All reviews no idea positive energy pastry chef little boy every night junior suite fantastic service on arrival whole team gourmet food comfortable beds wine list hotel is located beatrice reception mother lunch
Reviewed March 29, 2018

Not many of us, can find a place where they feel at home. Thurnher’s Alpenhof is the place where you get all of it but more. Home, luxury, excellent service, tasty gourmet food. All you can dream about or expect – this is where you have it all. The rooms at the hotel are very cosy, with the comfortable beds and pillows and if you are lucky enough, you will also get the best view of the mountains. It is all about the details here, everything is made with love, just like at home. If you are looking for a place to stay, that is not overcrowded, full of privacy, luxury, and fantastic service where you will feel at home, this is the right place for you to stay. The owners of the hotel, are always there for you upon your arrival and departure as well as during your stay. The hotel can be described in three words: home, luxury, positive energy. Can not wait to be back here again.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Marika A, Assistant to General Manager at Thurnher's Alpenhof, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2018

Thank you so much for this lovely words! We can't wait to welcome you again.

Your Thurnher's Alpenhof Team

Reviewed February 13, 2018

We stayed for 5 nights 4 - 9 Feb 2018.

On arrival we were a little disappointed with our room as it was very small (Junior suite with fireplace) but it was nicely decorated with a newly refurbished bathroom. The linen and towels were good quality.

We went to the bar before dinner but were the only people in there.

Dinner was very nice with a choice for main course. We asked for the wine list but it was so confusing we requested some help. We asked for a Riesling and Luca said he new just the one. (normally in a 5 star location they show you several items on the wine list and you can then choose the price range to suit) This did not happen. The wine was very nice but we had no idea of the price.(105 euro it turned out) It appears you do not sign for the wine so you have no idea until the end of your stay. We decided to have tap water in opposed to bottled. (our preference)

There were approximately 12 people in the restaurant therefore lacking any ambiance.

Breakfast was good and there was someone cooking eggs.

At breakfast we were presented with the evening menu and asked to choose the main course, which would be either meat or fish (please note both dishes were served with the same veg etc. which I found strange). This is not what I would expect from a 5 star premises. Probably this was because the hotel was so empty they did not want to waste food> Fairs to say come the evening they did ask if we still wanted what we had chosen in the morning.

On our fourth night we decided we only wanted wine by the glass as we had been out to lunch. I asked for a glass of house white and my husband a glass of house red.

On last night we asked for a bottle of the house red that my husband had the night before. The gentleman that was serving us asked if it was a certain wine and we said did not know just that it was the house wine the same as the night before. He said he was working in the bar the previous night so he new the one. Imagine our surprise when we got the bill!!! It turns out my glass of white was 7.50euro (acceptable) and my husband red was 20 euro - for house wine???? (not acceptable) Mores to the point it we were charged 139 euros for the bottle - which doesn't stack up - 6 glasses to the bottle 6 x 20 = 120???? Just be careful and clarify the cost. We were also charged for a litre bottle of water on 4 out of the five nights (only had tap)

We found the room very noisy, we could hear the people the next room banging the doors and their alarm going off, we were also next to the lift so can imagine it would have been extremely noisy had the hotel been full.

The hotel owner and her mother were charming and made a point of saying hello each evening as they also had their meal in the dining room.

We also found the majority of the staff very pleasant.

Will we return - no - all in all quite disappointing

Room tip: Don't choose 443 its next to the lift
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
LW0109, Geschäftsführer at Thurnher's Alpenhof, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Thurnher's Alpenhof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Thurnher's Alpenhof, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

Dr. Beatrice Zarges with the hole team

Reviewed January 7, 2018

I spend a large part of my life in hotels and the team at Thurners (where I’ve just spent 5 nights with my wife and son) are some of the friendliest and most professional staff I’ve ever encountered. Marika at reception, Luca and Marie-luise in the restaurant as well as the excellent and knowledgeable sommelier make this a pleasure of a hotel to visit. It is family owned and the owners make a point of speaking to all the guests on a regular basis. Food is a solid 9 out of 10 although less courses or a low fat option for dinner would be fine/helpful for the waistline. Some magnificent and memorable Austrian dishes and the pastry chef made the best strudel I’ve ever tasted. The ambiance in the restaurant is really warm and welcoming and it is beautifully lit. Accommodation is expensive but it is the Alps in peak season and I found drinks in the bar, extras etc very reasonable compared to Gstaad or Courcheval 1850. Rooms were traditionally furnished and although slightly dated were spotlessly clean and personally I prefer character to regimented corporate style. But please........can you invest in some new pillows !
What didn’t I like ? One thing really bugged me - I am the parent of several children myself but having small unruly kids galloping around the restaurant up till 10pm, often screaming etc and interfering with dinner with their parents seemingly disinterested - is simply not acceptable for this standard of hotel. I understand from a business point of view that attracting large parties celebrating Russian new year represent important clients, but not when they will stop others returning. One little boy ran wild every night and we saw him picking up bread from the buffet and licking it, and putting his hands near hot plates. When my children were small I expected to have room service OR dine early, and most high end Alpine establishments would not allow this. Over breakfast perhaps, but not when other guests are having a quiet or romantic dinner. I think very young children should be out of the Thurners restaurant by 830 and there should be plastic guards around the buffet area to stop them touching the food.
Aside from this I thought the hotel overall was excellent although next time I may try the Zurserhof or Bentleys to have a quieter dinner experience !

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2017

I stayed here with my son for the Easter week. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome and special. It was coming towards the end of the season so the hotel wasn't very busy. As a result the staff upgraded our room for us. We were very grateful as they didn't need to do that. I understand that the rooms are been upgraded so I would like to see those as our room was not newly decorated. However, the room was spotless and served twice a day. There was plenty of storage and the room was toasty. My Little boy loved Molton and Brown toiletries too.
The hotel is located close to the slopes and the boot room is heated with individual lockers - EXCELLENT.
We used the swimming pool - again it was clean and well serviced with plenty of towels.
From breakfast to dinner the F&B offer was superb. The staff went way over to provide additional treats at breakfast and also at dinner. The porridge in the morning was lovely, omelettes were great and there was plenty of fruit, juices, meats, cereals, breads on offer and then dinner was a fantastic. I can not think of another restaurant where the staff and the chef have tried so hard to provide the very best in both service and quality of food.
The bar was warm and inviting and again the staff were helpful and chatty.
I liked the fact that the owner Beatrice was around and about all the time and went out of her way to chat every day and ensure that we were happy with our stay. I loved this hotel and I can not recommend it highly enough. We were sad to leave.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2017

I have long hesitated about this review, what to say or how to rate this hotel.
It is a very good hotel and has so many plus points but then it falls again in other areas or rather, one area, the front office.
All of our problems were related to the front office or rather one particular gentleman at reception.
We stayed for a week in February with our four children and nanny.
From the start, even before we arrived, things started to go wrong.
I had written to the hotel and asked for a car pick up from Zürich. From experience, with 7 people and luggage I know I have to stress that we require a big car, I always state the ages of children and ask for appropriate car seats. Our children's ages range from 3 to 8, so obviously, all of them would require car seats by law when driving, at least in Switzerland.
When the car arrived, it was far too small, without children's seats, the driver was told he had to pick up only 2 adults.
We had to put 2 children in one seat and with the luggage under our feet made the 2hr journey to Zürs.
On arrival, I mentioned the wrong car to the receptionist, this particular young man I will be talking about throughout my review, but it wasn't really acknowledged, nor did he apologise for it.
There were more smaller issues such as wrong ski passes, ski school vouchers instead of ski nursery vouchers which in itself are minor problems but it still required gong back to reception and having it rectified. It was February, not the beginning of the skiing season, so he should have known by now what passes to issue.

My husband and I decided to change rooms. There was nothing wrong with the room we were given, in fact, it was a beautiful, newly refurbished room, but it was a little bit too small for us so I asked the gentleman at reception for a bigger room, with separate shower, at the back of the hotel.
He told me that a room would be available the following day and we agreed to move rooms the next day after skiing.
The following day after some delays he sent the porters up to collect our luggage without me having seen the room prior.
When we entered the room, it was an unrefurbished room with no separate shower and when I went yet again to reception I was told the room we had discussed the previous day, was in the meantime given to someone else and the gentleman at reception claimed I had only asked to see the room, not to change rooms.
I complained to a lady at reception who seemed to be more experienced than him and she found us a very nice room meeting most of our requirements.
All this happened at the beginning of the stay and somewhat soured our first impression of the Thurnerhof.
Every other aspect of the hotel was very good.
The food was absolutely delicious, they were very flexible about ordering off the menu, the lounge is lovely for afternoon coffee and the children enjoyed coming back from skiing to a savoury snack and cakes.
Housekeeping was very good, we couldn't fault anything else!
There is a lot of attention to detail and even the kids room has high quality furniture and soft furnishings.
We had more issues with our gentleman at reception on checkout.
He had misinformed me on email prior to our arrival about the deposit we had paid which caused some confusion, an extra bed was charged for our children which shouldn't have been. This was finally all clarified on checkout, but other things continued after our departure.
I had reminded him to add the airport transfer on departure to the invoice which he did, however a few days later I received an email, it seems it still wasn't added to the invoice, even though it is on the invoice, I have no idea how that could have happened and we still have to trawl through our credit card statements to see what was actually charged. This is all unnecessary hassle.

The owner of the hotel is a very nice lady and she is very involved with the hotel, so I cannot understand how all these mistakes could have happened. Having a well functioning reception team is imperative to the running of a hotel.
I told her about the problems we had with her staff member and she apologised but I think she could have done more than saying "I am sorry, I hope you will still come back". That's not good enough for a hotel of that caliber.
In regards to this particular member of staff, as I said, he was involved in every single blunder we had at the hotel and I don't think he is suitable to work at this hotel.
I can imagine how difficult it must be to hire and keep good staff, especially in seasonal resorts, but other hotels manage and keep the same staff for years and years.

Would we come back? I think we would, it is still a very nice hotel and I hope the owner will employ more experienced staff next year.

Date of stay: February 2017