“Restored my faith in the BW brand”

Best Western Gardens Hotel at Joshua Tree National Park
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Twentynine Palms
London, United Kingdom
“Restored my faith in the BW brand”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

After our awful BW experience in Page, AZ, we were starting to question our loyalty to the BW brand, and had some trepidation about our upcoming stay in 29 Palms. What a lovely surprise. Because we are BW rewards members, we were upgraded to a king suite and given water, cookies and a handwritten thank you note from the management. The suite was huge and very comfortable, and absolutely spotlessly clean. There was a well-equipped kitchen, which we didn't really need, and that was also spotless.

What really makes this property, though, is the staff and management. We were made to feel as though they were really happy we were staying there and nothing was too much trouble; whether towels for the pool or making change for large bills, everything came with a smile.

The breakfast was really good quality, and always included a couple of hot items. The lady presiding over the breakfast room was always smiling and welcoming, and it too was spotlessly clean.

The Wednesday night 'guest appreciation reception' is amazing. We were welcomed in, given the choice of beer, wine or soft drinks, and invited to help ourselves from a variety of items including caesar salad, spaghetti with 3 different sauces and garlic bread. We had a good meal, and it was all free. Just to thank their guests for staying with them. We got the impression that some of the guests were regulars, and I don't blame them.

We saw a number of military personnel around, but they were impeccably behaved so I can't comment on the complaints of a previous guest about drunken behaviour; we never saw any.

Lastly the cost: $339 for 3 nights including all taxes. I call that a bargain.

If your plans include 29 Palms, you should stay at this hotel. In fact, if your plans don't include 29 Palms, you should go there anyway to experience true hospitality.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UKExpatNewYork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Centralia, Potomia
Reviewed 17 June 2011

It had been years since I last stayed at a Best Western. This, the 29 Palms property, has to be a real "flagship." The staff -- everybody -- was incredibly friendly and helpful and seemed very enthusiastice about their workplace. The rooms are clean, well maintained, and comfortable and the complimentary breakfast is a real winner. The property itself is very attractive and has a definite desert feeling to it. Likely the local manager is the source of the spirit of the place. Whatever, our stay, short as it was, turned out to be one of the best motel experience we have ever had.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Riverside, CA
Reviewed 29 May 2011

This is an older motel that is maintained well. The large room had pleasant decor and good lighting except in the sink area (which is outside of the bathroom). The room had a small table with two chairs, a desk and chair, a large mini-fridge with freezer, and a small microwave. The air conditioner was effective but somewhat noisy, and we had some difficulty adjusting to just the right temperature at night. The bed was comfortable, and we got a good night's sleep. The shower had a nice, large showerhead and plenty of hot water. The breakfast included a pretty good selection of items, but the hot items were of mediocre quality. We felt that the price of a room--in excess of $100--was unreasonable for an average motel out in the middle of the desert.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Costa Mesa
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The entire staff here was unbelievably friendly and helpful. We happened to arrive on a Wednesday night and they invited us to join the Customer Appreciation Happy Hour Buffet (wine/beer/food) which was just excellent. They offered many selections of food/drink and it was practically a whole meal.
When we checked out, we accidentally left a bag behind. They phoned my home to tell us the bag had been found by Housekeeping and we made arrangements sto pick it up the next day. Very, very attentive, helpful and accommodating. AND the rooms were large, clean and comfortable. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I am a Best Western "member" and usually default to this brand when higher quality lodging is not available (Marriot, Hilton, etc). I have no issue with the room quality, location, great pool, or free breakfast. I got exactly as I expected for a room costing $109/night. What I didn't expect (and guess I should have had some clue about this as 29 Palms is a military town), the amount of really really drunk Marines, using the hot tub and pool, drunk off their butts and also smoking pot in the hot tub, passed out in the stairwell, and barely able to walk in the hallways. Eventually complained to the front desk and threatened to call the police. It's a shame, because my girlfriend and I expected a relaxing time by the pool, using the hot tub, and instead, we had to deal with a bunch of absolute meatheads. I would think twice about staying here but then again, not sure where else you'd stay in this sad, depressing town that lacks anything of quality and substance.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moondoggie61
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I literally just signed up for the Best Western rewards program two weeks ago, so I was shocked (in a good way) when I checked into the Best Western Garden Inn & Suites after a day at Joshua Tree National Park, and was given the VIP treatment. Not only was I upgraded to a king room, but I was given cookies, bottled water, and a personalized, hand written thank you note from the hotel manager. All of this just to thank me for being a rewards member! The room was large and mostly clean (the computer desk needed a good wipe), with a large LCD TV mounted on the wall. Breakfast was great as well, with lots of selection. My only complaint is the nosiy neighbors above me. I was on the ground floor and could hear the people above me making a lot noise while I was trying to sleep - either a child or dog running back and forth, plus what sounded like dragging the furniture across the room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We had a wonderful stay at this Best Western. It exceeded our expectations...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twentynine Palms
0.6 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynine Palms-Joshua Tree National Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynin...
#2 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
2.1 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Twentynine Palms- Joshua Tree
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Twe...
#6 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
30.2 km away
Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites
4.9 km away
Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park
Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - ...
#7 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
0.7 km away
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#8 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
0.7 km away
Americas Best Value Inn - Joshua Tree / Twentynine Palms
Americas Best Value Inn - Joshua...
#11 of 12 in Twentynine Palms

Been to Best Western Gardens Hotel at Joshua Tree National Park? Share your experiences!