All reviewsrv spotsrented a cargreen grasslarge siteslocal sitessite seeingcrazy horsethe loopwould stay here againgreat campgroundfull hookupsdevils towercuster citybuffalo roundupa great staystayed here for nightswind cave
Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

We stayed at this campground our whole visit to the Mt. Rushmore area and enjoyed the quiet campground.
There isn't a lot for the kids to do such as a pool but there were plenty of kids around to keep our 11 year old entertained but not be bothersome.
It is very close to the entrance to Custer Park near the wildlife loop and we drove that every evening. There is also a lake near by with a beach right by the park entrance and tons of hiking trails within a 10 min drive.
The campground is clean and well kept and bathrooms have all the amenities.
It is a ways from Mt Rushmore itself but a beautiful drive no matter which direction you go.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed September 2, 2016

We would not have stayed at this RV Park if we had known that the WiFi was practically non-existent. If you hope to be able to use WiFi here, you're taking a big chance. We depend on WiFi and this facility let us down. The owner needs to understand that if he is going to take your money and advertise that WiFi is supplied, he/she is running a dishonest business. The owner should spend the money on a good system. $10K to $20K should do it. Get some quotes. Get it right. People will give excellent reviews if you make the investment.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 367jim
Reviewed August 29, 2016

We planned our first camping outing in 5 years, which brought excitement for our family as this used to be our favorite thing to do together and with friends......we arrived on Friday evening and were packed and pulling out of our camp spot by 1:00pm on Saturday....and not by choice. Sad sad story for our family. I promised the owner I would share with other families and she told me to make sure I told the truth. I always do. Here is the sucky truth....

My husband ran into town to get something and my 3 big boys (and even their dad, the evening before) were hitting on a stump (like cutting, with an ax, an old stump) a little way up the hill from our camper. That's all. The guy (Ray) came to tell them (I was across the way walking the dogs) it was not OK because it was Forest Service. And then came his wife....she started yelling for them to put their fire out, pack their things up and leave. No joke. My kids were in utter shock. I ran over and asked what was going on and she proceeded to yell at me and tell me that it's "IN the RULES". I told her I didn't have a clue what the issue was and that all she had to do was tell us and we would stop...that she doesn't have to yell and get nasty. She continued on and on about how we need to read the back of the map..."It's on the back of the map! You should have read the map!!!"
I told her I didn't have a clue what she was talking about . My husband signed in and I wasn't with him. I told her he obviously wasn't instructed to "read the map, or we would have" ( I later found out that he was OFFERED a map, but because we had been there before and knew our way around, he turned it down.....without any explanation that there were VERY important rules on the back). Her response over and over was to pack up and leave. I told her if she was going to force us to leave that I wanted a refund. She laughed and told me no and threatened to call the sheriff's department.
While my husband was taking the campsite down I went to their office and found this map and I began to read. ELAINE came in and and put me in my place again. I told her that we realized we had done wrong....the boys apologized, and we didn't see a reason to act disrespectfully. She let me know that she remembered us from years ago where a big group of the guys were bringing down wood from the hills and that we should know better. It's been probably 7? Years maybe since that instance (I'm assuming they take notes on us?)! She also reminded me of a reservation I made years ago (like 7 years ago) that I cancelled or something and she still seemed very angry about it. I think we were pegged when we came in. Our first family outing all year, our first camping trip in 4-5 years.....and we had to leave and head home in less than 12 hours time. I mentioned to her that the way she handles herself undoes everything I've taught my kids about always being respectful under any circumstance. I'm surprised they are still in business. We would have been more than happy to stop doing what we were doing....to fix what we made wrong...to apologize. This was over the top and uncalled for and deserves to be mentioned. I remember this same burst of rage from her a couple of other times years back. Even though the location is one we have many memories of, we won't ever go back.
I will take the time to share my thoughts elsewhere so that other families won't have to make the same mistake of camping here....beautiful location, close to fun hills attractions, but then there is the business/customer service aspect. So please do with this post as you please. If you'd like to share, feel free. My teenage son wishes he would have recorded this to show people how ridiculous it truly was. A grown woman screaming and throwing a fit, unwilling to allow anyone else to talk in her fit of rage. And the office staff didn't even even seem to bat an eye at the yelling....as if it were commonplace. How sad. We wish now that we would have read the reviews on places like TRIP ADVISOR before we took the chance to camp here again. People have plenty to say, and most of it isn't good.

Room Tip: I would not advise camping here at all.....unless you are perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
12  Thank Kendra C
Reviewed August 8, 2016

We booked a cabin at Custer's Gulch for five nights and really liked the place. Most area campgrounds sit very close to the road, but Custer's Gulch enjoys a peaceful location off of the main road. You can easily reach Custer State Park, Badlands and Wind Cave National Parks, Mt. Rushmore, Needles Highway, etc., from there. Wifi was adequate.

The town of Custer offers plenty of restaurants, etc. but NOT the circus-like atmosphere of Keystone or Hill City. We recommend Custer for anyone not needing bungee jumping or multiple putt putt facilities.

If Custer's Gulch has one downside, it would be the restrooms. There is only one restroom for the entire campground with only two showers for all the women. While cleaned frequently, this rest room size was simply not adequate for the traffic it saw. We waited for the shower, and we wondered how to possibly increase the ventilation in there. I realize that the trend is in favor of large, self-contained RV's; campgrounds are unlikely to invest money in these types of facilities. Nonetheless we felt that this was one area of potential improvement.

We felt the need to comment on Elaine. While I did not get warm and fuzzies from her for sure, I also just need her to provide me with a clean, quiet place to stay. I mean, I don't want to go have beers with her or anything. She undoubtedly is responsible for enforcing rules on people who are not used to following the rules. This would leave anyone with a less-than-stellar reputation.

I think Custer's Gulch is probably one of the better campgrounds in the area when you consider location and access to amenitites. I would definitely go back if in the area again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank angangang
Reviewed August 7, 2016

Although we stayed at another campground (Custer's Gulch was booked), they provided excellent car rental service by picking us up and later returning us to our campground the next day. It was a pleasure to support this family-owned business. We thought the rate was fair considering it was practically rented the same day we called for a car. We highly recommend them for car rental.

Stayed: August 2016