us. It's a small neighborhood kinda place. You could tell these were mainly locals. I ordered the shrimp poboy & gumbo. The gumbo was great. It had a spicy roux with chicken, sausage, and shrimp which is a little different but it tasted really good. The shrimp poboy was good but not "the best in town". Overall I would go back but I'd drive, definitely not worth the extra money for a cab.

Reviewed April 2, 2017 via mobile

Crowded hole in the wall, getting it's name from the horse racing constantly on its wide screen.
Best gumbo, Po-boys (oyster or shrimp) and shrimp Remoulade we tasted anywhere. Of course there are plenty of beer choices.

Reviewed March 31, 2017

This placed reminded us of Wagner's Pharmacy next to Churchill Downs in Louisville. We have the Barbeque Shrimp Po-Boy, slaw, fries and schooner of beer and some ice tea. What a great authentic NOLA place. Must see and do!

Reviewed March 24, 2017

As a group of four, we wandered into a mostly empty dining area for an early dinner. The bar stools were full and obviously most knew each other. The locals and staff watch Jeopardy together over a beer, etc. Great fun.

I had a cup of gumbo - delish! and Shrimp Remoulade because I wanted shrimp, but not fried. My friends had fried entrees with fried shrimp and oysters which I sampled. All good, crisp, well-seasoned. Next time, I'll probably break my 'NO fried food' rule and go with them.

Reviewed March 15, 2017

It's an old school bar filled with locals so don't expect anything fancy here. We ordered Gumbo and the shrimp Po-boy. The Gumbo arrived hot and delicous with just the right amount of heat and plenty of sausage and shrimp to ensure at least one of each with every spoonful. .......When I bit into my Po'Boy, the first words out of my mouth were "Oh my god, this is so freakin' good" I don't know what kind of sauce they put on their sandwiches or where they get that bread that manages to be crispy on the outside and soft in the center, but these things were the best food we had and we've been in NOLA for 3 days.