All reviews french quarter home away from home mardi gras felt like home crescent city parade route few blocks charm nola privacy trolley neighborhoods swamp lamp walgreens
Reviewed April 15, 2017 via mobile

St. Charles Guest House is a place I'll cherish forever. Walking through the doors feels like home. I enjoyed walking to Walgreens just a few blocks away to grab a newspaper before enjoying breakfast at the guest house each morning. Our group of friends met for Mardi Gras 2017 - we were in perfect walking distance, just one block away from St Charles Avenue. The perfect place for parade watching (and bead catching!) We also enjoyed walks to the French Quarter and with the help of the staff, learned all of the wonderful insights of the beautiful crescent city. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in New Orleans. Why plan an overly commercial trip when you can really see it through the eyes of locals! And as the owner Dennis told me, there's no place that does parades as often as New Orleans. It's true - I've been back in the real world for over a month now and I'm looking forward to my next escape. :)

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2017

Had a wonderful experience staying here with a group of friends for Mardi Gras. The St Charles parade route is literally one block away, which means you can even come back to your room for breaks and afternoon naps! The rooms were clean and the staff were very accommodating. Enjoyed lounging in the pool area and the Sunday cookout with jambalaya and boudin sausages. I'm definitely going back!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2017

Three things make St Charles Guest House a great place. The people here not only take care of business but they take time to talk and share ideas of great places in New Orleans to see and things to do - Dennis and his staff are awesome! The property is incredible, stunningly beautiful and yet so homey and comfortable. Decorative and functional are both well done. The gas heaters in the rooms are warm and comforting on cool nights. The placement couldn't be better. Off St Charles for a quiet night but close to great places, neighborhoods, and the streetcar to get everywhere, this is the perfect spot. I urge you to consider St Charles Guest House first when planning a trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2017

My friend and I stayed at the St-Charles Guesthouse for one week. Upon our arrival, the owner took time to welcome us and offered us some help to plan our activities. We had an amazing trip in the swamp! The location is ideal! One street away from streetcar and bus...very quiet and nice place to hang at night (without having to go to the French Quarter). Nice rooms, fresh fruits in the morning, and the staff is always ready to help (do not hesitate to ask for insights)..

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2017

Our recent visit to New Orleans for the French Quarter Festival reminded me of why we always choose to stay at the St. Charles Guesthouse when we return to the city. The Quarter is a lot of fun and unique, but there is a lot more that is unique about New Orleans, and it should not be missed. If you want an authentic New Orleans experience, the Guesthouse is the place. Despite their best efforts, the big chain hotels can’t begin to match it. Even in the Quarter when decorated with local motifs, they still have a sterile, corporate air.
As the price makes clear, the Guesthouse is not a luxury hotel. Staying there is more like visiting friends or family who live in one of those big old houses in the Garden District, complete with antique wallpaper and occasionally uneven floors. You are not a customer; you are truly a guest. Everyone is very friendly and anxious to make your stay as comfortable as possible, and you quickly feel like a member of the family.
What the Guesthouse lacks in amenities—it does have a nice pool and deck for relaxation—it makes up in its Lower Garden District atmosphere and its great location, just a block from the St. Charles streetcar line so it’s a short trip to Canal Street and the Quarter as well as Uptown and Audubon Park. Most importantly the Guesthouse has something other places would love to have: the owner, “Mr. Dennis” Hilton, a native and lifelong resident who really knows and loves his city. He is an invaluable source for getting the most out of any trip to New Orleans.
If you want to experience the real New Orleans rather than some Disney World imitation, the St. Charles Guesthouse is your best bet as well as your best value.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family