All reviews french quarter home away from home mardi gras felt like home crescent city parade route few blocks charm nola privacy trolley neighborhoods swamp lamp walgreens
Reviewed May 18, 2015

The good: EXCELLENT location. Steps from both St. Charles and Magazine, and not far from the CBD. Plenty of food, shopping and coffee/cocktail locations each way. Beautiful homes nearby, felt very safe, and the convenience of the street car stop was perfect. Avenue Pub and Hivolt Coffee are some of my new favorites. The place was sanitary - obviously vacuumed, wiped down, etc. Quiet. Wifi. Pool looked nice enough. We are certainly sold on staying in this part of town. Low price.

The bad: The property is about 25 years past due for repairs. Peeling wallpaper, holes in the walls and ceiling, rusty bathrooms, dripping faucets, rust (?) stains on the sheets, stains on the carpet, no telling how old the uncomfortable mattresses and flat pillows are, sheer curtains, broken dressers, no deadbolt on the rooms. Not a true bed & breakfast - other reviewers are correct that "breakfast" is packaged goods. I saw a fellow traveler carrying in toilet paper...now I understand why. Bring your own soft stuff.

The "simplicity" of no phone/no TV doesn't begin to tell the story. We were more than OK without those things. We slept terribly due to the light flooding in the windows at 7 am, the aches in our backs from the ancient mattress, and the warmth when the window unit couldn't keep up.

Truly wanted to appreciate the quirks and support a small business, but couldn't because we were so uncomfortable. It truly has so much potential if only it had been well maintained. You get what you pay for, and I'm willing to pay more next time for some basic comfort.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank GOYAYTravel
dhilton1, Owner at St. Charles Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2015

This reviewer point out some of our good qualities and some not so good. Our property is
over 130 years old and like all older properties always needs work. It is a "work in progress"
It has a "humaness" about it. There is always something to be done. I like the fact that they
enjoyed the neighborhood, our economical prices, the pool area, and the safety that seems
to be a very strong point. These guests should know that we truly appreciate their patronage
and will continue to work on "renovation" as they mention. If they ever want to have a safe
economical, friendly visit to "old New Orleans" we do hope that they keep us in mind. We are
truly a slice of old New Orleans and when we get frustrated with our lack of "renovation progress"
my allocentric travelers tell me to chill and remember "laissez les bon temps roulez"

Reviewed April 29, 2015

I stayed here again, and noticed quite an improvement. While still warm and friendly, the details are better looked after. I love this place! It is convenient to the streetcar and thus the whole city. 1 block to the streetcar and a couple of blocks to Magazine. It is the least expensive place I've found to stay. The rooms are old world charming, and the breakfast items are left out 24/7. It makes one feel right at home.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Suzanne G
dhilton111, Owner at St. Charles Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2015

Suzanne is our type of guest. She is an allocentric traveler and likes to get to the heart of a place
She seeks out those places that provide a slice of life especially a slice that is very "New Orleanian" . She is a former business owner and knows what it takes to run a business.
She is a single lady traveling alone who seeks our security friendliness and a great location.
She is also budget minded and loves authenticity. She is a repeat guest who will speak up
if something does not please her. We look forward to returning guests who truly know how to
enjoy the environs of the city.

Reviewed March 6, 2015

I don't need T.V., etc. when I am traveling but I need a comfortable "bed" and " decent breakfast", only if it is continental. There were neither. Toast, packaged baked goods, my husband had to make coffee ...bowls and no cereal. We only ate there once out of the 4 day stay. We changed rooms after the toilet backed up both times we used it. An amenity as simple as a hair dryer had to be asked for. The second room was somewhat better with the wallpaper falling off the wall. It was all so make-shift, gave the feeling of just being held together with duct tape. I think Dennis and Co. have simply given up after all those years in the business, as it would take mega $ to bring it back to a really nice B & B. Not so sure it ever was!

Room Tip: Look at more that one room before you settle in for the duration.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frankie L

I want to thank the reviewer for staying at the St Charles Guest House. The reviewer mentions
that I call our place "no frills" and that is true. We do not have tvs or phones in rooms but we
do have a very nice pool and patio area along with free wifi and a complimentary bakery breakfast
that we serve by the pool in the am. I simply say that we are a simple older kind of place that was
built in the late 1800s . It is for a budget minded traveler who likes to get to the heart of a place and
enjoys simplicity. We are in one of the best neighborhoods of New Orleans. The Garden District
is special , unique , safe and very very convenient . We are one block away from the streetcar stop
#11. If you like an historic neighborhood that is safe with a lot of older beautiful classic homes then
our place might be for you. Give us a try and we will do our best to help you enjoy our city.

Reviewed February 23, 2015

This place was in a great location. It was a block from the parades so could walk back and forth w/o issues. It's a block away from a park, though not an actual playground but my son liked throwing the football around.
The guest house was decent, my hubs wanted something more fancier but for the price during Mardi Gras, you couldn't complain. There is no T.V., central heating/air, refrigerator in room. But free wifi which is fine bc we always bring out laptop so we were able to watch a movie when we needed to chill.
The breakfast was simple, bread & toaster, muffins, breakfast bars, coffee, juice, fruit cups, etc. Nice little breakfast room to eat in, and we also brought food from place and ate in there.
There is a pool but too cold to swim, it has a nice outside deck area where you would be able to hang.
It's a block from the trolley, though they weren't running during Mardi Gras.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
dhilton1, Owner at St. Charles Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2015

The reviewer responds about their experience during Mardi Gras . This year 2015 was exceptionally busy for the Guest House. We were full during that time period and it is
always a challenge to meet all the guests needs. Guests come to Mardi Gras for a variety of reasons and sometimes it does not have anything to do with the Carnival atmosphere. I like
to tell guests that it is hard to avoid the carnival spirit and if one just relaxes and pays attention
to the social dynamics of the season then they will be rewarded with very interesting insights. I also tell guests that if they masque then they will experience a different reality than those who
do not mask. Our overall objective as those who work during this time period is to help those who come to have a safe , memorable, and fun time Hopefully they will enjoy the parades the
costuming and the "weirdness" of the event. It is definitively memorable.

Reviewed February 18, 2015

I stayed in a six beds bedroom. Old house, but clean. If you can, bring your own pillow, towel and blanket. They give them, but not good ones. Friendly and helpful staff. Wirelles doesn't work in the most of the bedrooms, just in the aisles. About 1,5mi from Bourbon Street.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends