All reviews honeymoon suite bourbon street creole cottage french quarter toulouse street antique furniture chain hotels cookie cutter sitting room old world charm modern conveniences private balcony unique hotel mini fridge half block the location is perfect historic building
Reviewed March 28, 2018

A friend of mine and I decided to make a quick girl trip to New Orleans. We chose The Olivier Hotel and could not have been happier. Each person working were the friendliest and most hospitable and made sure we had everything we needed, answered our questions about recommendations for places to eat, directions, etc.
Our room had the old New Orleans Southern charm we expected. Our bathroom was fantastic; large and spacious with plenty of outlets and necessities. The room was comfortable. The ceiling fan didnt work but we had a small fan in our room that was stored in the storage area in the bathroom which was plenty for us. Everything was so quiet so I was quiet surprised when we were checking out at where did all fo the other guests come from! HA!
There is a sitting room which guest are welcome to self-serve themself with fresh, hot coffee, hot tea or cocoa with a wide choice of flavorings as well as a variety of cookies. No, they arent fresh baked, but its still a nice touch. Plenty of reading material including daily newspaper.
Overall the hotel is perfect. If you are looking for a 5 star plush and luxurious hotel, go somewhere else....But, if you want the charm of the old South and to be hosted by true Southern hospitality, this is your place.
Location is perfect! We walked everywhere we wanted to go including The Sangaer Theatre.
The only thing I would love to see added is something about the history of the hotel and information about the in house ghost.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

I'm giving this hotel 2 stars only because of its beauty. I NEVER leave reviews on hotels but this is a must. We fell in love with the hotel as soon as we walked in the door. Our loft style room was even better(look wise)conveniently located a block away from Bourbon st.BUT we checked in the hotel our last night in New Orleans TO REST,big mistake.It was so loud all night and early morning!!!!!!!! Not to mention when we got up at 4am to go to the airport we saw about 6-10 huge roaches coming in from under our door!!! So who knows how long they had been running around in our room possibly crawling on our stuff. When we got home we left our luggage outside and had to put all of our belongings in garbage bags because we didn't want to risk bringing roaches in with us! Talk about huge turn off from this beautiful hotel. Were getting married in New Orleans next year and when we first got there we loves it so much that we inquired about room blocks.I think it's safe to say we are no longer interested.So if you don't mind the loud noise (WHICH I HAVE NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT UNTIL MY STAY HERE THAT'S HOW CRAZY LOUD IT WAS) OR IF YOU DON'T MIND THE ROACHES, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU. BUT SURE AS HECK ISN'T THE PLACE FOR ME.Thank GOD we spent our 1st 3 days at the Dauphine Orleans Hotel.VERY CLEAN AND PEACEFUL!!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
tony2k1w, Guest Relations Manager at Olivier House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Hello Sherrie,
Regarding the noise: You visited during Spring Break. I can imagine in a street side room during such a time there might be noise from the street. I am disappointed you did not bring your discomfort to the attention of the staff. We have many wonderful, quiet rooms that are not on the street side of the building you could have chosen from in order to have your desired restful stay. The staff is available 24 hours a day to address issues and help guest.
Regarding roaches: "6-10 huge roaches" is a lot of roaches to be coming under a door at one time. Especially considering our stringent roach/bug control regime. I do not know why such a parade was not brought to the attention of the staff member on duty. The staff did mention that when you checked out early in the morning, he made you a fresh pot of coffee and that you seemed very pleasant and satisfied. I would not in any way wish to offend you and so I will take your comments at face value, and I offer my apologies for your unpleasant stay.
With regards
Jim

TO THE READER,
If you are interested, I would encourage you to look through our reviews to see that due to our pest control maintenance program, this is not a complaint we receive . I have looked and only found one complaint of a DEAD roach and a photo that someone took of a bug on the OUTSIDE of the building on the street, which of course is an area we would not be able to control. Of course, like any hotel, we are not perfect, and if an issue or problem arises we are willing and ready to acknowledge and fix it. The Olivier House is almost 200 years old and we are only the fourth family to have owned it. The same family has run it as a hotel for 48 years and as the current caretakers for this historic building, we take pride it trying to make it the best it can be. As the city of New Orleans, and the French Quarter in particular, is built on a swamp, rodents and bugs are a part of life. Nonetheless, as most who come to stay with us have not payed for "extra guests" to be in their room, we take very seriously our obligation to provide you with a historic, clean and comfortable room.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

We just returned from New Orleans and I have been trying to figure out how best to describe our experience here in a fair and honest manner. We booked a 2 bed room and were assigned 108 in an annexed building beside the main building. We had arranged for valet parking, when we pulled up there was a dumpster out front. The hotel had sustained fire damage and was repairing it. We did not notice any damage however what appeared as though it would have been a beautiful courtyard with pool was closed,second to the damage. It is close to bourbon st and we saw a few very drunk people staggering by on arrival. The outside of the hotel appears worn and a little dirty. Upon entering u are surrounded by a hodge podge of well loved antique furniture. You felt like u were visiting someone's home. They have coffee and tea available for guests all the time in the lobby. When we arrived they also had tangerines and tasty cookies. The room clerk showed us to our room. The alley way between the 2 buildings,has been closed off and there is now an enclosed courtyard, again with a lounging area and a fountain that was not running at the time. Our room did not have ur usual hotel door but rather 2 glass paned doors. As 2 women traveling alone I felt a little uncomfortable with this type of door. Our room was truly unique and quite spacious. There were 2 compfy queen beds, 2 wingback chair, small table and armoire for clothing storage. The room had 2 story soring ceiling and appeared to have been built with reclaimed wood. One wall was exposed brick. The most unusual aspect of the room was the floor or lack there of. It was cement just like one might find on the pavement outside but very clean with a rug covering part of it. The bathroom was serviceable and had homemade Shea butter soap which was a nice touch. I had an uncomfortable feeling in the room but my sister loved it so we stayed. We decided to get some take out from around the corner and make an early night of it. I fell asleep around 9pm only to be awakened by my sister 9:30pm. She had heard some strange noises and when she turned on the light saw what appeared to be a rat scurrying around it had hopped from the table to a chair beside it. Lest u think we miss saw something, my sister actually took 2 pictures of this rodent. Needless to say we packed quickly and informed the room clerk we would not be staying the rest of the night. The clerk did not seem too concerned but offered to refund both nights for us and did not charge us for valeting the car overnight with them. I thought this was very fair. We did not get to see other rooms. This is truly a unique boutique hotel, just not for us.

the lobby

Date of stay: March 2018
tony2k1w, Guest Relations Manager at Olivier House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Hello fall987,
I just read your review and was surprised and sorry to hear about your experience. It is true that the French Quarter does have a rat problem that started about a year and a half ago, however we have had great success at not having them in the hotel because we adopted several homeless cats from the shelter. They do a wonderful job of keeping them out of the building, but of course they cannot control the rats in the street That is why I was so surprised to hear you saw one inside. As soon as I saw your review, I called the maintenance department about it, and they had already fixed the problem, since the front desk had already contacted them immediately following your complaint. As you know, your room was facing the street and at street level, and as you mentioned there is some construction going on inside and outside the building. I don't know the exact details , but apparently while working on a wall, there was a hole left open that allowed the rat to come in from the outside. The fault is of the work crew and therefore, ours as well, so I apologize for what happened. Of course it was fixed immediately.
Pertaining to the dumpster in front, It does take up a couple of parking spots, but there should have still been ample room to park in front of it. I will look into making sure that the other spots remain open. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
As for the drunks staggering by from Bourbon St., I assume you mean on the street and not in the hotel. I can easily imagine that could happen as it is currently Spring Break.
You mentioned that the courtyard fountain was not running when you arrived. There are various reasons why it might have been off, cleaning, refilling it, etc. However, whenever it is off, they will gladly turn it back on if anyone request it.
I'm sorry if the doors made you uncomfortable. They are the iconic "French Doors" that are used everywhere in New Orleans. Their elegant look may have somehow given you the idea that they are not sturdy, but in fact are, and as I am sure you noticed, they are the most commonly used door in the French Quarter. We stand by the safety and durability.
Judging by your review, you seem like a lovely person and I can really appreciate that you mentioned that you tried to be fair and honest. I hope the rest of your time in New Orleans went well and you had a good holiday. Next time you are in town, even staying at another hotel, please feel free to stop by and get a coffee or snack or even use the restroom, take a break in the courtyard, etc. I agree when you said, the Olivier House is a unique hotel and not for everyone, so we take no offense if it is not your cup of tea.
Best wishes,
Jim

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

This was the best of the hotels we stayed at. Upon arrival we were greeted by John and he was super helpful in recommending places etc. Each room is different, making the horse authentic. It’s a block off Bourbon and a short walk to Jackson Square (Cafe De Monde). If I were going back, I would absolutely stay here again. Great hotel and great staff. Thank you for having us

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

I love the Olivier House Hotel. It really has the whole New Orleans vibe. They have the old paintings hanging on the walls, so you can see the history of the hotel. The rooms are spacious, nice, and have a great layout. It’s right off Bourbon, and is in the perfect location for seeing all the French Quarter has to offer. This is definitely my fave place to stay when we hit up Nola!!

Date of stay: February 2018