“One of the highlights of my trip: lowernine.org tour”
Review of Lower 9th Ward

Ranked #121 of 364 things to do in New Orleans
Ottawa, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of my trip: lowernine.org tour”
Reviewed 23 May 2015

While researching for our week-long trip to NOLA, I was really trying to find things to do that are a little off the beaten path, less touristy. And a tour of the area affected by Katrina was definitely on the to-do list. I came across this website: http://lowernine.org (as indicated on their website: lowernine.org is a non-profit organization dedicated to the long-term recovery of New Orleans’ historic Lower Ninth Ward from Hurricane Katrina and the levee breaches of 2005). I emailed them asking if they gave tours. I got an email right away from someone called Laura Paul. A few more clicks, and I found out she was the Executive Director. She said she could give us a tour, we confirmed details with her with a few more emails. I asked if the tours cost anything, she said no, I asked how much people usually donate in exchange for a tour, she said whatever we liked. In the spirit of their '$365 from 365 people' campaign, I made an online donation in this amount before I left on the trip. Laura picked us up at our hotel located just outside the south-west end of the French Quarter, at the exact time she said she would. We were four adults and she showed up in a big pickup truck so the ride was pretty comfortable. We ended up spending 3 hours with her. She was amazing, as was the tour. The things she taught us were anywhere from terrifying, to astonishing, to heartwarming. She is so hardworking, humble, simple, well-versed, well-informed, passionate like no one else I've ever met. She took us to all the four corners of the lower ninth ward, to George's house, and we even stopped in at her own house. She explained exactly how the water entered the area, how people lived before this flood and how the area was, how houses are built in the area, the current challenges overall, the progress and successes, the work being done in the community, how she ended up doing what she's doing, what the organization is doing and how, how volunteering with them works. On the way to and from the lower ninth ward, she briefed us on how the city is laid out, local history and things we saw. She even dropped us off at our next destination, at her offering. I cannot speak highly enough about this experience.

19 Thank Eva P

Stevensville, Maryland, United States
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Still devastated 10 years after Hurricane Katrina”
Reviewed 1 May 2015

I visited the lower 9th ward on several occasions in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. I was eager to return and see the area and also the MS Gulf Coast to see how they had recovered. While much of the infrastructure has been repaired (levees, pump stations, etc), it is still amazing to see the empty houses and/or lots where houses once stood. Unfortunately, for many people in the Lower 9th there was no insurance to pay for the damage and they could not afford to rebuild on their own. It's also a good idea since most of this area is below sea level and likely to flood in any major hurricane again.

Albuquerque, NM
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Katrina's Aftermath”
Reviewed 29 April 2015

Last year when we visited New Orleans we did not venture to the Lower 9th Ward because we were afraid that it was going to be very depressing. This year, on a tour, we went through some of it. Although the area was hard hit, and after almost 10 years still has a way to go, we were very impressed by the homes Brad Pitt has been funding. The homes don't really fit into any of the myriad styles that New Orleans is known for. They are modern and the different architects who donated their time are inventive. Here's what I was so impressed with: the homes are self sustaining. They all have solar panels on the roofs so that the folks living there get free utilities (except water I assume). I think they'll last for years and be a great alternative to regular housing.

2 Thank Aon5727
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Stilts ”
Reviewed 17 March 2015 via mobile

It's so different to see so many house built on stilts to protect them from the water and flooding. It's like nothing you've ever seen before. The city still hasn't fully reviewed from Katrina

3 Thank Heavenboo1
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Treme Tour”
Reviewed 2 January 2015

Milton Carr gave us a two hour tour of Treme. I was amazed about how much he knew about the history of New Orleans / Louisiana and how effortlessly he could communicate it. The topic and his tour intertwines many important cultural and social milestones in America's / Lousiana's history and he was very knowledgeable about it. It was two hours well spent. I couldn't recommend him more highly.

Visited December 2014
10 Thank Doug E

Been to Lower 9th Ward? Share your experiences!