“A little gem”

Ranked #103 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“A little gem”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We attended an event at at the super dome. With prices jacked all over town, we selected this place because of its price, location and proximity to the event. We were VERY pleasantly surprised to find how great it was. First, the staff was very knowledgeable about transportation options and were willing to patiently, pleasantly, and cheerfully answer questions. The room was clean and very comfortable...and I'm picky. Thanks for the fitted sheets. The attached bistro was wonderful.one rather unique feature of the experience was the flat out honesty of the company and staff. Two days before our reservation, we received an email with the details confirming the reservation but it also included, in red type, the parking charge. I love their no hidden costs/no surprises policy. Similarly, the front desk clerk advised us that the included continental breakfast was "high carb". How refreshing!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We sure appreciate your kind words. My staff and I try our best to give each guest the best experience possible and are so pleased when we achieve this! I do hope to see you on your next visit to town.
Sincerley,
Geoffrey d Taylor
2012 Choice Hotels International Gold Award Winner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Ladonia
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Nice looking hotel, well decorated/refurbished, good location at Trolley stop and restaurants and local pub. Room lovely, well decorated, clean, quiet, spacious - plenty of room to move around with a huge counter for coffee maker etc. Bed fabulous with cotton bedding choice of down and non- pillows. Everything worked. Bathroom well-done with good fixtures - clean, very nice, good lighting. Professional staff, great Valets - these kids are on top of it.

Room Tip: We had the West sun shining in - which was great in Nov. I'd asked for a quiet room so we were...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly A
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did! I am pleased to hear you had a good stay! I hope you will think of us next time you are in our city.
2011 Platinum Award Winner
Reviewed 18 December 2011

My daughter and I stayed there the weekend before Thanksgiving and we really enjoyed our experience. The trolley line stop right outside the door, so you can get around the city easily. The restaurant and bar downstairs were convenient to have and the rooms were very large and well appointed. The beds and pillows were great, very comfortable. We had a sitting area, small fridge and microwave. What more do you need?

Room Tip: It was a pretty quiet area, but I would imagine it would be better to have a room that wasn't ri...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ruger10
Thanks so much for your review! I am pleased to hear you had a great stay with us. Our staff uses these reviews to see how we can improve the guest experience. I hope this response finds you well and that we see you next time you are in New Orleans.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I was very pleased with my choice to stay at the Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel while visiting New Orleans for a few days. I most certainly wanted to visit the French Quarter area - but didn't want to stay there. The Clarion Grand Boutique is in the garden district on St. Charles Ave and just a short drive to the French Quarter area. I felt very safe staying here and I thought that the rooms were nice and clean. The bed and pillows were some of the most comfy that I have ever had in a hotel. I only had 2 complaints with the room, one being that the closet was very small and cramped, making it hard to get into. And the second being that I was woke up every morning @ 2 a.m. because the garbage truck was picking up the trash at this time and made a lot of noise outside my window. Other than that I was very pleased with my choice to stay here and I would stay here again in a heartbeat (but I would ask not to be put on the street side). Another bonus to staying here is that Copeland's Cheesecake Factory is in this building and I ate dinner there both nights and the food is delicious!

There is a Walgreen's a block away for anything you might have forgotten and I even picked up a few souviners there. If you are parking in their garage it will cost $18 + tax a day which was cheaper than some other hotels that I looked at. The cable car runs in front of the hotel, but I didn't get a chance to ride it - maybe next time. :-)

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in a room on the street side. They can be a little noisy at times.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank muscadine-eyes
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2011
Thank you so much for your review! It makes me so happy to hear that my team has provided a wonderful experience for you! I love that you provided some tips for our future guests. I agree those big garbage trucks that early are a nuisance, but unfortunately, a necessary one! Next time you stay with us make sure and let us know and we can move you to the opposite side of the building, I hope you will come back and visit our city very soon.
laissez le bon temps rouler!
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stay here at least once a month for business and I would not stay anywhere else. If you are planning a trip to New Orleans, you must stay at the Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel! It is right by the streetcar (a New Orleans experience MUST) and centrally located to all other tourist attractions. It is a smaller "boutique" hotel and it has the personal feel of a bed and breakfast. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly every stay. The valet is exceptional and there is a Copeland's Cheescake Bistro attached for convienience as well. It gives you the atmosphere of New Orleans without all of the noise of staying in the French Quarter. The price is reasonable and the rooms are comfortable and spotless. I would and have definitely recommended this hotel to anyone planning a trip to New Orleans.

Room Tip: If you want a view of St. Charles, there are rooms available with a balcony and jacuzzi hot tub. I d...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheree H
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Thank you so much for letting us know how we did! It is great to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. I hope you come back to see us on your next visit to new orleans.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews here. I have to say I agree. It was a very comfortable stay. The hotel is in a great location. I did not want to be in the French Quarter, but close enough in case I wanted to venture over. The cable car stops in front of the hotel.
There are plenty of restaurants within a couple of blocks. The area is safe. I will definitely stay here again. Jeffery and the staff were nice.

Brad

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MountainBikeTexas
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2011
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased your stay was a great one. It was a pleasure for our staff to get to know you and help make your stay a comfortable on. I hope you had a safe travel home and we look forward to seeing yout he next time you are in our city.
Warren, Michigan
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed here 2 times. Both times were right after Christmas the last 2 years (2009/2010). The staff is pretty pleasant, the rooms could be cleaner and brighter. While there was a mini frig and a coffee maker in the room, I just could never relax, feeling as though things weren't very clean the second year. The price is in the mid to lower range but then add in all the taxes and the $18. a day parking and it adds up. There is an o.k. buffet in the morning mainly grab and go things. There is no pool nor courtyard except for where you park and walk in. The parking attendants were rather friendly and helpful. When we checked in the second year it was freezing in the room. Luckily we were just dropping things off and leaving again so we could turn the heat on and let it warm up while we were gone. Behind the hotel there is a neighborhood that was hit with Katrina and trying to recover. Across the avenue is the lower Garden District. Absolutely lovely homes to look at. Right in front of the hotel in the center of the avenue you can catch the streetcar $1.50 each way exact change. Very handy to not have to try and drive especially to the Quarter as is can be rather difficult to find parking there. There is a Walgreens a couple blocks down so you can get snacks and beverages and/or medications.
All in all the hotel room is mediocre, lobby is nice and the restaurant is good. Location is rather good being in between the Quarter and Audubon Park and Zoo and Uptown.

We Did get the feeling that the building used to be a storage facility or something. There is a bit of a peculiar feel to it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review your stay from last year and the year prior. I am so glad that overall your experience was a good one. I wanted to let you know that we do take each review and go over them with the staff and decide how we can improve the guest experience with the feedback we receive.
We are a historic building located in the lovely garden district. We were originally a Packard car dealership and then following that a Mercedes dealership. So yes in a manner of speaking we were a warehouse. This is why many of our rooms are about double the size of a standard hotel room and why we have large picture windows in each room instead of a standard hotel room sized window.
I also wanted to give you some exciting information about the things we have changed since your last stay! Firstly we received a platinum award for our service, cleanliness and guest feedback scores. This is a huge honor from choice hotels international. Secondly, since your stay we have painted the walls, freshened up the carpets, and gotten new 42 inch flat screen televisions. Our housekeeping staff has adopted a new 100 point inspection of each room which assures that all our rooms are in tip top shape before you get here. Just to let you know in exciting neighborhood news, the entire street behind us has been redeveloped with new housing and the culinary institute of New Orleans.
I do hope we see you again this year and that we can exceed your expectations this time! If there is ever anything you need while visiting our city please give us a call and let us know!