“Very Comfortable”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #62 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Loved the balcony and the breakfast service was first rate. The food was much better than other places we tried. Great location.

Room Tip: ask for balcony overlooking the pool if you like a good view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Phyllis F
There are newer reviews for Hotel St. Marie

Reviewed 2 February 2012

When we pulled up to Hotel St. Marie, I was very excited to see the charm on the exterior of the building. They have oil lanterns and ferns that run the length of all sides of the hotel. The entrance and lobby were beautiful as well. Absolutely great location to stay in New Orleans!! The hotel is situated one block over from Bourbon street which is removed enough to get some sleep and stay away from the chaos. Perfect location to walk mostly anywhere in New Orleans and not far from picking up the trolley if you want to tour the garden district or some of the cemetaries. Hotel staff was friendly, knowledgable, and helpful. They greeted us every time they saw us, and asked if we were enjoying our time. Our room was fairly standard, and a bit underwhelming, but did the trick. Mattress was similar to a college dorm and shower heat was tempermental at times. Honestly, we weren't spending a ton of time in our room anyway so the room was just fine for our purposes. We got the balcony which overlooked the beautiful pool and patio. Housekeepers were prompt daily and helpful. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel St. Marie and would recommend it to friends/family.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kate L
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed here for two nights in September.

It was generally a positive experience. Close to the action of the French Quarter, but still just far enough that you won't have trouble sleeping. Pleasant, helpful staff. The room itself is a reasonable price for the quality and location.

There's two minor negatives that stop it from getting a 5* rating. The first is that the area around the pool could have been kept cleaner. I know that in an outdoor pool area, you can't keep it 100% spotless, but it could have done with a bit more TLC than it had had. The second negative was the price of the parking. You'd be better off sticking your car into a nearby garage and walking to the hotel,

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blackgreen
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Stayed here over new years. We paid alot of money to stay here (maybe because it was new years), and were not impressed. The first room they gave us was like a cell. It was damp and needed more than just a little TLC. We were moved the next morning which was good, up onto a higher floor. The room was much nicer, however still average. The window didnt open, and there was a cockroach in the cupboard. We had paid for breakfast in advance and were told when we got there that they no longer include breakfast so we were given vouchers to present for $3 off. You will find far nicer and cheaper breakfasts around town.
Best thing about the hotel was the location. You are in a wonderful position for all amenities and it is quiet enough at night that you get a good nights sleep. 'Stumbling distance' from bourbon street.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

First stayed here in March of 2005, just a little after their grand reopening. The hotel was so charming and the room so lavish, I make it a point of staying there at least once every time I'm in Nola. It feels like stepping into the past, expect the in-room television and lighted salt-water pool. If you can stay here, do.

Room Tip: If you're in a party mood ask for a room with a balcony facing the street, if you prefer quiet a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jason V
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have made several trips to New Orleans staying at many hotels around the CBD and French Quarter. The outside decor was exactly what one would expect a NOLA French Quarter to look like -- the gas lamps and wrought iron. It was beautiful. Given one of my favorite adult beverages is the Hand Grenade, it was quite convenient for me given the Tropical Isle is one block away on Bourbon Street. It is an older hotel that was remodeled (I would imagine) therefore, the noise reduction might not be as good as it could be. I would not say it was at an annoyingly disturbing level, but one could definitely hear the louder talkers. I've stayed at some other hotels in The Quarter which seemed to have climate control issues...as I was here in winter, I can't be sure if the a/c is an issue or not. This is something that becomes important in the hot months. I am a smoker and I think it would be nice to have a more convenient smoking area for those on the 5th floor rather than going all the way back down to the lobby to either smoke outside the front door or in their courtyard -- if for no other reason than safety, assuring every customer has convenience, and more courteous to the other guests. While I was going alone and was quiet, others that went (late at night after a night out) weren't so quiet. I think adding a patio on each floor might be more advantageous. There is one elevator for the establishment which is extremely slow. Not much of an issue except perhaps late at night when there are louder guests waiting for the elevator to either smoke or go back out. The gentleman that parked the car was wonderful. He was courteous, friendly and upbeat with both encounters. He seemed genuinely happy to assist his customers. Parking fee was typical for hotels...I think the fees are pricey for guests of the hotel, but it is better to have your car parked in a secure area as car-jackings, break-ins, vandalism, and stealing is quite high in NOLA. The daytime hotel woman who checked me in (I wish I got her name) was extremely friendly and efficient. Also, she was very professional in her appearance without looking like the corporate-type one might see at the Hilton or Harrah's. I personally like the Quarter for the down-home feel one gets, however, I've been to some hotels where the down-home was taken to the point of being at home. The night time desk person wasn't as friendly. I needed to have a key re-made as my friend was holding onto my key and could not be found. That wasn't an issue, however the next morning (before the other woman started her shift), she was not so friendly when I needed her to re-code the "old" key as I grabbed the wrong one. She seemed to be scolding me and made it seem I was putting her out to have the key re-coded. She wasn't as nicely presentable as the other woman who assisted me during the daytime hours.

The hotel lobby and hallways were immaculate. The rooms are simple, but large and look nice. I was absolutely shocked at the price for this hotel. I stayed on a Thursday night at the beginning of Mardi Gras season (parade starting that Saturday) and paid about $73.00 for the night (including fees and taxes). I've paid mid -$100/night at lesser quality hotels further from the action. The price did jump up quite a bit beginning on Friday, but not at an alarming rate. Overall, I loved this hotel and this will be the first one I check on each time I go to New Orleans, which is several times a year.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kari B
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We come to New Orleans each year and always stayed at the St Marie, but find each visit the service is becoming less and less. They use to offer breakfast, that they no longer do. I think next year we will try something new; most of their problems is due to be understaffed. Yet after walking all day in your room has not been cleaned by 2:30, well that's just unexceptable, then you leave and return at 5 and it's still not done- well you loss my business right there.

• Stayed: January 2012