All reviews the owner horse tour ratatouille late at night nothing fancy a great place to relax water bottles visit tikal santiago dock jungle hostel lake peten mario deck laundry
Reviewed March 28, 2018

We arrived at Mon Ami after a long journey. Had a lovely welcome from Elizabet who helped us with our spanish practice. We had booked a private room with bathroom and were shown to a beautiful cabin in the back garden area. Spacious, clean with a half my and hammock. Great beds and views into the trees with hummingbirds every morning at the window. The lake is so refreshing and clean to swim in...the best natural swimming pool and a lovely dock to swim out from. Only slight criticism would be the restaurant. Menu was basic..European style..pasta, fish ..nothing notable but fine. Specials did not change during the week we were there but there are other places nearby, local or expat.

Date of stay: March 2018
Reviewed March 1, 2018

I’d heard there was this great French restaurant in the Petén. They said it was called Mon Ami. We made a point of going there for lunch. Honestly, nothing at all special. Ok, they didn’t serve beans, & tortillas, or Jocon, Pepian,hot dogs & Nachos. But honesty, don’t go out your way to eat there. Looks like most any other hostel to me. Meh....

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed February 26, 2018

I arrived here late at night, soaking wet from a rain shower, with no reservation and was greeted by Santiago and a lovely plate of Ratatouille.

The rooms are simple but ample. Santiago and his staff were very friendly and helpful. The pontoon that reaches out into the lake was really the highlight, however, providing the perfect spot to relax, read, nap and dip into the lake from.

Great point to base yourself to explore Tikal and Flores.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

Well, welcome was not so friendly, a lot of confusion about which room we should be in. Finally got to room, it was v cold, felt not v nice at all. Cold water only in the bathroom (which apparently was fixable...) and it was built so strangely with a v high sink and weird entrance to the shower itself.... was not clean I have to stay, my sheets were stained. Freezing in the night, I slept in my coat (was unusually cold weather for el Remate I guess). Food in restaurant just ok, although flambeed bananas were v tasty. It’s hard to researching budget places to stay in el Remate which is why we picked this one I guess, but there are tons when you arrive, there should be a nicer room available somewhere!!!!

One positive - it has a nice location with nice nature sounds and a nice setting on the lake (but then again I guess most places would).

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2018 via mobile

Good stuff but very basic rooms. You live like on the middle of jungle.
It's near the water and it's very positive. You can enjoy of sun and clear water. Food and drinks are very cheap and if you'r not so demanding this can be a good place to live.

Date of stay: January 2018