“I was very satisfied with this hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ranked #103 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Boston
“I was very satisfied with this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I booked this hotel through Hotwire. I was combining a visit to my son at Tulane with a business trip in downtown. This hotel was conveniently located on St. Charles and I enjoyed riding the street car to get to both of my destinations. I too stayed in room six and found in large, clean and the bed was great. There was a microwave, small fridge and a coffee pot. I found the neighborhood safe. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was a small breakfast as part of the price. There are not a lot of other services but plenty of little stores and places to eat nearby.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kathryn J
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so glad your stay was a good one and am gladd that we helped facilitate a good weekend for you in New Orleans. I hope next time you come down to visit your son you will stay with us again! Have a great day!
2012 Choice Hotels International Gold Award WInner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
FERNANDINA BEACH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four nights in March 2012 for her high school reunion. The room [#6] was excellent, large, well furnished, clean and with a nice view of St. Charles Street. The room cleaning staff was attentive and did a fine job. The breakfast was adequate, with plenty of hot coffee and a waffle machine.

The hotel has valet parking, with an on-the-ball staff. Vehicles are readily accessable during times the valet are not on duty.

I was not overly pleased with the front desk staff. We were greeted on arrival, however the desk clerk, the remainder of times we stopped at the desk seemed to be on the phhone with personal calls. She did quickly interrupt her call to take care of our requests. My problem came on receiving the staftement under our door the morning of checkout. There were daily charges of $1.50, plu $0.14 sales rax each day for the room safe. We did not use the safe, nor we informed at check-in of a customary charge for it. I contacted the desk clerk on finding the charge and sales tax, explaining that the safe wasn't used and asking that the charges be removed. I was advised that they were "customary". I again asked that they be removed and received a non-commital response. When I asked if that meant the charge would be removed, the connection had been broken. The charges were removed before we left.

Bottom line: The hotel was nice, but I would make mention that I did not wish the safe ar check-in, [if that were my intention].

As an aside, The Trolley Stop Cafe in across the side street from the Clarion. A locally-frequented restaurant, the breakfast was excellent, at a very reasonable price, and with a cheerful and attentive wait staff.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper, ask for a room away from St. Charles Street, the trolley runs 24/7 and can be he...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chuckfarmer
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
I want to start off by thanking you so much for taking the time out to let us know how we are doing here at the Grand Boutique. I am pleased that we met or exceeded your expectations in some areas and am deeply troubled that we did not meet them in other ares.
I am so sorry that your experience with our desk staff was less than stellar. We do charge an automatic safe charge on each room. This is a built in charge through choice hotels international and we cannot prevent it from being charged, but we can take if off upon request. I am glad this charge was taken off for you, but am disappointed with how our desk agent handled it. We pride ourselves on customer service and I will be presenting your complaint to our guest services agents at our weekly meeting. I want to assure you that this will be taken seriously and it will not happen again.
I do hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in New Orleans!
Assistant General Managaer
2012 Choice Hotels International Gold Award Winner

Ps. Our staff loves the Trolley Stop, the seafood omelet is amazing!
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

This was a last minute find, as the hotel I had originally booked in the Quarter jumped up significantly in price due to the New Orleans Marathon running this weekend (but that's another story). While the Clarion probably bumped up their prices as well, it was still cheaper than anything in the Quarter. This was a great location, especially if you don't mind being outside the FQ. The Garden District has a very "homey" feel to it and having the St. Charles Streetcar line right outside the door was really handy - a 10 minute ride and you are dropped off at Canal and Bourbon. There are lots of restaurants in the immediate vicinity (Zea was good with huge portions) and a handy Walgreens just a block away. The hotel was clean and the room we stayed in was updated and garnered no complaints from me or my family (nice size flat screen tv). The friendliness of the front desk staff could improve, but they did allow for a late checkout after I finished the marathon, so that was very much appreciated. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ozarkultrarunner
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and letting us know about your experiences! I am so glad that for the most part your stay was an enjoyable one. The marathon is such an exciting time in the city! Congrats on finishing it!
Zea's is one of my favorite restaurants. You can't beat good southern food with home crafted beer! Great suggestion for future travelers!
I am so glad you enjoyed your room and enjoyed our 42' TV’s. Those were added at the beginning of the year and we are very excited about them!
I did want to take a second and apologize that you felt our desk staff wasn't the friendliest. I so want each guest to have a personal and warm experience with our staff and I will surely share with them that they did not succeed in giving you that! I do hope you will come back to our city and stay with us again soon!
Choice Hotels International 2012 Gold Award Winner
Uniontown,Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Went to NO in January. Hotel was very good. Quiet with wide hallways, and the elevator was fast and always operational. Its not a large hotel, so there is not the overcrowding. The breakfast area is small, but it is adequate. Great location. Walked to a pizza shop one night up the street. A few blocks away is the Garden district homes, and further up is Tulane Univ. They also provided me with a night of free parking, which was very nice. Would stay there again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Flyerman
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us how we did! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel and the surrounding area! I do hope you will come back and see us soon.
Shreveport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

I really appreciated this hotel. If you are in the city to party, don't let the distance from Bourbon deter you.... Be a local and take the streetcar, which stops directly in front of the hotel!! Or you can wine & dine downstairs at the Cheesecake Bistro!!!! The rooms are updated and for the price, you will want to stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monthlytraveler09
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time out to write about our little property! I am so happy you got to experience New Orleans as a local! New Orleans is SO much more than bourbon street and i love it when people discover the other sides of this great city! We consider ourselves one of the best values in the city and I am pleased you seem to agree! Come back and see us real soon!
warmly,
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

A friend and I stayed here on a recent visit to NoLa. Great location, with plenty of side street parking (free!), and a street car stop right outside. Staff was very helpful, going so far as to map out restaurant suggestions for us. They were also very accomodating with an after midnight check-in and a late check-out that allowed us to shower and change after a late tour. I highly suggest this as a fine hotel in which to stay.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and staff. I am very pleased that my staff made a positive impression on you! We love to suggest our favorite spots in the city and i hope our suggestions did not disappoint! I do hope you will come and see us again on your next trip to new Orleans!
Best Regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

My sister and I (both in our 50s) stayed here in January, and found it to be exactly what we were looking for -- an inexpensive, friendly, satisfactory place with great access by streetcar and foot to the places we most wanted to see. For those who might be looking for something a little different -- a great view, a pool or fitness facilities, great food on-site, or a location within the bustling French Quarter -- this place would disappoint. The location is right on the St. Charles Street streetcar line (at St. Andrew and St. Charles) and near some wonderful Garden District streets/homes, but the immediately adjacent properties are nothing terribly special and the views are likely to be of parking areas. There is a restaurant downstairs (which in all fairness we didn't try) and a small continental breakfast area in the lobby -- but with all the great eats in New Orleans, we opted to go out for every single meal, with fabulous restaurants nearby in the Garden District or 10 minutes away by streetcar in the French Quarter. The rooms were fairly standard, but totally acceptable to us. The beds and pillows were in fact extremely comfortable, I thought. The windows don't open, and I wished I could have gotten some fresh air, but there was a heating/cooling system that allowed me to make the room exactly the temperature I wanted. The desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. Overall, if this hotel fits your particular needs as it did ours, you will be very happy there, as we were.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did. It is our pleasure to meet and assist every one of our guests! I am so glad that you had a good time here in our city and at our property.
You are so correct there are a ton of great eats in the city, but next time i do hope you get to try our restaurant. It will not disappoint! I often say coming to new orleans is like going on a cruise, you gain 10 lbs!
I hope you come and see us again next time your travels take you our way!
2012 Choice Hotels Internation Gold Award Winner