“Excellent Cajun food!! Close to the convention center ”

Mulate's New Orleans
Ranked #367 of 2,093 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I have eaten here three times over the past 10 years and I’ve been satisfied every time. The Cajun food is amazing. The jambalaya is my first recommendation. Also, Red beans and rice with sausage. Keylime pie. Bread pudding as well.
This is high quality great tasting New Orleans style food. The service was excellent as well. It’s a must and don’t worry about the lines. They are quick and efficient and can handle large crowds.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,280)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

We took 2 of our friends here for dinner the night before we left for a cruise. We had been here earlier that day but only had a beer because there was no music. When we returned that night there was a live band that was very good. We had the Smoked Oysters and Catfish Bites for an appetizer, and the stuffed Catfish Cecilla and Catfish Mulate for dinner. We shared all the food and everyone thought that everything was very good. Our friends who never dance even got up on the dance floor. Great food, Great music, and great friends. Can't find anything bad to say about this place.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

I was thoroughly impressed with this place. The food was excellent. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable and the ambiance was warm and down to earth. I would highly recommend it as a restaurant that serves flavourful local dishes while your feet are waltzing to traditional Cajun music.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

I took my 12 year old grandson to Mulate's to hear the Zydeco and to get something to eat. The zydeco was good but the food was only fair. Plus our waiter took the order for soft shell crab and assured us that he could leave the crab cake and the crawfish sauce off of the plate. Didn't happen and we never saw the waiter again after he brought the food until he brought the check. My crawfish etoufe was poor. (Brown gravy and crawfish). The worst was the drink I ordered (Dewer's over ice) was not right and tasted like cheap Scotch. I'm not a Scotch snob but even when I sent it back and got a replacement the drink was as bad as the first. When sipped all you could taste was raw alcohol. I was not charged for the drink which I only took a sip of but the experience left me dissatisfied.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

I thought that the atmosphere at this restaurant was better than the food and I had a grilled shrimp dish that was very good! There is ample accommodation for large parties. There was live Cajun music and both young (middle schoolers?) and old were on the dance floor strutting their stuff. A good place for a fun, festive evening that is not in the French Quarter (it's across from the Convention Center).