“Choice spot and good rooms ”

Prytania Oaks Hotel
Ranked #118 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Stayed here based on the whims of Hotwire and was very satisfied. There are three hotels that make up the complex and all are very close to each other. The area isn't very crowded or particularly exciting but you are just a quick street card ride to the more rowdy French Quarter and of course Bourbon St. area. The breakfast is humble here but that's not really the main draw and there are good breakfast spots right around the corner. If the price is right this hotel won't disappoint.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Prytania Oaks Hotel

Reviewed 16 April 2017

We arrived at the hotel in the early evening and were dropped off outside the Oaks, we did not know that we had to register at the Parks this was a little confusing at the time, however we soon got sorted. We stayed in room 161 (the one you can see in the photo, to the left of the arch) we had a friendly lizard for company who sat on the porch with us in the evening. This hotel is in a perfect location for the St Charles street car (however, you can walk into town in about 15 minutes) there are a number of bars and shops in the near vicinity to get food to eat in or take away, The main road outside the hotel is a little on the rural side but it makes for good entertainment when the fire engine goes by, In the trees there are families of squirrels, there is also a "Banksy" mural just round the corner, would recommend the Irish inn for a night out. The hotel itself is value for money and I have nothing but praise for the staff, the breakfast in the Oaks is, in my opinion, better than at the Parks as at the Oaks a lady makes really nice fresh waffles I would return to this hotel and I do recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Dori S, General Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Dear Bruno E,

Thank you for your kind comments. We do strive to make all our guests feel welcome and to offer a good value for their stay. I am sorry though for the confusion as to check in location. Now that you have seen our set up, you can understand why we have it as such. Do come back and see us again, and I hope you have a wonderful and bright Spring season. I remain, in best regards,

Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

I stayed here while attending a meeting at the Morial Center, which was within a couple miles walk. The hotel's location is in a quiet neighborhood near to a number of interesting restaurants in easy walking distance. The rooms are comfortable and there is good wireless coverage. The included breakfast was also good. It can be a bit of a challenge to recogize where the hotel office is relative to the rooms, which are distributed across a couple of buildings. If you are arriving later in the evening, I would suggest calling ahead to notify the staff and get clear instructions on where to go to ensure a smooth connection.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2017

The room was straight off the street through a card opened wrought iron gate and then a card opened door. It was adequate but not a large room and the bed was uncomfortable with a worn out mattress. The hotel was just an annex really of the main hotel a block away. In the Garden District it did have a car park at the main hotel which is not guaranteed in New Orleans. Breakfast was a cheap motel style
self service in paper bowels and placed in an untidy alley between the blocks of the main hotel. No room service was offered , no water in the room and a small keurig style coffee maker only. It is at the east end of the Garden District so walking to the French Quarter is feasible and a street car from St Georges St, a block to the north made a return easy for just $1.50. I would not want to revisit this hotel and at $170 a night it is overpriced but accommodation now in New Orleans is becoming rather expensive generally. Not a room you could spend time in but there is so much to do in New Orleans that may not be such a drawback.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs , less dingy.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adrian D
Reviewed 18 January 2017

the hotel is nice, could use some more deep cleaning in the rooms, but over all is not bad. the staff at the reception are not really useful, not rude but I think they do the essential. not what a reception/concierge should do.

it is a shame because the hotel is in a nice location, just 20 min from French Quarters,but it need some more care from the management

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2016

My wife and I stayed at the Oak Prytania on Dec 9th and 10th of 2016. We stayed on the bottom floor on the side away from the street. It was fairly quiet. There was a minimal continental breakfast offered but you had to go a block down the street to get it. It was in the tiny lobby of the Park Prytania.The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There was off street parking which was a plus. The outside of the building needs to be painted. I don't know why they don't keep up with that. It was not a bad choice but I will look elsewhere for a place to stay when I visit New Orleans again.

Room Tip: stay on the side of the building away from the street
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve H
Dori S, General Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2016

Dear Steve, I am so sorry that you will not be staying with us in the future. I am a bit confused though. By your review and the dot survey of the stay, you seemed overall happy with us.

I am not sure what you mean by minimal continental breakfast. Ours is expanded over the standard continental fare. Normally, it would be coffee/juice and a basket of breakfast breads. We serve with the coffee/tea/juice, English muffins (2-3 flavors) with multitude of jams, jellies, or orange marmalade, Dole Fruit cups, waffles, yogurt (2-3 flavors), oatmeal (variety of flavors), grits (variety of flavors), cold cereals ( 2 varieties)

As to the painting of the exterior, Thank you for bringing that to our attention. However, its not that it needs repainting, but pressure washing. We do this annually and its almost its due date. As with any structure here in New Orleans, with our high humidity year round, exteriors take a beating. So to re fresh the exterior paint, since its on Cementous board (Hardy board), a good pressure washing takes care of the oldness and refreshes the paint.

Reviewed 21 December 2016

This was so beautiful and original to New Orleans. The staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and well attended by the housekeeping staff. I will stay here over and over. It is close to the Trolley and easy to access the French Quarter and Tulane. I t was absolutely charming.

Room Tip: The upstairs/downstairs have the curvy staircase. It can be difficult to take luggage up. Pack small...
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family