“All you could want in a Garden District hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Prytania Oaks Hotel
Ranked #109 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Rochester, NY
“All you could want in a Garden District hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

From start to finish an excellent stay. Very friendly and helpful staff at the desk. The room was large and airy with high ceilings and a ceiling fan the operated at jsut the right speed to cool the room. The A/C worked wonderful and the bed was perfectly firm for me.

The breakfast slthough not extravagant was more than ample and the breakfast area was neat and clean with hardwood flooring and and tables. The only drawback was the slight walk from the parking lot around the corner to the hotel.

It was the perfect location to begin a walk in the Garden district and even a walk to the Commander's Palace for lunch or dinner. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank lyellwood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Loved my room...it felt like I was in my own bedroom with a window terrace to the street. It wasn't a main street so the traffic wasn't too bad--and I was at meetings most of the day. Close to local eateries, and about 10 blocks from the French quarter. Its a nice walkable mile to the convention center.
Only downside is that I flew in late and didn't realize I had to check-in at the Prytania before going to my hotel. So I had to drag my luggage back and forth.
There is no elevator to get to the 2nd floor rooms--which was fine for me but for the physically challenged should be aware.
Lovely staff.

Room Tip: FIRST check-in at the Prytaina around the corner.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ellebb
Hamilton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We booked this on-line with never seeing it except for the pictures. The yellow building is the Oaks. And the gate in the front requires your room key to enter. We stayed for 6 days. Actually we were booked for 5 but got mixed up and showed up a day early. No Problem! They put us in the same room we'd reserved for our stay. Room 164 didn't have an internet signal so I spoke with the desk and we worked through it. They called the tech after they gave me an Ethernet cable and it failed. The tech guy fixed it and I stayed on the cable. It was fast and not a problem. We looked at moving to a different room but we liked the layout of 164. It had a lager vanity area in the bathroom and a tub/shower. Hey and the commode was maybe a handicap toilet because it sat higher. The 4 poster bed was very comfy, the armoire was large and the chest of drawers held a refrig and a microwave and coffee maker on top.
The Oaks is half a block from the morning breakfast but that wasn't a problem. They had yogurt, sweet rolls and cereal. Also juice, coffee and bagels. It wasn't lavish or hot but it was good for a start of the day.
We were 1 block away from the Mardi Gras parade route and really enjoyed the close proximity. We parked off the street in the Oaks lot.
The office staff was great at every opportunity. They offered ideas on eating and transportation. Our room was kept neat and tidy by the maid service. What's not to like!? We enjoyed the Prytania Oaks very much.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patsy A
Hotels3, Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest,

I want to Thank You for your kind words, and your paitence while we worked through the internet access issue. This prompted us to order in a 3rd access point with an amlified range to get thru the lathe and plaster walls. It is going live today.

We do hope your 45th Wedding Anniversary trip was a memorable one, and that you will always think of New Orleans, and us when you reminisce about your Special Day.

Fondly,
Dori H Schulman
Blton IN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is a mixed review based on one two-night experience of only one particular room. The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. These are always the most important to me. I would return, but expecting less and avoiding room 264. It didn't get internet signal, the room was too small for a reading chair, so I had to sit on the bed always if my husband was using the one desk chair. There was only one nightstand meaning my book and glasses had to go on the floor, and we slept with earplugs due to the cooler unit outside the window which cycled on and off all night. Cons have been written by many others. Getting to the hotel gate only to see a sign indicating that you will have to drag the luggage down the block and across two streets to check in at the sister hotel. That info should be emphasized on the reservation beforehand. We would have parked in the other hotel's lot for convenience during check in. Or rolling out of bed to find out no one is available to serve breakfast in the nice breakfast room on-site that has tables. Instead, you have to go to the other hotel where there is no place to sit down, so you juggle coffee, a roll, yogurt or cereal while standing or balance it all while walking across the streets and through the locked gate to your room. This has been written about so many times that it doesn't seem like an isolated incident. They need to get their staffing problems dealt with and open the breakfast room on a regular basis. It should be part of what we are paying more for at the Oaks. I had higher expectations (my fault) based on what people had written and due to the wording I read and heard from the hotel: "Garden District Collection of Fine Boutique Hotels." It is a collection of three but not a boutique hotel. It's not in the Garden District, but ten blocks away in an area sometimes called Lower Garden District. The two areas are very distinct.The Room Maintenance card states "engineering department." I saw a maintenance man. It's too bad the wording stretches the truth. I know the owner wrote on Trip Adviser to someone who had complained that "you get what you pay for" so I shouldn't have thought it was really in the Garden District for the price. It is a collection of three clean, nicely furnished little hotels at a price which is reasonable for New Orleans. That should be good enough.

Room Tip: If you read in bed, room 264 has only one nightstand. Also too small for a reading chair as in the p...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BRM47
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
I feel terrible these guests did not enjoy their stay. But I must correct some of her statements.

1. A quick reset of the router to that area of the hotel fixed this. There are 2 access points to connect to. One was stronger than the other. He was able to connect to 1 not the other. It moved slow as the traffic on the circuit was very heavy due to the fact we were full house for the Sugar Bowl, and many guests were online a great deal of their time when they were in the rooms.

2. We brought her in a 2nd chair without hesitation. We showed her there was plenty of space on the nightstand on her husband’s side of the bed for her book and glasses, OR she could have put them on the desk 3 feet from her side of the bed as well. She did not want to do either, as it was “inconvenient for her”. What she asked us to bring it for her use: a 2nd nightstand, and a floor lamp and comfy chair like she has at home near her side of the bed, so she can read before going to bed.

Guests tend to forget they are staying in a “older” home that was renovated into a boutiquesque hotel. The rooms tend to be a bit smaller than most “big box” hotel rooms, but you trade off for ambiance and exquisite red heart pine floors, 14’ ceilings, and the overall charm of staying in an 1840’s home, and not a cookie cutter “vanilla” room that looks like every other room on that high rise floor.

From her 2nd floor window, you look out and see about 100 feet away is the Chiller system. It is a Chiller system that cycles on and off, just like your home A/C does. It is the same mechanical sound you hear at home. Although I am not sure if this is the case or not, it is possible she was not used to is, as many homes in the Northern Midwest do not have A/C as it is not needed year round. She could be overly sensitive to this, or an extremely light sleeper. The fact that they both had “earplugs” makes me believe the latter.

3. She booked thru a 3rd party (one of the larger dot.coms), to where the “check in” instructions are listed at the bottom of her confirmation letter. It is in the “fine print” that most guests do not read. This is where they put all the pertinent information that you will need to know before checking in, but using a small font, no wonder guests do not read it all the way through. We know this is a problem with this company, but we can not alter the layout and format of their confirmation letter.

4. I am not sure when she is referring to about her having to go over to the other hotel for breakfast, simply because we did serve every day during their stay as it was an extremely busy week for us. This was the week of Sugar Bowl and BCS Championship bowl. It is possible that she missed the breakfast at the Oaks, and we told that the other might still be going and to walk over. Our breakfast staff will advise this to the late sleepers.

5. Nick Pick Semantics, so ok, let us talk about semantics at best. Yes, we are in The Lower Garden District, however, it is apart of the “Garden District” for all intensive purposes. The City Planners had to differentiate the two going way back in time when wealthy Plantation owners and the not so wealthy land grant owners were mapping out the area. The world renown “Garden District” starts 4 blocks away. I am not going to mince words over a 4 block variance, it is a Marketing tool we use, along with every other business in our area. One knows where the “Garden District” is, but no one knows where the “Lower Garden District” is.

6. The in-room maintenance card is labeled “ Room Maintenance ”. It states “Please help us maintain our room in the best condition possible, by reporting anything that might have been overlooked by our housekeeping or engineering departments. Is there is anything you notice that needs attention, please leave this at front desk so we can advise our engineering department” of any maintenance needed.

The term “Engineering” covers all areas of repair, from mechanical, to lightbulb replacement. The maintenance gentleman she is referring is apart of the team that makes up our “engineering” department. He is one of several who are on my staff.

Dori H Schulman
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I traveled to New Orleans to view a sailboat and wanted a nice hotel without spending a fortune. Reserved two rooms at the Prytania Oaks based on other travelers reviews. Was really concerned as we were driving to the property, but remembered another review that said the neighborhood a few blocks away was questionable, but it is New Orleans... When we reached the property, the neighborhood changed considerably to quiet, tree-lined European-style streets with lovely statues and gardens.

The room had incredibly high ceilings with solid, elegant wooden furniture and marble counters in the bathroom. Our room was in a separate building from the main lobby, but that was fine as we never had to go to the main desk. Never got the WiFi to work, but I carry a MiFi, so I didn't ask for help. The room was clean and very quiet. Never heard anybody else and had great nights' sleep.

Breakfast was served in a small garden house across a walkway. Only had coffee as the pastries were packaged and I don't eat waffles, although they looked good; there was a very nice woman making them to order and there were cherries and syrup to put on top. Otherwise, cold cereal and instant oatmeal and grits. I'm from the south; in some areas it's illegal to offer/eat instant grits ;-)

Turned out we had booked during Carnival (didn't know that going in...) and streets all around us were blocked off for the parades. Couldn't get taxis or the street cars, so walked to the French Quarter, which didn't take long at all. Not sure exactly how long it took because we were having so much fun taking in the sights and talking to people.

Great location, quiet, clean rooms, good price. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TheLadyEv
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed four nights at the Oaks in December, celebrating my husband's 60th birthday. Our room was lovely; clean, high ceilings, charming, fireplace. We liked it alot. The staff was helpful with touring suggestions. We had no difficulty walking a block to catch the streetcar. Great place for lunch or breakfast down the street: Blue Plate Cafe.
Only two complaints: Our room on the first floor had a pedestal sink in bathroom with no surface, and no shelf in room to put toiletries, and this was awkward. The other complaint was breakfast. It was served down the street at the Prytania Park hotel, in their very small lobby. The breakfast was quite meager. When we were there the options were cereal and hot cereal packets, juice, and coffee.There was no place to sit down other than outdoors at small tables in the 50 degree air. This was not very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank maxoss
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

I was in NOLA for work, staying in the loud, busting French Quarter. My first trip so I decided to stay on through the weekend and booked the Pyrtania Oaks based on Tripadvisor reviews. I am so glad I did. You wouldn't know what was in store when checking in around the corner- the Pyrtania/Terpsichore area is a bit run-down and off the beaten track. However once in my room at the Oaks, I was delighted. LOVELY room- large, with a comfortable 4-poster bed, hardwood floors, a fireplace, 12 foot ceilings and an incredibly efficient AC. The room was quiet, the location accessible to all NOLA has to offer, the staff helpful and friendly- and the price, amazing. I can't wait to return. This one is a real jewel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo