“Five Star Character”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
St. Charles Guest House
Ranked #45 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2015

Is it a 5-Star place? No, not at all. So why do I give it that rating? Because it's a place with unique "real New Orleans" character and great people.

It's an old, old building in the lower Garden District. There are cracks in the wall, loose tiles in the bathroom, and the bed feels at least fifty years old. There is no TV (seriously, it's New Orleans. You're not there to watch TV). The A/C is just one of those units that fits into the window but does the job well enough. (Again, it's New Orleans. You're not there to hang out in your room).

It's the sort of place that made me feel as if I was in a real distinctive city. It's location is perfect relative to the street car on St. Charles Ave., downtown, uptown, etc. If you don't like walking, this is unlikely the place for you (the city might not be for you, for that matter). If you like to walk and explore different neighborhoods, meet locals, and not be self-centered on your vacation then it's a spot for you.

It's the sort of place where Dennis, the owner, will tell you stories about Earl Long. It's where an old-timey photographer will show up driving his hearse. It's where a photographer from Oregon will stay, and use to shower and sleep a few hours a night in-bewteen music festivals and Frenchmen St.

The service is good. My room was cleaned and bed made each day, except Sunday (a day off). If I needed a cab, taken care of. I felt safe and secure. It's very much a, "Be Nice or Leave" kind of place. You're nice to them, it comes back to you tenfold.

As for creature comforts. Well, the breakfast part of it is nothing spectacular. It's simple and nice, and gets the job done for the money. Again, it's New Orleans. Please go outside and eat at one of many great restaurants across price ranges.

The pool is a nice thing to have, particularly for late night munchies. You can sit with your feet in the pool on a warm night, and have privacy while you eat a Po Boy from St Charles Tavern down the road. It's delightful to do that after a long day around the city. It also has free WiFi that works good.

It's also a quiet place, no revelry. I welcomed this after a day and night around the city. If you're looking for a 24/7 fraternity party, stay on Bourbon St.

The people who criticize don't get it, in my opinion, and are a bit miserly. They're apparently expecting a 4 or 5 star kind of place, but for 1 star prices. If you're looking for 4 or 5 star, pay the price for it and stay somewhere else. Don't stay here for the cheaper prices, and then bash it later because it wasn't the bargain spoiler you thought it would be.

But if you're in the mood for a unique taste of NOLA and a character-driven place off the beaten and predictable path, then it's a good option for you. I was there solo, both for vacation and some photography, and it met my needs. I had a great time and loved the staff.

Room Tip: If you're solo, just go for a single with bath. Bed is about queen size.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank Paul O
dhilton1, Owner at St. Charles Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2015

Another photographer, and one can tell from this review how they enjoy their visits and
unique view of the cityscape. They also enjoy the ambiance and character that permeates
the fabric of New Orleans. We really appreciate guests of this persuasion and enjoy their
insights of the Guest House and those that visit and stay at the guest house. This reviewer
mentions the "allocentric traveler" and we as a Guest House fully understand those who view the
world in this unique manner. They truly like to get to the heart of a city. We are very
appreciative that they chose our Guest House to stay and that they enjoy those things that the
Guest House offers. We hope that we can continue to appeal to those type of travelers as they
do make our world more interesting.

Reviewed 18 May 2015

The good: EXCELLENT location. Steps from both St. Charles and Magazine, and not far from the CBD. Plenty of food, shopping and coffee/cocktail locations each way. Beautiful homes nearby, felt very safe, and the convenience of the street car stop was perfect. Avenue Pub and Hivolt Coffee are some of my new favorites. The place was sanitary - obviously vacuumed, wiped down, etc. Quiet. Wifi. Pool looked nice enough. We are certainly sold on staying in this part of town. Low price.

The bad: The property is about 25 years past due for repairs. Peeling wallpaper, holes in the walls and ceiling, rusty bathrooms, dripping faucets, rust (?) stains on the sheets, stains on the carpet, no telling how old the uncomfortable mattresses and flat pillows are, sheer curtains, broken dressers, no deadbolt on the rooms. Not a true bed & breakfast - other reviewers are correct that "breakfast" is packaged goods. I saw a fellow traveler carrying in toilet paper...now I understand why. Bring your own soft stuff.

The "simplicity" of no phone/no TV doesn't begin to tell the story. We were more than OK without those things. We slept terribly due to the light flooding in the windows at 7 am, the aches in our backs from the ancient mattress, and the warmth when the window unit couldn't keep up.

Truly wanted to appreciate the quirks and support a small business, but couldn't because we were so uncomfortable. It truly has so much potential if only it had been well maintained. You get what you pay for, and I'm willing to pay more next time for some basic comfort.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank GOYAYTravel

This reviewer point out some of our good qualities and some not so good. Our property is
over 130 years old and like all older properties always needs work. It is a "work in progress"
It has a "humaness" about it. There is always something to be done. I like the fact that they
enjoyed the neighborhood, our economical prices, the pool area, and the safety that seems
to be a very strong point. These guests should know that we truly appreciate their patronage
and will continue to work on "renovation" as they mention. If they ever want to have a safe
economical, friendly visit to "old New Orleans" we do hope that they keep us in mind. We are
truly a slice of old New Orleans and when we get frustrated with our lack of "renovation progress"
my allocentric travelers tell me to chill and remember "laissez les bon temps roulez"

Reviewed 29 April 2015

I stayed here again, and noticed quite an improvement. While still warm and friendly, the details are better looked after. I love this place! It is convenient to the streetcar and thus the whole city. 1 block to the streetcar and a couple of blocks to Magazine. It is the least expensive place I've found to stay. The rooms are old world charming, and the breakfast items are left out 24/7. It makes one feel right at home.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Suzanne G
dhilton111, Owner at St. Charles Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2015

Suzanne is our type of guest. She is an allocentric traveler and likes to get to the heart of a place
She seeks out those places that provide a slice of life especially a slice that is very "New Orleanian" . She is a former business owner and knows what it takes to run a business.
She is a single lady traveling alone who seeks our security friendliness and a great location.
She is also budget minded and loves authenticity. She is a repeat guest who will speak up
if something does not please her. We look forward to returning guests who truly know how to
enjoy the environs of the city.

Reviewed 6 March 2015

I don't need T.V., etc. when I am traveling but I need a comfortable "bed" and " decent breakfast", only if it is continental. There were neither. Toast, packaged baked goods, my husband had to make coffee ...bowls and no cereal. We only ate there once out of the 4 day stay. We changed rooms after the toilet backed up both times we used it. An amenity as simple as a hair dryer had to be asked for. The second room was somewhat better with the wallpaper falling off the wall. It was all so make-shift, gave the feeling of just being held together with duct tape. I think Dennis and Co. have simply given up after all those years in the business, as it would take mega $ to bring it back to a really nice B & B. Not so sure it ever was!

Room Tip: Look at more that one room before you settle in for the duration.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frankie L

I want to thank the reviewer for staying at the St Charles Guest House. The reviewer mentions
that I call our place "no frills" and that is true. We do not have tvs or phones in rooms but we
do have a very nice pool and patio area along with free wifi and a complimentary bakery breakfast
that we serve by the pool in the am. I simply say that we are a simple older kind of place that was
built in the late 1800s . It is for a budget minded traveler who likes to get to the heart of a place and
enjoys simplicity. We are in one of the best neighborhoods of New Orleans. The Garden District
is special , unique , safe and very very convenient . We are one block away from the streetcar stop
#11. If you like an historic neighborhood that is safe with a lot of older beautiful classic homes then
our place might be for you. Give us a try and we will do our best to help you enjoy our city.

Reviewed 23 February 2015

This place was in a great location. It was a block from the parades so could walk back and forth w/o issues. It's a block away from a park, though not an actual playground but my son liked throwing the football around.
The guest house was decent, my hubs wanted something more fancier but for the price during Mardi Gras, you couldn't complain. There is no T.V., central heating/air, refrigerator in room. But free wifi which is fine bc we always bring out laptop so we were able to watch a movie when we needed to chill.
The breakfast was simple, bread & toaster, muffins, breakfast bars, coffee, juice, fruit cups, etc. Nice little breakfast room to eat in, and we also brought food from place and ate in there.
There is a pool but too cold to swim, it has a nice outside deck area where you would be able to hang.
It's a block from the trolley, though they weren't running during Mardi Gras.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
dhilton1, Owner at St. Charles Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2015

The reviewer responds about their experience during Mardi Gras . This year 2015 was exceptionally busy for the Guest House. We were full during that time period and it is
always a challenge to meet all the guests needs. Guests come to Mardi Gras for a variety of reasons and sometimes it does not have anything to do with the Carnival atmosphere. I like
to tell guests that it is hard to avoid the carnival spirit and if one just relaxes and pays attention
to the social dynamics of the season then they will be rewarded with very interesting insights. I also tell guests that if they masque then they will experience a different reality than those who
do not mask. Our overall objective as those who work during this time period is to help those who come to have a safe , memorable, and fun time Hopefully they will enjoy the parades the
costuming and the "weirdness" of the event. It is definitively memorable.

Reviewed 18 February 2015

I stayed in a six beds bedroom. Old house, but clean. If you can, bring your own pillow, towel and blanket. They give them, but not good ones. Friendly and helpful staff. Wirelles doesn't work in the most of the bedrooms, just in the aisles. About 1,5mi from Bourbon Street.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emeline B
Reviewed 17 February 2015 via mobile

Looking for a change from boring hotel rooms? This just might be a good choice! Not fancy, not modern, but it was an awesome place! Like staying in your great aunt's old house! Loved our 3 nights there!
We had read several of the reviews and were a bit concerned....but it was a great experience! Clean rooms, great location, for the price you can't go wrong!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple

The guest speaks of character and it reminds me of what we wanted to accomplish when we opened in 1980, People who visit New Orleans talk of character and mention that is one of the
main reasons for visiting New Orleans along with music , food, architecture, the French Quarter and of course the people. We had a goal at the Guest House to be a place that exhibited
character and provided a high degree of "Southern Hospitality", It is good to know that some
of our guests like our "character"and we truly appreciate them mentioning it.