Best for: those wanting a reasonable, mid-range hotel in a prime New Orleans location (close to the French Quarter).
This was our 32nd hotel stay in five months travel across North America. We stayed six nights in a room with a king bed, for an average of $84/night (including tax), on the Carlson Family & Friends rate.
What’s good: Our room was on the fifth floor, tucked away from overlooking the foyer area, and with only 9 rooms on this floor we heard very little noise from the lobby that other reviewers note. Our room had a mini-fridge, microwave oven, coffee machine and flatscreen tv with usual selection of cable chanels.
Breakfast included in the rate was a great choice of the usual continental style along with a hot dish and fresh make-it-yourself waffles. The breakfast area can get quite busy and a little crowded. Coffee/tea and small snacks (fruit and nut bars) were available after hours near the bar. Free cookies available daily from the reception desk.
Washing machine and drier on 3rd floor for a small fee. Drink and ice machine also available. A small selection of grocery items are available next to reception.
There’s a small bar on ground floor that opens in the evenings. The large foyer with plenty of seating makes for a nice place to relax. And there's a small pool on ground floor though not used by us.
We saw no evidence of bed bugs in our room, had no problems with them either but noted two reports for this place on one of the bedbug registry websites.
In a first not seen anywhere else on our travels – the hotel places signs near elevators in the evenings, asking people to be quiet between the hours of 11pm – 7am. It’s unfortunate though that some people can’t read, but we love the idea of asking people to be considerate.
Minor annoyances: The room was very small and the window more a porthole – up high with no view or light, but we weren’t there for a view. Valet parking (outsourced to another provider) was quite expensive at $32 per night. Whilst we can’t be certain it was caused here (but with a high likelihood it was), our hire car was returned to us the next morning with a small dint in the rear bumper following its overnight stay here. I note they limit their liability on the valet parking voucher to $10, so best to inspect your car before and after it returns from valet.
Initially our mini-fridge and room safe were out of order, however both issues were resolved quickly once raised.
Staff service was efficient and attitude depended on the individual, but sometimes was a little aloof. As other guests have commented, the explanation of a fee if you smoke in your room was emphasised quite harshly. The hotel has obviously had problems with this in the past.
Whilst the bed was comfortable, our linen had some holes in it, and some rubbish from a previous guest remained next to our bin for the entire duration of our stay, so cleaning could be more attentive.
Nearby: The French Quarter is around three blocks walk. In the same street as the hotel you’ll also find several small convenience stores. Streetcars leave from two blocks away on Canal Street (St Charles Line). The start of Bourbon Street is around 6 blocks easy walk. Try Mother’s Restaurant (for great Louisiana style food) a few blocks away on Poydras Street, and the Palace Café on Canal Street for old-style qaintness.
Would stay again on the same room rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Currently closed for renovation and expansion; due to reopen in late 2017. With its home-like decor and plentiful amenities, the Country Inn & Suites, New Orleans French Quarter offers comfort and convenience in the heart of downtown New Orleans. Our historic hotel is comprised of seven 19th century buildings, giving it a charming, boutique feel that artfully blends old world charm with modern comforts. Our prime location on Magazine Street near the French Quarter places our guests close to many nearby New Orleans activities and attractions, including Bourbon Street and the Convention Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn & Suites New Orleans Hotel New Orleans
- Country Inn And Suites New Orleans
- Country Inn New Orleans
- New Orleans Country Inn