All reviews hot tub and sauna custer state park black hills indoor pool purple pie place stay there again microwave and refrigerator stayed here for nights rooms were very clean bit dated air conditioner separate bedroom bed was comfortable small room crazy horse rapid city home base
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for an extended weekend trip which was quite relaxing! The room was very clean and despite it's age was very well maintained. The staff was also very friendly. They have breakfast coupons for a little restaurant down the street and we bought six and ate there every morning (highly recommended)! We didn't go to the pool but it's the talk of the town.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2013

After reading the reviews, we were intrigued. My husband made reservations here to serve as a "home base" during our stop at Custer State Park. The hotel is close enough to the park, but in the cool little town. The Chief has a handy location and there's little need to drive to grab a bite at the many local restaurants. The rooms are average and we had a room with two double beds, split between 2 rooms. The AC/heater (heater in our case, as it was cold at night) was LOUD, but it added to the "charm"of the hotel. You should expect a hotel that was built in the 70's (I am guessing) and nothing more. We are a low key family of 4 and the hotel met our needs. We prefer to stay at local places whenever possible. The pool is in a separate building and you MUST leave your room and walk across the parking lot, which is a short walk if you are on the "inside" of the horseshoe shaped motel. Very chilly walk when we visited, but the pool area was an awesome place to relax after your daytime adventures. The breakfast deal is well worth it and the restaurant is a pleasant walk from the motel.

Room Tip: If you plan to use the pool and will visit when the weather could be cool, request a room along the inner parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 225juliep
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We spent one night in this hotel during our midwest roundtrip. The manager was very friendly when we checked in. The room was clean and attractively furnished. We had a good breakfast for two dollar with eggs and coffee served. Three days after leaving I found out that I forgot my battery charger. After e-mailing to the manager that I forgot my charger, he sent it to me on my home address in the Netherlands free of charge. It is the best service I ever had.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here for one night in August. The rate was the best we could find. The room was clean and had 2 BR. Second BR could (at least) use a ceiling fan. We had the $1.99 breakfast which did not include tea or coffee, but they cost something like 42 cents with free refills! Hard to believe it's 2012! We did not have time to use the pool or spa, but they looked nice. We would have enjoyed it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Really good place to stay. A little dated but room was spacious, bed comfortable and owner very friendly and helpful with advice on the area. If I am through Custer again, I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 130 and would ask for it again.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple